Hash, Inc. Forums

Duplicating Mesh With Cookie-Cut Image

fae_alba

I've been trying to come up with an elegant way to model a quasi realistic palm tree. I have a model done that so far only has the trunk and one palm frond modeled. The frond itself is a simple mesh, with an image applied as a cookie cut. I have the trunk and one frond as a single model. The frond has a rig to allow me to position it in a chor as I need depending on the scene. The intention was to then to save off the frond/rig separately, then re-import and position each frond as I need to make a fully leafed out palm tree.

The issue I'm bumping up against is that when I import the frond model, then translate it to the position I need it to, the rig doesn't translate with it. I'm not looking forward to having to translate the rig in the bone view as well, since after a number of times that's going to get dicey to keep straight. What strategy could I employ that would streamline/improve this process?

frond1.avi

frond1.avi

frond3.png

good lookin' palm!

If you go into Bones mode and hold down the CTRL key while you Translate or Rotate a bone, the mesh assigned to the bone(s) will move with it.

Now see, the simplest of tips makes life a lot easier. Thanks!

Experimenting now with assembling the tree in an action. Seems like this might be the way to go. I'm still not entirely happy with how the crown of the tree is looking. It needs more detail that I'm going to have to model in I think.

palm_action0.png

I'm going to guess that the cross section across the spine of the "leaf" would have more curvature.

Yup. I added bones to the frond mesh to do just that, just didn't adjust them any. Added some more fronds, then drooped them for hopefully a more natural look.

palm_action0.png