Photo

"It's Off, It's Gone"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
190 replies to this topic

#151 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23579 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:09 PM

Here's some animation for Eric2575. We need some cycles for the crowd of Winkies at the parade and the waving stuff will probably get used also in the very last shot of the sequence.

Use the Winkie Generic Adult model for these.

2_01_80_crowd_idlesMP4.mov

thanks!

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CST

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#152 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4632 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 02:17 PM

Robert, I've been buried in TWO cloth simulations and probably will be up until the 12/15 deadline. I thought I could do both, but the cloth sims are taking a lot of time. I don't think I'm going to have time to work anymore on the "We're Off We're Gone" song.

#153 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23579 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 10:36 PM

I don't think I'm going to have time to work anymore on the "We're Off We're Gone" song.

Thank you for your efforts.

Robert Holmén
------

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#154 Jeetman

Jeetman

Prolific

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 10:37 AM

Robert, I've been buried in TWO cloth simulations and probably will be up until the 12/15 deadline. I thought I could do both, but the cloth sims are taking a lot of time. I don't think I'm going to have time to work anymore on the "We're Off We're Gone" song.

That's really ashame. You are an EXCELLENT animator. I'm still in awe over your half of the hallway shot of 2_01_57/58 with Scarecrow. I hope someday to be able to animate that good.

George
Boards don't hit back!
Bruce Lee (Enter the Dragon)

#155 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:18 PM

Thanks George.

#156 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:13 PM

Hey guys and gal... The end is in sight, I think there's only 9 shots still to assign. There are quite a few shots with small details we've tabled until later that we'll need to return to. I know the Holiday season is not a highly productive time but I think we can be done by the end of January. Thanks for all your attention and good work!

Robert Holmén
------

#157 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:19 PM

Hey, Rodney is joining us!

Here's something I've been meaning to do myself, but maybe you could take a whack at it for me, Rodney?

2_01_53pathpitchMP4.mov

btw, when i talk of "paths" it's really one path, but the ease% is keyed to make him jump around it.

Robert Holmén
------

#158 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • 6736 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:36 PM

Thanks Robert. This is already a pretty sweet scene already. I think I see your intention and will give my best shot at it. Edit: Its going to take a little while to transfer files to this computer but I should be able to start on this sequence soon.
A good idea is a seed, not a solution
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#159 higginsdj

higginsdj

OSX & Wun Subscriptions

• Film
  • 3699 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 05:37 PM

Hi Robert, I'm between assignments at the moment so if you need a hand on anything please let me know. Cheers
D a v i d H i g g i n s
Canberra, Australia

#160 PF_Mark

PF_Mark

TWO Animator

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1820 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:23 PM

I am down to two scenes now and I think # 68 is getting close to being done so can I have another shot or some touch up assignments?
Mark Allan

#161 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

Here's a cleanup task for Mark Right now the concertina sound doesn't last long enough for the Servant to get offscreen in Sc51 or to get onscreen in Sc52 "WereOffAccordianIntro_Long.wav" holds the chord much longer. It is committted to Sc52/audio use enough of the beginning to fix Sc51. Use enough of the end to fix Sc52

Robert Holmén
------

#162 PF_Mark

PF_Mark

TWO Animator

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1820 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:35 PM

Here's a cleanup task for Mark

Right now the concertina sound doesn't last long enough for the Servant to get offscreen in Sc51 or to get onscreen in Sc52

"WereOffAccordianIntro_Long.wav" holds the chord much longer. It is committted to Sc52/audio

use enough of the beginning to fix Sc51. Use enough of the end to fix Sc52

So what I am to do after I sub this sound file is adjust the lenths of Sc51 so when joined with Sc52 it feels right. So I made 51 as long as it can be and I will add more to the beginning of Sc52 and with my video editor join these together with different timing to experiment and edit these two scene together then use the frame burn to detrimine when to end and start of these two scenes should be?
Mark Allan

#163 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:43 PM

They shouldn't need much change. What do they look like now as is?

