Photo

How To Participate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
71 replies to this topic

#1 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4632 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:37 PM

PARTICIPATING IN THE SCARECROW OF OZ (SO) MOVIE PROJECT.
This document is a work in progress.
If you have questions, please send an email to project.scarecrow@gmail.com.

* UPGRADE TO THE MOST CURRENT VERSION OF ANIMATION MASTER.
This is important because certain features get bug fixes and/or work slightly differently between A:M versions. We should all be using the same version of the software to avoid unexpected problems.

* FILL OUT THE FORM AT THE ADDRESS BELOW.
http://www.hash.com/two/svn.php
This will tell Jason Simonds you are requesting access to SVN. Also, you should send an email to jason@hash.com requesting svn access.

*FILL OUT THE FORM AT THE ADDRESS BELOW.
http://spreadsheets....e...&email=true
This will enter you into the system so we can email you assignments. We are currently offering Animation assignments. All modeling and rigging has been done. If you want to animate, this is a nice opportunity.

* DOWNLOAD AN SVN (SUBVERSION) CLIENT AND READ THE DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO USE IT.
For PC users: http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
For Mac users: synchro svn client ot you might try SC Plugin for Mac
The above links are just suggestions. Feel free to use your own favorite SVN client.

* DOWNLOAD THE SCARECROW OF OZ PROJECT FILES
Url of Repository: http://project.hash..../so/active/data
Once you receive confirmation, create a folder somewhere on your computer named "Scarecrow of Oz".
You must read the directions for your svn program to learn how to download the project files from the Subversion repository.
If you use TortoiseSVN, right click on your "Scarecrow of Oz" folder and choose "SVN Checkout" from the context menu.
In the window that appears, enter "http://project.hash....so/active/data" (without the quotes) in the field labeled "URL of Repository".
For "Checkout directory", click on the button labeled "..." to browse to your "Scarecrow of Oz" folder on your computer. Then hit "OK".
GIVE YOURSELF PLENTY OF TIME TO DOWNLOAD THE DATA. YOU WILL BE DOWNLOADING OVER A GIGABYTE OF DATA.
svn_checkout.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This info is outdated. It no longer applies.

* STAY UP TO DATE ON THE PROJECT STATUS
Once your forum group status has been changed to "Film", you will have access to the SO private forum. In this forum is a thread named "Status Reports". http://www.hash.com/...showtopic=32490
The first post in that thread will always have links to one or more PDF files showing the current status of various aspects of the project. Any Modeling,Rigging or Texturing task labeled "Unassigned" is up for grabs. (Animation tasks will be assigned by the production manager)

*CHOOSE/ACCEPT A TASK
If you see an Unassigned Modeling,Rigging or Texturing task you want to work on in the Status Report, create a new thread in the appropriate Scarecrow of Oz sub-forum:
SO:Modeling - http://www.hash.com/...p?showforum=127
SO:Texturing - http://www.hash.com/...p?showforum=129
This will let everyone know that the task has been Claimed. If you do not create a thread in the appropriate sub-forum, you run the risk of someone else "Claiming" the task. In the first post to your newly created thread, simply state your intention to complete this task. The production manager will update the status of the task in the Status Report and will assign you to the task.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have been assigned an Animation task, create a new thread in
SO:Animating - http://www.hash.com/...p?showforum=128
Named after the Act, Sequence and Shot of the animation task. For example, 1_01_05. Don't worry, the name of the task you have been assigned will be named correctly. Just use that.

*UPLOAD/UPDATE YOUR PROGRESS REGULARLY
As you work on your task, upload your daily progress to the SVN repository. As you upload your progress, the SVN repository automatically saves different versions, so if there is ever a problem, you can revert to a previous version and continue working.
If you are using TortoiseSVN, right-click on any file(s) you have modified and choose "SVN Commit" from the context menu.
Also provide updates to your forum thread for your task with pictures, movies etc. for others to review your work.
IMPORTANT When you use SVN to upload your progress, please enter a meaningful message in the SVN "Message" box. The message tells the Production Manager what work was done, if you have encountered a problem, and/or if you consider the task "completed".
svn_commit_dialog.jpg
IF THERE IS NO ACTIVITY ON SVN OR THE FORUM THREAD FOR THE TASK FOR MORE THAN TWO WEEKS, THE TASK WILL REVERT TO
"UNASSIGNED/ABANDONED" AND/OR WILL BE REASSIGNED TO SOMEONE ELSE.

