Hash, Inc. Forums

Squetch Rig downloads

itsjustme

David ... on the posable installation steps (txt)... you wrote -> Run installrig plugin then import FINAL_IMPORT ... now you wrote to import FINAL_IMPORT and run installrig plugin.

Is the order relevant ?

David ... on the posable installation steps (txt)... you wrote -> Run installrig plugin then import FINAL_IMPORT ... now you wrote to import FINAL_IMPORT and run installrig plugin.

Is the order relevant ?

Either way would work fine. For that particular step it isn't critical which order you do it in. Sorry for creating the confusion.

Did someone say vid tutorial

Yes, but I've been trying to put it together over quite a long time...things have changed too much. I don't want to put it together and then have it outdated immediately. It is actually going to be a lot of little tutorials on how to use and set up the rig as well as install it. I have several things that I need to tweak in the rig before it can happen, but it is part of the rotation in my "things to do" list. At the moment, I'm about two months behind where I want to be on my personal project, so I've been concentrating mostly on that lately (although I squeezed in a rig update).

I've got a quick upgrade to the FACE interface that will make it a lot more adaptable and a foot control that I would like to put in (still need to experiment with it and see if it is worth adding...it would be very cool if I can get it workable) and I need to do an experiment with a shoulder setup that I don't think will end up being viable (so I'll just do a quick test first on that).

Once I can get the set modeling finished for my personal project, I'll be doing more rotating of things...which has worked very well this year at getting stuff released (I think it has been six under five minute tutorials and one thirty minute tutorial). Another week or two and I think I'll be at that point, I'm thinking.

I would like to work with you on the vid tutorials. We can do screen sharing and easily work together. With me starting from scratch and installing the body rig and the face rig it will force us while recording to answer all questions and not gloss over things that may trip up someone else. I have a nack for needing everything explained.

I can then edit down the video leaving out dead space. And I can re record the audio with a proper audio track.

We can take it once step further and you can use my video as a template for additional refined videos that may further explore a subject. For example We may have videos 1-10 but video # 6 may have a supplemental 6a video.

I offer my services to anyone that wants to work together on a vid tutorial. With screen sharing and screen capture its a breeze. All we need is your talent and knowledge.

I would like to work with you on the vid tutorials. We can do screen sharing and easily work together. With me starting from scratch and installing the body rig and the face rig it will force us while recording to answer all questions and not gloss over things that may trip up someone else. I have a nack for needing everything explained.

I can then edit down the video leaving out dead space. And I can re record the audio with a proper audio track.

We can take it once step further and you can use my video as a template for additional refined videos that may further explore a subject. For example We may have videos 1-10 but video # 6 may have a supplemental 6a video.

I offer my services to anyone that wants to work together on a vid tutorial. With screen sharing and screen capture its a breeze. All we need is your talent and knowledge.

I know you have the best intentions, Jason, but the way this offer is worded implies that I haven't been able to record a "proper audio track", haven't properly formatted my video tutorials and have glossed over things...at least often enough to point out. If you want to release an improved version of any of my previous tutorials, it won't bother me.

Any tutorial could always be better and I have no problem taking constructive criticism, so if you would like to critique the tutorials before they are released, I can shoot them your way before posting. My schedule is pretty crazy, so it would be very difficult to do the screen sharing Q&A type of thing. I don't have issues with collaborating with anyone, I've done it quite a bit.

I know you have the best intentions, Jason, but the way this offer is worded implies that I haven't been able to record a "proper audio track", haven't properly formatted my video tutorials and have glossed over things...at least often enough to point out. If you want to release an improved version of any of my previous tutorials, it won't bother me.

Any tutorial could always be better and I have no problem taking constructive criticism, so if you would like to critique the tutorials before they are released, I can shoot them your way before posting. My schedule is pretty crazy, so it would be very difficult to do the screen sharing Q&A type of thing. I don't have issues with collaborating with anyone, I've done it quite a bit.