Robert Holmén
------

#164 PF_Mark

PF_Mark

TWO Animator

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1820 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

Ok I will post that but I am wondering when are you thinking of ending the sound in Sc52? can you give me a frame # to start off at I just tried this but advance the time line to 2.02 then hit play right now I started this at 0.00. When I start it at frame 2.02 I think the sound is lasting too long ?

Attached Files

Mark Allan

#165 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:29 PM

Sc52 still starts right before Tinservant enters the frame. It isn't extended any earlier earlier. looks like 02:02 to me. If the sound is too monotonous we can monkey with it but first put it in and lets try the two shots together.

Robert Holmén
------

#166 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:17 PM

Cleanup task... Is anyone on board here a 2D/page layout type person? We're going to need a "newspaper" to hold the still "photos" in 2_01_66. Don't start without me.

Robert Holmén
------

#167 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:29 PM

Another cleanup task... this needs a 2D-ish person who can read music to make the decal that goes on the cue cards in shots 74-79.

this is what's going on the cards but dont' start without me.
DSCN0550music.JPG

Robert Holmén
------

#168 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 04:15 PM

Here's yet another dirty job that needs to get done... for David Higgins!

See pitch at end of 2_01_65 thread

http://www.hash.com/...m...st&p=256930

thanks!

Robert Holmén
------

#169 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:31 PM

After this post I will be away until at least the day after Christmas.

Thank you all for your fine work over the past nine months.
Merry Christmas to all and to all a fine night.

Here is a shot for either Stephen or Dhar depending on who is more eager to spend their holiday working on TWO. Now don't you boys get into fisticuffs over this.

2_01_78PitchMP4.mov

I've committed an audio file into the Sc78 folder. You can steal the layout from Sc2_01_76. The Tinman's "Z" pose can probably be copied from 2_01_77. I recommend watching the rendered movies for 2_01_74 thru 2_01_77 to get a sense of what has gone on immediately before.

For a first pass, just do the main poses and breakdowns I outlined in the pitch video and that would be a fine start.

Robert Holmén
------

#170 Dhar

Dhar

Animation Fundamentalist

• A:M User
  • 3569 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:26 AM

I'll take a shot at it :)
http://www.youtube.com/DharrJJ

Dhar's blog

"Technology doesn't make the motion picture, people do. You're not an animator just because you can move an object from point A to point B. (You're) someone who breathes life into a character, which is something the software and technology can't give you."

- John Lasseter

#171 Dhar

Dhar

Animation Fundamentalist

• A:M User
  • 3569 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:52 PM

Here's the setup shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2_01_78_setup.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/DharrJJ

Dhar's blog

"Technology doesn't make the motion picture, people do. You're not an animator just because you can move an object from point A to point B. (You're) someone who breathes life into a character, which is something the software and technology can't give you."

- John Lasseter

#172 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 08:54 PM

As I assess the situation, here are the items left to do...

53 Rodney is fixing the paths on this shot.

65, 66, 68 - we just need to do the "newspaper" treatment of the still frames in these shots. Higginsdj and Brainlock are on this

71 Woot singing "I'm off to see" (the first time)- this hooks directly into Dhar's shot 72 so he'll probably get this one

74 Ken is finishing this one

80 parade camera work. Ken is on this.

81 Tinman verse. need to animate. smwolke is on this shot

82, crowd singing" You're off, you're gone" Spacecomics is on this

83 it's time for you to go". reaction shot TBA

85 Winkies and the eggtimer. Ullis is almost done with this one.

85b another crowd shot "You're off!". we may reuse 82 for this

86 TM, SC and Woot react. TBA

90 PFMark is finishing this

91 TM, SC and Woot walk off into sunrise. PF Mark Will get this.

-Higginsdj is working on the set for the parade shots

-I believe there is some concertina playing that need to be revisited.

-The Generic Winkie needs to have his palette adjusted to a less flourescent color scheme

-most of the shots from 69 onward will need some background Winkies posed and placed. I'm thinking it may be best to have one person do all of them, for consistency, rather than have each animator do the winkies in his/her own shots.

except for 81, which is a long long shot, most of the above are rather light tasks, so we're pretty close to being done.