*IF YOU CANNOT UPLOAD YOUR FILES
If, for some reason,you cannot upload your files to the SVN repository, zip them up and upload them to the forum thread you created for your task.
If you cannot upload your files to the forum, email them to project.scarecrow@gmail.com.
Someone will add the files to the SVN repository for you.

*KEEP YOUR LOCAL SVN FOLDERS CURRENT
Every day, "Update" your "Scarecrow of Oz" folder.
If you are using TortoiseSVN, right-click on your "Scarecrow of Oz" folder and choose "SVN Update" from the context menu. This will download any files that have been added or changed, and will ensure you are always working with the most current versions of all files.

*SVN TIPS
"Update" means: Download the most current files from the repository.
"Commit" means: Upload your changes to the SVN repository.
ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS UPDATE YOUR LOCAL SCARECROW OF OZ FOLDER EACH DAY BEFORE YOU DO ANY WORK! This is true even for tasks you are in the middle of. This will reduce the risk of you having to deal with conflicted files between your local folder and the svn repository.

#2 thefreshestever

thefreshestever

Prolific

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:53 AM

how can i be assigned to an animation task? i really would like to do some animation...

#3 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

how can i be assigned to an animation task? i really would like to do some animation...

*FILL OUT THE FORM AT THE ADDRESS BELOW.
http://spreadsheets....e...&email=true
This will enter you into the system so we can email you assignments.

It will be a little while before we are ready for animation, but you are more than welcome to join the fun when animation starts!

#4 adam&oliver

adam&oliver

Journeyman

• A:M User
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:49 AM

Ok, so I've Filled out both forms, and downloaded the "SO" project files. How do I know if I have an assignment?
"Whether it is generated by hand or by computer, the first goal of the animator is to entertain."
-Lasseter (1987)

#5 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:17 PM

Hi adam&oliver,
Sorry, I just got back into town. Was out for a week. When you filled out the form ( ../two/svn.phphttp://spreadsheets....e...&email=true ), did you enter "animatingadam" as your user name? I don't have any record of an "adam&oliver" in the form results.

Ok, so I've Filled out both forms, and downloaded the "SO" project files. How do I know if I have an assignment?

#6 adam&oliver

adam&oliver

Journeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

Yep I put animatingadam as username
"Whether it is generated by hand or by computer, the first goal of the animator is to entertain."
-Lasseter (1987)

#7 Jeetman

Jeetman

Prolific

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:44 AM

Well I updated to v15 last night and I'm ready to get started with SO. As I put on the form, I'm interested in trying some modeling as well as animating so where do I start to get into the modeling end of things? Also, I'd think that the shared data files from TWO would be used in SO. I have about 40 gig of files from my TWO folder now. Can we use the shared files from TWO or do I have to create a completely separate folder for the SO files and download from scratch? Thanks, George
Boards don't hit back!
Bruce Lee (Enter the Dragon)

#8 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 09 July 2008 - 02:56 PM

I'm interested in trying some modeling as well as animating so where do I start to get into the modeling end of things?

Once your forum group status has been changed to "Film", you will have access to the SO private forum. In this forum is a thread named "Status Reports". http://www.hash.com/...showtopic=32490
The first post in that thread will always have links to one or more PDF files showing the current status of various aspects of the project. Any Modeling,Rigging or Texturing task labeled "Unassigned" is up for grabs. (Animation tasks will be assigned by the production manager)

*CHOOSE/ACCEPT A TASK
If you see an Unassigned Modeling,Rigging or Texturing task you want to work on in the Status Report, create a new thread in the appropriate Scarecrow of Oz sub-forum:
SO:Modeling - http://www.hash.com/...p?showforum=127
SO:Texturing - http://www.hash.com/...p?showforum=129
This will let everyone know that the task has been Claimed. If you do not create a thread in the appropriate sub-forum, you run the risk of someone else "Claiming" the task. In the first post to your newly created thread, simply state your intention to complete this task. The production manager will update the status of the task in the Status Report and will assign you to the task.