First off :

All your previous tutorials are perfect. I was not speaking about any specific tutorials I have seen. I sam simply implying that this type of stuff is so specific its easy to overlook a small key feature that could stop someone dead in the water. Most people seem to have the feeling that vid tuts are a lot of work and that puts them off. When i was talking about "proper audio track" and stuff like that, it was my intention to try and eleviate any resistance to making the tutorials. I am not good with words, so I am not surprised it was interpreted with a negative effect.

Let me be perfectly clear I have no criticism to give regarding anything you have done. You could not have been pointed further in the wrong direction with my response.

I would love however to be the first to view your tutorials. If I have any trouble completing the tutorials and getting the results intended I would love to collaborate.

it was my intention to try and eleviate any resistance to making the tutorials.

There is no resistance to making the tutorials, I have always intended to do them. As I said, I wanted to wait until the rig got to a point where I wouldn't have to re-do the tutorials immediately...the last set I made lasted less than a month before they became outdated.

You could not have been pointed further in the wrong direction with my response.

I never thought you were doing anything other than trying to help, I was just pointing out how it could have been taken wrong because of the way it was written.

I would love however to be the first to view your tutorials.

In the past, I have sent links to people to see if I can get feedback before posting. Most of those people have been extremely busy lately and I'm not sure if any of them would still be interested. I'll start a new list with your name at the top, Jason.

If anyone else would like to be included on the list to review the tutorials for the Squetch Rig, let me know. It will be a few weeks before I start working on them, but they'll be in my rotation soon. I should have another rig update posted in the next week, then I can get started.

• 4 weeks later...

It took me longer than I would have liked, but I think I've gotten the two updates I've been working on doing what they are supposed to do. Here's a test version of Squetchy Sam and a quick video showing what I added. If anyone finds a problem with the additions, let me know and I'll see if I can correct them. I'll get this stuff added to the installation rigs and then try a shoulder tweak that I'm not sure will end up working...we'll see. ----------------------- EDIT ----------------------- I made a few minor tweaks and fixed a couple of things I found, so I uploaded a new version of Sam here. ------------------------ EDIT ------------------------ This version of Sam has been removed, the next release is in this post.

• *A:M User*

David

This is an awesome update. That was the main problem I had with the face interface was selecting it without the camera and then being able to see my face movement. Love that.

Also the leg setup is great. Love the ability to swith ik and fk and now squetch all at the same time. Great work!!!

Steve

I made a few minor tweaks and fixed a couple of things I found, so I uploaded a new version of Sam in this post. If you downloaded the previous version, get the updated Sam for any testing.

If anyone finds a problem, let me know and I'll fix it as fast as I can. Once I get the installation rigs finished, I'll upload a stop-gap version before I go through the testing of the next possible addition. That addition (if it works out) will be the last for a while, since there will be a feature freeze...if you want something added, you need to mention it soon.

----------------------------

EDIT

A rig update is in the next post.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another rig update that includes the new "toeIK", some installation fixes and tweaks, an increased ability to resize and move around elements of the FACE interface as well as being able to unlock the FACE controls to move them off of the character while using them. Now it's possible to set up the positioning of the FACE interface to another arrangement when unlocked if you edit the "Animation_Controls/FACE Interface/unlock_FACE_interface" Pose.

Included here are an updated version of Squetchy Sam and the standalone FACE rig.

If you do an installation, be sure to read the included text file...there is a minor change on the positioning of the FACE controls (now it's done in the installation Action).

If anyone finds a problem, let me know and I'll correct it as quickly as possible.

Next, I'll do a quick exploration of an auto shoulder...we'll see if it ends up working out.

-----------------------------

EDIT

The installation rig is now updated to correct a problem with the elbow and knee fan bones when the arms and legs are modeled bent.

EDIT

Another quick fix...the size of the knee fan bones were not scaling during installation. It didn't really affect the functioning of the rig, but it bothered me.

EDIT

These files have been deleted, the next release is located here.