Anyone think of anything I've forgotten?

Robert Holmén
------

#173 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 06:39 PM

This one is for Roger. This will be a bit like the previous one you did.

2_01_82PitchMP4.mov

DSCN0130_WinkieCrowdClose.jpg

The chor shows the approximate camera angle, but do the animation in an "action" as we will need to drop it on a number of winkies.

Block out essential poses and lets see what that looks like.

Thanks!

Robert Holmén
------

#174 PF_Mark

PF_Mark

TWO Animator

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1820 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

Ok Robert after we Talked on skype this is my first take on a joined ver of 51 and 52 to see how this sound blends in.

Attached Files

Mark Allan

#175 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

Ok Robert after we Talked on skype this is my first take on a joined ver of 51 and 52 to see how this sound blends in.

that's the idea. Now that I've seen them together I'll probably cut them right to the edge like this:

Attached File  Sc5152joinedX.mov   1.44MB   33 downloads

You dont' need to change anything in the scenes, I just dropped the dead frames at the end of 51.

Robert Holmén
------

#176 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • 6736 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:09 PM

53 Rodney is fixing the paths on this shot.

I need to get with the gameplan and get that updated. :blink:

Both my laptop and desktop are so full of files I can't do anything without windows reminding me that my harddrives running low on available spacel.
Today I've been resurrecting another computer and trying to burn files to backup DVD to free up some room.
Being a packrat has very distinct disadvantages when it comes to having free space on your computer.
A good idea is a seed, not a solution
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#177 PF_Mark

PF_Mark

TWO Animator

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1820 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

that's the idea. Now that I've seen them together I'll probably cut them right to the edge like this:

Attached File  Sc5152joinedX.mov   1.44MB   33 downloads

You dont' need to change anything in the scenes, I just dropped the dead frames at the end of 51.

So if I understand this correctly this task is done?
Mark Allan

#178 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:53 PM

So if I understand this correctly this task is done?

Yes.

(Of course you're about hit the concertina playing in 52. ;) )

Robert Holmén
------

#179 PF_Mark

PF_Mark

TWO Animator

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1820 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:05 PM

I am working on Sc90 at the moment but I plan on submitting takes on both of these 90& 52 early next week. If you can have a pitch for that scene we talked about for early next week I can work on that while I wait for your comments. Next week I am going to be power animating tell we get this DONE :D
Mark Allan

#180 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

Here's some info on animating walks for Roger, Stephen and Mark who are either working on walks now or will be soon.

This is Part 1, more to follow...

GenericWalks-BlockingMP4.mov

edit: a little more on posing those contact frames.

GenericWalks2-MP4.mov

And now starting to do the breakdowns...
GenericWalk-Breakdown1_MP4.mov

and here is the reference footage I use in the vid in an easy-to-scrub codec

walkJPG.mov

Robert Holmén
------

#181 spacecomics

spacecomics

Just some guy animatin'

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:37 PM

Here's some info on animating walks for Roger, Stephen and Mark who are either working on walks now or will be soon.

Thanks, Robert. I'm starting the blocking on 2_01_82 now, so I'll watch these first (and review some of the previous videos & tutorials), and try to post something by the end of the weekend.

#182 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

I've added another segment of the walk vids in the original post

stuff I should have mentioned the first time but forgot.

Robert Holmén
------

#183 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:23 AM

Here's Dhar's last shot!... 2_01_71Pitch

As the pitch notes, this leads right into the Sc72 you did already. I was going to set up a chor in folder 71 but the chor in Sc72 I wanted to copy doesn't look like the version we finished with. So...

-find your last version of Sc72 and commit it to the SVN.
-copy it to the Sc71 folder
-rename the camera in the chor, and correct the save path in the camera properties to 2_01_71/movies, and save the new chor as 2_01_71
-Don't delete any of your Sc72 animation; slide it out 4 seconds so it's starting at 08:04, to make room for what you are about to add for Sc71 (when you are done the animation for Sc71 and Sc72 will really be all in Sc71)
-Remember to slide the sound out 4 seconds also.