Can we use the shared files from TWO or do I have to create a completely separate folder for the SO files and download from scratch?

You're welcome to give it a try, though I don't know how you would do it. However, I imagine you'll actually save time and several headaches by downloading the entire SO data tree from scratch while you go out and enjoy a nice meal :)

#9 Jeetman

Jeetman

Prolific

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

OK I'm up to date with the svn. I expected it to take a lot longer than it did to get the files. I looked at the status pdf. Unfortunately not much left to model that'd be within my skill level. I'm pretty good at mechanical modeling. George
Boards don't hit back!

#10 Eric2575

Eric2575

SplineMeister

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 2570 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

I followed the instructions up to the point of downloading the repository, after inserting the link to the active movie data. It's been running over an hour now with no end in sight. Well, I wanted to check what was being downloaded onto my hard drive and found all the old stuff for TWO??? Why is all the TWO data being downloaded? I copied the link right from the SO instruction page. Also, the one gig download is now 3 and going up.
Check out my video tutorials on YouTube: Mechanical Modeling primer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onuWs511k_U

#11 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:44 AM

I followed the instructions up to the point of downloading the repository, after inserting the link to the active movie data. It's been running over an hour now with no end in sight. Well, I wanted to check what was being downloaded onto my hard drive and found all the old stuff for TWO??? Why is all the TWO data being downloaded? I copied the link right from the SO instruction page. Also, the one gig download is now 3 and going up.

You should not be downloading any old TWO data. We copied some assets over from TWO, but most of them have been renamed and/or reorganized, so if you notice that you are downloading a blatant copy of the TWO data tree, you are downloading the wrong repository.

The SO data tree is only about 1.7GB at the moment. If you are downloading over 3GB, you are either downloading from the wrong repository or you are also downloading the preview movies/animatics which are in a separate tree structure.

Make absolutely certain you are downloading from http://project.hash..../so/active/data instead of from some old URL you entered some time in the past.

#12 Eric2575

Eric2575

SplineMeister

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 2570 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 12:25 PM

It's solved, the SVN walkthrough has to old repository link. I already downloaded the SO files. Maybe the SVN walkthrough should be updated to reflect the SO link since it is advised we should follow the SVN walkthrough?
Check out my video tutorials on YouTube: Mechanical Modeling primer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onuWs511k_U

#13 higginsdj

higginsdj

OSX & Wun Subscriptions

• Film
  • 3699 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:48 PM

The link reports that it is broken.......
D a v i d H i g g i n s
Canberra, Australia

#14 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

The link reports that it is broken.......

I just tried it and it works fine for me. Also clicked on the link in the post to download the pdf report and that worked too. Not sure how to fix the issue you are having because I can't reproduce it.

#15 KenH

KenH

Blind Lord of all he sees.

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

David, that thread is in the Film Private area. You need to have Film listed in your group......where you have contributor.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models
Get your AM problems fixed at AM:Reports

#16 higginsdj

higginsdj

OSX & Wun Subscriptions

• Film
  • 3699 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:21 PM

Hmmmm. Makes it interesting for contributors to see the status of anything! Cheers David
D a v i d H i g g i n s
Canberra, Australia

#17 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:01 AM

I guess that page is just for those working on the movie. There are other threads not in the private area that give an idea of how things are going.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#18 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • 6643 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 03:51 AM

Makes it interesting for contributors to see the status of anything!

Contributors don't have any problem seeing the topics once they are part of the forum's 'Film' group.
Getting an inside look at the process is part of the benefits of getting involved in a community project.

As Ken suggests the public SO forum areas are there to help others get a peek into the progress of the film.
A good idea is a seed, not a solution
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#19 Jeetman

Jeetman

Prolific

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 08:26 AM

I got my first animation assignment Saturday but I didn't get a chance to work on it over the weekend so I'm going to start tonight. My question is: Is there a dot project for "SO"? If so, could you please give me the link. Thanks, George
Boards don't hit back!

#20 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

I got my first animation assignment Saturday but I didn't get a chance to work on it over the weekend so I'm going to start tonight. My question is:

Is there a dot project for "SO"? If so, could you please give me the link.