After exploring the possibility of installing an auto shoulder, I've decided to not include one. Several reasons, but the biggest one is that the controls would have to be in a location other than the arm...for an auto shoulder to work, a completely separate arm not attached to the shoulder has to be used as a controller. I think that kind of setup would be awkward for animating...purely my opinion, others might disagree.

So, while it could be done, I don't think it would be very intuitive.

Okay, on to the next thing.

• 11 months later...

I decided to move the post:

I've been working on adding some things to the Squetch rig...here are some tests of a couple of things. These are the first tests of possible shoulder, chest and neck changes/additions. I need to do more CP Weighting, but this test makes me think I'm heading in a good direction. There are some tweaks that could possibly make it better...I'll have to do some evaluating though. I started off with a much more complex setup, but got results that seem decent with a simpler approach.

There are some other areas that will get tweaked, but this is where I'm starting. Once I work through all of them, I'll post the updated Sam for evaluation.

09_27_2012_Sam_test_front.mov

09_27_2012_Sam_test_back.mov

09_27_2012_Sam_test_side.mov

combined.mov

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is a standalone FACE rig update...a few minor things have changed and are mentioned in the instructions text.

There are more fixes and updates that will probably happen when the entire rig gets updated...I need to get back to that when my schedule returns to normal.

If anyone finds a problem with the files, let me know and I'll correct it as quickly as possible.

-----------------------

EDIT

-----------------------

This file was deleted, the next release is located here.

• Admin

Thanks David!

Aside: I was all excited because I thought I found an typographical error in your documentation. It turns out your documentation is right. I was just overlooking the "-" in front of the second "100". ;)

Keep on Keeping on!

• 6 months later...

I think I'm at a place where I can post this as a beta...which means I may find some things that need tweaking while I put together the rest of the documentation. I hope to have some videos done soon, barring any complications.

There are a lot of fixes and updates, but the biggest things added are a new installation method and an auto shrug.

Thanks to Mark Skodacek and Sebastian Pfeifer for their help!

If anyone finds a problem, let me know and I'll fix it as soon as I can.

-----------------------------------

EDIT

-----------------------------------

These files were deleted. The next release is here.

• Admin

With apologies to David for messing with Sam...

I only tweaked a few settings but I've officially created my first Mod of the Squetch Sam Rig.

(I'm a little overwhelmed with everything that's going on in the rig... so I had to start somewhere) :P

SquetchySamuel.jpg

While making one of the tutorial videos, I ran across a couple of things to tweak, so I'm posting a quick update. When I finish the videos, I think I will have found most issues.

This update renames one bone and fixes a problem with the "switch_chest_IO" and "switch_stomach_IO" rotating when the chest and stomach were rotated.

-----------------------

EDIT

-----------------------

These files have been deleted. The next release is here.

Here's another update...it fixes the "arms_IKFK_SQUETCH_biceps_and_forearms_individual" and "legs_IKFK_SQUETCH_thighs_and_calves_individual" Poses.

-----------------------

EDIT

-----------------------

These files have been deleted. Next release is here.

Here's another update.

Changes this time:

fixed right_finger_thumb_2_SQUETCH constraints in the right_hand_fingers_SQUETCH Pose

changed right_toes_manual_controller to z_right_toes_manual_controller

changed left_toes_manual_controller to z_left_toes_manual_controller

CFingersOuter_right/left rotate manipulators fixed

fixed the hide_non_tweaking_bones Pose

EDIT

These files were deleted, the next version is in the next post here.

Here's another update.

This one fixes a few things with the on-character switches and cleans up some minor things that bothered me. Also, the switches are in automatically, but hidden by default...it just gets rid of one more installation step. If the animator doesn't want to use them, they can ignore them (or if they really don't like them, they can remove them).

------------------------------------

EDIT

These files have been deleted, next version is in the next post...here.

Found something else that needed fixing. Here's an update the fixes the "sleeves_squetch_like_bicep" Pose.

EDIT

These files were deleted. An update is in the next post.

• 1 month later...

Sebastian found a problem with the left leg installation controls...this should fix the problem. Let me know if any more problems are found. Thanks, Sebastian!