-There is a audio file in Sc71 that has all of the audio for Sc72 in addition to the audio for Sc71. Drop it into your new Sc71 chor and slide it around until it is in synch with the old sound file, then "mute" (found in properties) the old sound file.

-First pass: Woot's contact poses leading into his pose for Sc72.

-Questions? Ask me!

Robert Holmén
------

#184 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 12:29 PM

Here's Mark's last shot... 2_01_91PitchMP4.mov

Use the end of your Sc90 as the layout, but with the camera somewhat farther back and somewhat higher.

For the first pass block out the contact poses of SC and TM doing the wave and turn (2 steps).

Later on we'll take the end of that motion as the basis for the walk cycle that will carry them off.

Robert Holmén
------

#185 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

I've added the first part of the breakdowns vid in post 180

This isn't intended as specific crit on anyone's pending shot right now; I'll get to those too, but my head hurts after screencamming all day.

Robert Holmén
------

#186 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:29 PM

Here's one I forgot, for Mark

http://www.hash.com/...86bPitchMP4.mov

There is a folder up for 86b but I haven't created a chor. The camera angle will be the same as 91 so you can reuse that layout.

Robert Holmén
------

#187 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

Hey guys, I know I'm behind on the crits. I'm trying to figure out why my screencam isn't recording sound.

(yes my mic is plugged in. I can record audio in other apps, but hypercam isn't listening.)

in the meantime here's two things that turned up on CartoonBrew...

Art Babbit doc

and

The Pearce Sisters has finally showed up online.

Robert Holmén
------

#188 spacecomics

spacecomics

Just some guy animatin'

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 01:33 PM

Hey guys, I know I'm behind on the crits. I'm trying to figure out why my screencam isn't recording sound.

Actually, I think I can improve my scene a lot based on your previous crits - it just take me several repetitions of studying the reference videos for it to sink in. I'll try to go over it all once more this week. Thanks.

#189 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:16 PM

Actually, I think I can improve my scene a lot based on your previous crits - it just take me several repetitions of studying the reference videos for it to sink in. I'll try to go over it all once more this week. Thanks.

I got it working again, and I've started on your shot already, so hold off until I get that posted...

Robert Holmén
------

#190 PF_Mark

PF_Mark

TWO Animator

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1820 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 12:41 PM

Hi Robert I am working Days for the next two weeks and I home now Animating for TWO maybe you can keep skype on? we could do some real time critques on some takes, might be faster than compressing the video ones? I am reblocking 86b right now and I have stuff to work on after that but I do have some things that I would like to know before I carry on with those.
Mark Allan

#191 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23579 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

I want to apologize to everyone involved in "We're Off, We're Gone"

The final version of TWO was edited last week so the window has closed on including the full "We're Off, We're Gone"sequence in it.

I'm sorry I didn't get it pulled together but there were too many loose ends for my enthusiasm which really ran out about two years ago, and I recognize that even if "We're Off, We're Gone" were finished to perfection it would not change the prospects of TWO.

I want to thank everyone who worked on shots for this sequence and I thank you for indulging my little dream here. I understand some of your shots do appear in a short version of the song but not all of them and I apologize for wasting your efforts.

It's possible I may piece the sequence together sometime in the future, and if I do I will let you know.

Many thanks to PF Mark, Dhar, Homeslice, Jeetman, spacecomics, smwolke, Kuep, Ullis, KenH, and higginsdj and I apologize if i forgot anyone. I learned a lot examining your shots and I apologize for hurting feelings with my critiques.

And apologies to Martin also for not my getting the sequence done and all the unpleasantness involved.

Well, tomorrow is a bright new day. We get a bright, brand spanking new President tomorrow, and for me... it will be the first day since 1994 that I have not had obligations to some project.

"Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, I'm free at last!"

Robert Holmén
------