Thanks,
George

At the moment, there is no DotProject for SO. We will gauge progress through what you upload to svn, and reply through email. Please do not upload movies to the "so/active/data/" folder. If you upload movies to svn (not everyone did on TWO), please upload to the appropriate folder in "so/active/mov".

#21 clonewar12345

clonewar12345

Journeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 08:05 PM

Im sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but i searched and im still clueless. Is this the same as TWO? I thought that was finished. Is it a sequel?

#22 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

Is this the same as TWO? I thought that was finished. Is it a sequel?

This movie is not the same as "Tinwoodman of Oz" (TWO).

"Scarecrow of Oz" (SO) is a new movie effort based on Baum's story.

Baum did about 14? different books taking place in OZ.

#23 clonewar12345

clonewar12345

Journeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:38 PM

Ok thanks....I was a little confused. All this TWO and SO going around :-)

#24 case

case

The man with no plan

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 03:27 AM

David, that thread is in the Film Private area. You need to have Film listed in your group......where you have contributor.

And you would accomplish this how?
"Take control of your destiny. Believe in yourself. Ignore those who try to discourage you. Avoid negative sources, people, places, things and habits. Don't give up and don't give in."
Wanda Carter

#25 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 04:42 AM

And you would accomplish this how?

Good question. I thought it was in the above information. I assume you send an email to either Holmes or Martin.
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#26 case

case

The man with no plan

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:26 AM

Haha didn't think it was simple LOL!
"Take control of your destiny. Believe in yourself. Ignore those who try to discourage you. Avoid negative sources, people, places, things and habits. Don't give up and don't give in."
Wanda Carter

#27 Raffi

Raffi

CG animation fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:14 PM

* UPGRADE TO THE MOST CURRENT VERSION OF ANIMATION MASTER.
This is important because certain features get bug fixes and/or work slightly differently between A:M versions. We should all be using the same version of the software to avoid unexpected problems.

I am still on AM V14. Can I work with this? Or am I supposed to buy the latest version (V15?) to join the project?
Regards,
Ralf

#28 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6643 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

I am still on AM V14. Can I work with this? Or am I supposed to buy the latest version (V15?) to join the project?

The text you quoted shows its a requirement to be current. It briefly discusses the issues.

I'd suggest subscribing for $79.
Then as necessary you can still use v14 on your end... just make sure you drive your resources through the current version before comitting the resource to SO. This will ensure nothing gets missed.

It makes things so easy when everyone is working with the same version.

#29 martin

martin

Grand PoohBah

• Admin
  • 5567 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

Then as necessary you can still use v14 on your end... just make sure you drive your resources through the current version before comitting the resource to

If V14 opens V15 files (chor files specificially but some other files too), it will lose important information.

It makes things so easy when everyone is working with the same version.

Huge amounts of time and energy were wasted on TWO because people insisted on using old versions and messed up our data...
Let's make movies!

#30 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6643 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:15 PM

I understand what you are saying Martin. I was looking from the standpoint of having a resource in v14 and bringing it forward into v15. One way only. We know this one way routing is absolutely necessary with reusable resources but some new users might not. We can look back... but have got to keep moving forward. I can see where it'd be too easy to open a file in an older version and break something. Thats another reason I'm a fan of the websubscription. As long as we are using the current version we're in.

#31 Raffi

Raffi

CG animation fan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:24 AM

... I'd suggest subscribing for $79.

Well ... European retailers charge 105 for this, which is nearly $140! :(
Regards,
Ralf

#32 martin

martin

Grand PoohBah

• Admin
  • 5567 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 04:34 AM

??? It's an Internet download in U.S. $
Let's make movies!

#33 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:13 AM

??? It's an Internet download in U.S. $

You do not have to go through a European retailer. You do not have to pay a VAT. Since the dollar is worth less than the Euro, you only pay about 62 Euros.