--------------------------------

EDIT (9/2/14)

I added the "Squetch_Rig_Installation.zip" file containing a sort of illustrated version of the installation instructions.

EDIT (9/5/14)

The next version of the rig is located here: http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27815&p=399460

The files in this post have been deleted and the updated versions are there.

wow, its been a long time since I've checked in with the squetch rig progress.... this looks fantastically deep complex and capable.

But my first is question is.... are the average a:m users able to use this? I'd love to see what people are doing with this rig.

wow, its been a long time since I've checked in with the squetch rig progress.... this looks fantastically deep complex and capable.

But my first is question is.... are the average a:m users able to use this? I'd love to see what people are doing with this rig.

The average user could use this (the installation process has been improved quite a bit), but the detailed installation tutorials need to be finished...I'm in the process of getting those done. I'm starting with tutorials on how to animate with the rig, then the installation tutorials (located here).

it´s installation process is as easy as any other rig installation. with any other rig you´ll have to translate and scale bones in place, and there are not more bones to move using the squetch-rig.

there´s also a detailed instruction in form of a text-document coming with it, so everyone should be able to follow the steps.

the weighting process is a little bit more complex, because there are more bones to choose from in the end, but other than that it´s the same.

this rig gives absolute animation freedom and flexibility, everything can be squashed and stretched, almost every thinkable pose can be realized. poses are organized in folders and i think it´s quite well arranged.

i think most people are afraid of it, because the first versions of this rig were very laborious to install with resetting all the compensates and stuff. but david made it just as easy as installing any other rig.

the only downside to it is that it´s a little bit heavy, so loading a squetch-rigged model takes a few seconds more, undo´s in the animation process too... you can´t have it all ;)

i use it all the time, in my opinion it´s the most advanced rig available for a:m.

it´s installation process is as easy as any other rig installation. with any other rig you´ll have to translate and scale bones in place, and there are not more bones to move using the squetch-rig.

there´s also a detailed instruction in form of a text-document coming with it, so everyone should be able to follow the steps.

the weighting process is a little bit more complex, because there are more bones to choose from in the end, but other than that it´s the same.

this rig gives absolute animation freedom and flexibility, everything can be squashed and stretched, almost every thinkable pose can be realized. poses are organized in folders and i think it´s quite well arranged.

i think most people are afraid of it, because the first versions of this rig were very laborious to install with resetting all the compensates and stuff. but david made it just as easy as installing any other rig.

the only downside to it is that it´s a little bit heavy, so loading a squetch-rigged model takes a few seconds more, undo´s in the animation process too... you can´t have it all ;)

i use it all the time, in my opinion it´s the most advanced rig available for a:m.

well that's not exactly the direction I was posing my question. I have given in the benefit of the doubt on the all of the positives you listed as I am aware of David's rigging ability/history. what I do not see are what people are doing with the rig. I do not see much in the way of animation here. so I was curious if people are just not wrapping their heads around what david has made.

I on the other hand stick with tools already at our disposal just from the software side. just a few deformers and your facial expression capabilities are limitless. a stripped down version of the 2001 rig and pose sliders do it for me.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

well that's not exactly the direction I was posing my question. I have given in the benefit of the doubt on the all of the positives you listed as I am aware of David's rigging ability/history. what I do not see are what people are doing with the rig. I do not see much in the way of animation here. so I was curious if people are just not wrapping their heads around what david has made.

I on the other hand stick with tools already at our disposal just from the software side. just a few deformers and your facial expression capabilities are limitless. a stripped down version of the 2001 rig and pose sliders do it for me.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

example

another example

you´re right about the facial expressions, but for me the squetch rig is mainly about the squash and stretch and bow and bend capabilities. i don´t know about other folks here, but i´m in need of those features from time to time...

• 11 months later...

Here is an update to the Squetch Rig.

