Hash, Inc. Forums

YOU CAN SEND YOUR 'PTB2009' ENTRIES HERE

John Bigboote

Here is an address to email your submissions for 'Pass The Ball 2009' project:

Please compress the files into Quicktime format and try to get the file size below 10 mb... if this is a problem, let us know in this forum and we'll advise.

mcampbell@gwstudio.com PLEASE PUT 'PASS THE BALL 2009' into the subject line.

Again, here are the details (pasted) THANKS! Can't wait to see what you create...HAVE FUN!- Matt Campbell -aka 'John Bigboote'

WHAT IS IT?

The 'Pass the Ball' was not a competition, it was a short movie made by the Hash forum in 2006. The criteria was simple... have a ball, or similar object- enter from frame LEFT, have your character(s) interact with it for a few seconds, and have it exit frame RIGHT. Will Sutton then cut the entries together with some music and came-up with this:

PASS THE BALL

http://www.hash.com/amfilms/search/entry.php?entry=1080

I have volunteered to collect and compile the clips (Unless someone else really wants to.). We have a musician who has volunteered music... at this point we are having a healthy/positive conversation about the simple rules... those being:

THE RULES:

-participants will make a unique cartoon/movie with the ball entering screen-left(your left) interacting in the screen (whatever you want) and exiting screen right.

-participants can enter as many as they want.

-movie parameters: 864W X 486H @ 30 frames-per-second (3 second minimum/9 maximum)... we will place this on Youtube HD. The final copy will also be made available at D1 letterboxed resolution for those wishing to burn a DVD.

- A 'ball' will be made available as a common file. However, those wishing to use their OWN model as the 'ball' can do so.

-Movie files will be sent via electronic delivery by JUNE 1, 2009. ( to a yet undetermined address)

If these rules sound 'jiggy' with everyone...away we go!

BALL!

I forgot that I had volunteered this model... anyone that wants to use it may certainly feel free to do so... OR download it just to 'have' it...you never know when you might need a stylized baseball...

NOTE: There is a pose you need to turn 'ON' to get the stitches onto the ball.

HashBaseball2V13.zip

BALL!

I forgot that I had volunteered this model... anyone that wants to use it may certainly feel free to do so... OR download it just to 'have' it...you never know when you might need a stylized baseball...

NOTE: There is a pose you need to turn 'ON' to get the stitches onto the ball.

Hi John.

I downloaded your ball, even though mine is turned.iin

I just wanted to tell you how cool I think your base ball is a great ball.

Thanks Katt!

I remember when I set-out to make a baseball, I thought- 'this should take 5 minutes'... THEN I discovered that a baseball, though a rudimentary prop, is actually a logistical NIGHTMARE to model in 3D...if I were to ever teach a 3D class I would have students try it as an exercise, to open their eyes. I have another model as well, that is more of a 'real' ball--- and I made it in a completely different manner...

864W X 486H @ 30 frames-per-second

uh, bluh, duh....(there's always one in the crowd)...I just noticed the 30 fps...How about 24 fps? less frames to render, smaller file sizes - I've already rendered... :(

(I guess I could re-time the frames in AE if necessary, rather than re-render)

864W X 486H @ 30 frames-per-second

uh, bluh, duh....(there's always one in the crowd)...I just noticed the 30 fps...How about 24 fps? less frames to render, smaller file sizes - I've already rendered... :(

(I guess I could re-time the frames in AE if necessary, rather than re-render)

Not a prollum! I'll add '3:2 pulldown' to it...and it will be just fine! What is 3:2 pulldown you ask? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3:2_pulldown#3:2_pulldown

Thanks Katt!

I remember when I set-out to make a baseball, I thought- 'this should take 5 minutes'... THEN I discovered that a baseball, though a rudimentary prop, is actually a logistical NIGHTMARE to model in 3D...if I were to ever teach a 3D class I would have students try it as an exercise, to open their eyes. I have another model as well, that is more of a 'real' ball--- and I made it in a completely different manner...

I would like to see the other ball some time , there kinda like a puzzle, to figure out . :P

thanks John

If its already rendered why does the number of frames per second matter?

Because I will be editing all the entries into 1 linear movie...which will be set at 30 fps (frames per second) if I throw a 24 fps into the mix without the 3:2 pulldown on it--- it will appear to play fast... which may not be acceptable to Nancy. I am sure there will be other 'non-conformists' in the mix- but I MAKE things work by hook or crook.

• 1 month later...

John,

I just wanted to verify that you received my email with my pinBall movie. I didn't receive a confirmation and sense my email has been a bit wonky of late I want to make sure you did receive it.

WOW! I have a full inbox today! This is GREAT! I am trying to send a reply to each as I download them. I did get yours, Fae...I'm reply-ing right now with a question regarding your 'credit'.

The deadline was June 1... SOOO, anyone who still hasn't sent...has until the end of the day today, June 1st.

All the entries I've seen so far look amazing. I wish I could have gotten in on this... just don't have the chops yet.

Maybe next year.

Great job everyone. Can't wait to see the finished product.