#34 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6643 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

I had completely forgot about how much the websubscription can save some international users over the CD purchase. Wow! Just think if you were a new user back in the olden days... What's the vat on $299 again? How much is that? Yikes! Potential purchasers of A:M should take note of that savings. Raffi, Purchase the websubscription. Its well worth it even with the vat but... if you don't have to pay the vat... thats money in your bank. :)

#35 heyvern

heyvern

Native American Mennonite

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 4840 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:30 PM

In regards to volunteering. I would like to help but in a very "limited" and "specific" manor if that is possible. Something that won't burn me out too much. What I would like to offer help with is Physics and Cloth. Specifically with difficult or unusal "FX" areas that might fall within a scene or shot. For instance an example of this from TWO would be the apron stealing scene. After having worked with cloth and physics I think I could have added some technical expertise to that specific part... obviously back then I couldn't offer that but now I could. ;) I remember that there was one single scene in The Incredibles where Mr. Incredible puts his hand through a tear in his uniform. In the special features this was called out as a big gigantic thing to pull off and needed special attention. that's the kind of thing I would like to offer. Instead of working on an entire scene I could do one technical aspect of it after the animation has been finished. Signing up for SVN and "downloading the project" and all that jaz in the first post here, what is involved as far as computer resources/space? Would it take up huge amounts of hard drive space? If I worked on one small aspect of a scene that could involve complex physics and/or cloth would I be required to download the entire scene project? Or could I just work on those specific objects and save out "actions" as I did with my own recent project? I don't have super high speed cable internet. I have modest dsl. It's fast enough for me but huge uploads are a killer. If I can minimize the size of the uploads, limit them to actions or specific models. For example. Physics would not need to be applied to the models for rendering. Just the actions produced by the physics. Same for cloth. It would be best if these things were done "last". Meaning after all modeling and meshes were "final". For instance one trick I learned was to save out "empty" chors that only contained the models and actions needed. For instance I saved out just 4 of the falling panels and struts from one chor of my stage crash that I had to modify. I deleted those models from one chor and replaced them by importing another. The chor was HUGE but the smaller version was tiny. I had trouble with SVN a long time ago with TWO but I could give it another shot. I am concerned about computer resources since I use my PC now for a lot more than AM. I use it for other production work and I can't risk messing up the system too much. Like I said... I'm concerned about taking on too much and not being able to complete it but would very much like to share my experiences with cloth and physics that I learned on my last project. I could even give specific steps and details of the best way to accomplish a task. If there are scenes that could use some cool cloth or physics interaction to make them stand out or at least... not stand out in the wrong way... I would like to give it a shot. Instead of just talking the talk I've decided to in some small way try and put my money where my mouth is. -vern

#36 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

Sorry Vern. I just saw this post.

what is involved as far as computer resources/space?

So far, the SO files take up about 3 Gigabytes, but you should save space for another 1 or 2 Gigabytes as new work is added. Once you download the SO data, Updating (downloading new files) and Committing (uploading your work) are pretty quick, especially since activity has been pretty slow. It is important to Update (download new or modified files) regularly.

If I worked on one small aspect of a scene that could involve complex physics and/or cloth would I be required to download the entire scene project? Or could I just work on those specific objects and save out "actions" as I did with my own recent project?

Downloading the whole shebang will save you loads of time and frustration looking for missing assets. SO projects often have complex linking of models/images/materials/actions/lights etc. In the long run, you save MUCH more time and have MUCH more fun by downloading the full SO data tree on your computer. This is also important from a technical point of view. If you open a project and you are missing some linked files, it is tempting to skip those files - but if there was something in the chor which AM could not find and you just "skipped" it when AM asks you to locate the file, and then you save the chor, it is possible that the thing that didn't get loaded will not be included in your new saved chor. If that happens, we have problems. Once we revert the chor back to a version before you worked on it, there is a good chance your work will not get included.

I don't have super high speed cable internet.

Neither do I. I have 256K dsl and it works fine for me.

If I can minimize the size of the uploads, limit them to actions or specific models.

This is one of the beautiful things about SVN. You only Commit (upload) the files you actually worked on.

#37 heyvern

heyvern

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 4840 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

So far, the SO files take up about 3 Gigabytes, but you should save space for another 1 or 2 Gigabytes as new work is added.

This has to be done in one shot? Or can it be done over days or even weeks? I can't tie up my internet to download 3 gigs during working hours. Could I do this in increments at night in small chunks? I also use my computer to upload big files for clients and would need to stop any other downloads or uploads to do so.

