Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Render nodes?

Xtaz

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's time to renew my A:M subscription and how do I must proceed with render nodes ?

Are render nodes a yearly subscription too ?

Technically the rendernodes are attached to one subscription / activation code.

In that aspect: Yes, they are a subscription too.

But this is not an official Hash-statement. I just had to program it that way,

because it was the only possible (technically possible) way to do it.

See you

*Fuchur*

• 1 year later...
  • Hash Fellow
How does the net render work?

Install it to another computer -

It doesn't have to be on another computer. I have one computer with a quad core CPU and i use that for my four render nodes included with my A:M subscription.

open prj file - render?

Basically yes. You run NetRender, load a PRJ, load a "Preset", then decide how many render nodes to devote to the render.

A Preset is something you save from A:M that captures all the render settings so you don't have to make them all over again in NetRender.

It doesn't have to be on another computer. I have one computer with a quad core CPU and i use that for my four render nodes included with my A:M subscription.

open prj file - render?

Basically yes. You run NetRender, load a PRJ, load a "Preset", then decide how many render nodes to devote to the render.

A Preset is something you save from A:M that captures all the render settings so you don't have to make them all over again in NetRender.

Thanks, is the preset a different file? I am about to set up a production line with A:M and external PC dedicated to render in May.

Everyone is new to A:M and heavy render test.

open prj file - render?

Thanks, is the preset a different file? I am about to set up a production line with A:M and external PC dedicated to render in May.

Everyone is new to A:M and heavy render test.

Yes, a preset is a different file. It has the file extension ".pre".

There are many ways to go about setting such a thing up, but the most common and straight forward one is:

- One server (computer > does not need any server-os but will be refered as a server here) should be used to run netrenderer on it. Depending on the amount of rendernodes used (how many computers are used to communicate with it) and how many cores this server has, you may be able to render with it too by activating renderslaves on it. At least one core should be dedicated to netrender (server)-service.

- Every computer should have a network drive with the same drive letter (for instance P:/) from which it can access the project-files (including PRJ, texture-files, other external resources, etc.). (there are ways to do it otherwise, but I would not recommend that, since it is much more setting up work). I recommend to let them output their results to one folder accessable to all computers (for instance "P:/[Projectname]/output/v1/".

- On each computer you need to install Netrenderer and run it. The licencing will be done on the server. That means the server needs the rendernode-enabled lic-file to be installed. The slaves do not need that.

- First start one renderslave on each computer and right-click on the icon in the taskbar. In the options set the servers IP-address (something like 192.168.0.1, or whatever IP your server has).

- Now start additional renderslaves for each computer till you hit the limit of cores the computer has. (a quadcore should use 4 renderslaves at max).

- On the server you can open a new Renderjob by opening the project-file and setting it up with the preset-file (be sure to use the network drive letter if the projectfiles are placed on the server too, not the local one when opening the project file. Otherwise the renderslaves on the other computers will look for it locally too and will not find it).

Important: Render to image sequences! Netrenderer can not render to AVIs directly. You first need to render to an image sequence and you can put the image sequence together using A:M later in the process (if you need that... most post production software can use image sequences)

That should give you a little head start on the topic ;). If you have other questions, please feel free to ask :).

See you

*Fuchur*

Thanks for the reply,

I shall forward it to the computer guy, will have 2 to 3 separate PC no slaves for rendering, we have five licenses.

A:M comes with 4 Rendernodes if you buy a licence. Animation:Master itself will not be connectable to netrenderer but the rendernodes/slaves it comes with are.

I am not exactly sure if Netrenderer will be able to "see" that you have 4 A:M-installations available since the licencing is typically done on the computer netrenderer runs on and it references the licence on that computer.

If it does not, you may have to speak to Hash to get a licence with all the codes in it. Since you bought 2 or 3 licences recently, I am sure they will put that together for you. Jason is the guy to go to at support@hash.com if it is not possible right away like that.

See you

*Fuchur*

Thanks for the reply,

I shall forward it to the computer guy, will have 2 to 3 separate PC no slaves for rendering, we have five licenses.

A:M comes with 4 Rendernodes if you buy a licence. Animation:Master itself will not be connectable to netrenderer but the rendernodes/slaves it comes with are.

I am not exactly sure if Netrenderer will be able to "see" that you have 4 A:M-installations available since the licencing is typically done on the computer netrenderer runs on and it references the licence on that computer.

If it does not, you may have to speak to Hash to get a licence with all the codes in it. Since you bought 2 or 3 licences recently, I am sure they will put that together for you. Jason is the guy to go to at support@hash.com if it is not possible right away like that.

See you

*Fuchur*

Thanks for the clarification, that is what I was wondering and might as well buy more A:M license so that composite and post effects can be done with the full access of prj file.

• Hash Fellow
Thanks for the clarification, that is what I was wondering and might as well buy more A:M license so that composite and post effects can be done with the full access of prj file.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. NetRender will be able to render anything that A:M can render, you shouldn't need extra A:M licenses unless, of course you want to work in A:M on those other computers.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. NetRender will be able to render anything that A:M can render, you shouldn't need extra A:M licenses unless, of course you want to work in A:M on those other computers.

Sounds to me like working in A:M while rendering which would mean buying new A:M lics. I think he knows aboit rendernodes which can be bought without a full A:M.

see u

*Fuchur*

Well, I never use netrender before and tried that it crashes every time, don't have the time to find out what when wrong because I don't know enough about computer, my work schedule don't allow me to learn on the fly but most of all, the production team is new to 3D and require me to check or edit the prj before rendering at different location.

Also intern can learn using the additional PC when it is not rendering. From my past experience, heavy rendering shortens the life span of the computer, so we use older computer to do it.

Well, I never use netrender before and tried that it crashes every time, don't have the time to find out what when wrong because I don't know enough about computer, my work schedule don't allow me to learn on the fly but most of all, the production team is new to 3D and require me to check or edit the prj before rendering at different location.

Also intern can learn using the additional PC when it is not rendering. From my past experience, heavy rendering shortens the life span of the computer, so we use older computer to do it.

Is this because of the problem you had with a v13-file in another thread? For me, Netrenderer works well. Just test it with a few frames here and it worked as it should.

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: It certainly makes sense that heavy rendering (better to say the long running time when rendering and the higher strain on the hardware may result in problems faster... have you some kind of comparision possibilties between two equal computers or something?