Fixed a problem with the "jowl_left_translate_INSTALL" position (it was occasional, caused by a circularity...updated the symetrical bone Expressions), fixed a problem with the "right_shoulder_trapezius_base" positioning caused by the scaling of the arm squetch controls in Step 7, added the "Eyelids_left_rotate_INSTALL" to the symetrical portion of the installation and did some general cleanup.

Anyone using the previous installation that has an incorrectly positioned "jowl_left_geom" origin can safely change the origin to mirror the right side in Bones Mode (just type in the XYZ instead of manually moving) and can also reposition an incorrectly positioned "right_shoulder_trapezius_geom" and "right_shoulder_trapezious_base" to match the left side in Bones Mode (also typing in the XYZ instead of manually moving).

Squetchy Sam hasn't changed, he's just renamed to reduce confusion...keeping the dates of the files the same.

If anyone finds a problem, let me know and I'll fix it as fast as I can.

-------------------------------------------------------

EDIT

-------------------------------------------------------

These files have been deleted. The next update is at: https://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27815&p=404713

• 4 months later...

David

I was looking for the quad rig for like a dog and I could not find it. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Steve

Hmm, the only version I see posted is the final v12 Quad.

Currently, the Squetch Quad Rig is severely lagging behind the biped rig. I need to spend about a month updating it when I can get some time.

The TSM2 rig would probably be a more efficient solution at this time, but here's the version I found on one of my drives.

13s_Posable_Quad_Squetch_Rig_installations_09_03_2009a.zip

• 5 months later...

I fixed a problem with the trapezius bones not moving with the shoulders and cleared up a circularity in the auto-shrug.

If anyone finds a problem, let me know and I'll fix it as quickly as I can.

EDIT

These files have been deleted. The next version is in the next post.

It never fails, after I've posted an update I find something else to fix. This should clear up any auto-shoulder issues...unless I missed something else. Sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If anyone finds a problem, let me know and I'll fix it as fast as I can.

-----------------------------------------

EDIT

-----------------------------------------

This installations were deleted...the next release is located here: https://www.hash.com...=27815&p=412401

• 10 months later...

Here is a quick update for the Squetch Rig. I'm still working on adding a few things, but I decided I would post this so that anyone following along with the Clone CP Weights tutorial ( https://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47723 ) tutorial would have some of the fixes in the installation rig used in the tutorial.

-------------------------------------

EDIT

-------------------------------------

This installation was deleted...the next release is located here: https://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27815&p=412401

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on a new model and an updated Squetch rig is greeeaaattt... I'll try it this week. Thank you in advance Simmons. A quick question: Did you add the ability to change IK from heel to toe and vice versa ??

And I suggest you to fix your signature to aim your last post ( with the latest Squetch update )

I'm working on a new model and an updated Squetch rig is greeeaaattt... I'll try it this week. Thank you in advance Simmons. A quick question: Did you add the ability to change IK from heel to toe and vice versa ??

And I suggest you to fix your signature to aim your last post ( with the latest Squetch update )

ToeIK has been in there for quite a while (it is the "2" setting on "right/left_leg_FK_IK_toeIK" Poses). The link to the latest Squetch Rig in my signature should point to the latest version...that's where it goes when I test it.

If you run into any installation problems, let me know .

The link to the latest Squetch Rig in my signature should point to the latest version...that's where it goes when I test it.

yes it does go to the latest - I think Marcos is suggesting that the date is incorrect - your signature says Squetch Rig was last updated 5/20/2015

The link to the latest Squetch Rig in my signature should point to the latest version...that's where it goes when I test it.

yes it does go to the latest - I think Marcos is suggesting that the date is incorrect - your signature says Squetch Rig was last updated 5/20/2015

Ooops, sorry about that. I corrected the date. Thanks, Nancy and Marcos!

• 9 months later...

Here is another update for the Squetch Rig. It just has some minor tweaks that correct a few things that I found while rigging a chimp. I still need to post an updated Squetchy Sam, but I decided I needed to post these.

---------------------------------------

EDIT

---------------------------------------

These files have been deleted. The next version is located here: https://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27815&p=413646