There doesn't seem to be an "FX" category for participation. What category might this type of thing fall into? Animating? What I'm suggesting is if one person, like me, whose only job was to do one single effect that was technically tricky or maybe beyond the scope of expertise for an animator whose time is better spent animating, scenes like that could be pulled up a notch or two and it might not be such a burden. Someone would step in at the point when the rest of the animation was approved and then "fill in" those few seconds of animation that are needed. Maybe an FX category already exists? Like the wonderful water/river scene in TWO. I would assume that there was someone specifically in charge of that effect.

-vern

#38 martin

martin

Grand PoohBah

• Admin
  • 5567 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:43 PM

So far, the SO files take up about 3 Gigabytes, but you should save space for another 1 or 2 Gigabytes as new work is added.

This has to be done in one shot? Or can it be done over days or even weeks?

Yes.

There doesn't seem to be an "FX" category for participation. What category might this type of thing fall into?

If you look in the TWO credits, you'll see "Effects."

What I'm suggesting is if one person, like me, whose only job was to do one single effect that was technically tricky or maybe beyond the scope of expertise for an animator whose time is better spent animating, scenes like that could be pulled up a notch or two and it might not be such a burden. Someone would step in at the point when the rest of the animation was approved and then "fill in" those few seconds of animation that are needed.

Actually, that's what we did for TWO.

Maybe an FX category already exists? Like the wonderful water/river scene in TWO. I would assume that there was someone specifically in charge of that effect.

Mark (mtpeak2) Skodacek stepped in totally on his own (no hints from me), and did that. Mark volunteered (without being asked) 100 X more than anyone. Unfortunately, it burned him out for SO.
Let's make movies!

#39 heyvern

heyvern

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 4840 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:17 PM

Okay, here's my plan. I will sign up and look over what is there and see what I can do to help out in the FX area. The "short" but really tricky spots. I can make a list of areas that might need some fancy FX. If I start now I should have time to review as much of the story line as I can and then in my spare time do "experiments" just like I did with "Change Your Pants" to come up some cool techniques that can be applied more efficiently to the "final" product. Instead of experimenting on the actual projects. I would love to have SO really really showcase some of the cool features of A:M. Obviously we don't want them to "stand out" too much but you know what I mean. I think I'm better at short, intense, small chunks of dedicated work then long term tasks. I may change my mind of course later. ;) Does that sound like a good idea? I don't want to get too burned out. I can't afford to get burned out right now. I have a lot of projects going on and some new animation jobs for clients, plus a possible long term job, but I would hate to see something at the end of SO and think to myself "Holy cow that would have been easy to do this way and look really cool!" The Yoop transformation scene, when she zaps the main characters... I would have LOVED to have gotten my hands on just that one scene. I did some very early "morphing" tests on my own with the Thom model that could have been pushed further. My thought is even if you have to create "special versions" of each model or modify them for a particular scene or even do compositing of renders it's worth it for the final result as long as everything "blends" seamlessly. But you can't expect someone to do that who has 50 bazillion other things to worry about. p.s. There was a HUGE rendering mistake I made in my recent project. I had to cut to a different angle to hide a change in camera angle and position that was suppose to be one continuous shot. Worked like a charm and actually improved the final scene. That's another trick that could be used for FX shots as well... I'm sure you already know this... I'm new to all this I guess. -vern

#40 martin

martin

Grand PoohBah

• Admin
  • 5567 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

I don't want to get too burned out.

A very real concern, and one that I'm sure you can manage if you remain aware of the danger.

I'm new to all this I guess.

Making movies is awesome!
Let's make movies!

#41 heyvern

heyvern

• Hash Fellow (Hon)
  • 4840 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:32 AM

I had a severe case of "creative block" a while back. I am pretty sure I know what caused it. I wasn't doing anything "creative"... not just creative but deadline motivated creative. It's that kind of thing that can really get you going. I had a really boring uncreative job that sucked all the energy out of me. It was icky yucky and not creative at all and I was doing it for weeks non stop. It involved a lot of coding and technical stuff (which I like too). I find when my brain is working on the left side the right side goes to sleep and I have to hit it with a big stick to wake it up. This recent AM project recharged my batteries. The key I think is to try and keep that kind of thing at least "on simmer" as much as possible to keep the creative juices flowing. Like a pilot light. I think my pilot light had gone out. Then the gas built up and I lit a match and exploded. -vern

#42 spacecomics

spacecomics

Just some guy animatin'

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:21 PM

I had a severe case of "creative block" a while back. I am pretty sure I know what caused it. I wasn't doing anything "creative"... not just creative but deadline motivated creative. It's that kind of thing that can really get you going. I had a really boring uncreative job that sucked all the energy out of me. It was icky yucky and not creative at all and I was doing it for weeks non stop. It involved a lot of coding and technical stuff (which I like too). I find when my brain is working on the left side the right side goes to sleep and I have to hit it with a big stick to wake it up.

This recent AM project recharged my batteries. The key I think is to try and keep that kind of thing at least "on simmer" as much as possible to keep the creative juices flowing. Like a pilot light. I think my pilot light had gone out. Then the gas built up and I lit a match and exploded.

-vern

Vern, I was in exactly the same situation a few years ago and an old friend suggested A:M as a creative outlet. So I worked on TWO, and can't wait to see my name in the animation credits. I never seemed to get enough time for it, but nevertheless it's a great way to add balance to your life with a frustrating job.

#43 mouseman

mouseman

pixelstix

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1164 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:18 AM

I had a severe case of "creative block" a while back. ...

Vern, thanks for you insights! I've had similar issues with work burn-out spilling over into personal creative burn-out, and it's helpful to see someone else's perspective.

- Chris
Only obsessed people ever accomplish anything. - M. Ashton
My friends dream of retiring to play WoW full time. I dream of retiring to animate with A:M full time.
Design Dynamics and Hit and Run and Eggs, Potatoes, and Bacon

Browse and add information to the Hash Wiki!

#44 angelo panetta

angelo panetta

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:56 AM

When I delivered my final sound for TWO, Steve and I were discussing the possibility of doing more voice casting, sound and music for SO. I'm available to discuss what you might need in the sound department.
--
Angelo Panetta

"Without limitations, there is no art." -AP
"Life is about doing stuff." -AP
===================================
The Radio Repertory Company of America
"Watch a movie in your mind without taking your eyes off the road"
http://www.rrca.com/
===================================

#45 martin

martin

Grand PoohBah

• Admin
  • 5567 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

When I delivered my final sound for TWO, Steve and I were discussing the possibility of doing more voice casting, sound and music for SO. I'm available to discuss what you might need in the sound department.

Hey, Angelo!

Just last Saturday, Holmes was saying how GREAT your Foley was on TWO and was hoping you were going to work on SO? We have half a movie that is ready for both background MUSIC & FOLEY, if you're up to it? (No money.) Voice acting is already cast.
Let's make movies!

#46 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:05 AM

bump

#47 higginsdj

higginsdj

OSX & Wun Subscriptions

• Film
  • 3699 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

People talk about it and I'm drawn right back in....... Renewed my subscription (just 1 copy this time). Boys it's been almost 2 years away from AM but I still remember how to do stuff :) Cheers David
D a v i d H i g g i n s
Canberra, Australia

#48 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23396 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:13 PM

People talk about it and I'm drawn right back in....... Renewed my subscription (just 1 copy this time). Boys it's been almost 2 years away from AM but I still remember how to do stuff :)

Cheers

David

Welcome back to A:M!

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

Enter the 2017 Summer Memories Image Contest

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#49 higginsdj

higginsdj

OSX & Wun Subscriptions

• Film
  • 3699 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

People talk about it and I'm drawn right back in....... Renewed my subscription (just 1 copy this time). Boys it's been almost 2 years away from AM but I still remember how to do stuff :)

Cheers

David

Welcome back to A:M!

I still prefer the 'other' product (for power and ability) but AM and this forum are like comfort food/family - just a very pleasant place to be in/retreat to - does that make sense? :)

Just waiting to be reclassified and my first assignment :)
D a v i d H i g g i n s
Canberra, Australia

#50 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6643 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 12:17 PM

It's great to see you again David! :)