- - - - -

How to add to AMA documentation?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23904 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:54 AM

Most of the things I do RMB>Display help for current property on just have "Not documented yet" appear. How do we fix that?

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#2 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6928 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

Unless something has changed...

The AMA Documentation is stored in your installation folder in a text file named AMAindex.txt
(Example: C:\ProgramFiles\Hash Inc\v17.0g\AMAindex.txt)

This file can be updated and those updates shared with the community.
Understand that the A:M installer will likely replace this file upon re-installation so if you personalize the AMA documention make sure you keep a backup.

Edit: I've added the text file in the attached.

You can quickly add new AMA documentation simply by editing the text inside A:M or via the text file itself.
The entries adhere to the following XML formatting:

<ama_entry>
   <index_name>
	  Chor|File Info
   </index_name>
   <property_name>
	  File Info
   </property_name>
   <auto_doc>
	  See File Info property.<br><i>Visible: Cache Only</i><br>
   </auto_doc>
   <data_link>
	  NOLINK
   </data_link>
</ama_entry>

Note that Steffen maintains the master AMA document that gets published with each new update of the software.
To be effectively distributed any update must be synchronized with that master document.

Attached Files

"Animation is 90 percent hard work.  The other half is entirely mental!"
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#3 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23904 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:15 PM

To be effectively distributed any update must be synchronized with that master document.

That's the problem. There is no way synchronize these. We don't have any process for doing that.

Robert Holmén
------

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#4 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6928 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:33 PM

That's the problem. There is no way synchronize these. We don't have any process for doing that.

There was a brief discussion on this in the early v17 Alpha phase.
If I recall correctly my suggestion was to dedicate a place on the forum where a file would be hosted that would periodically be updated and made available for download. I believe Fuchur created a temporary webpage that would allow uploading of locally edited AMAindex files but anyway we cut it there is some manual effort involved in the process of sorting and sychronizing.

Background
There is a problem with this however in that the actual source of the core AMA data is in Animation:Master itself.
It consists of the documentation the programmers placed with the code. For the initial AMAindex.txt file Steffen tapped into that data.
As Steffen no longer has access to the program used for documentation the code base documentation itself is likely static and will not be updated in the near term.

This takes us back to creating a shared location where folks can share their local documentation in order to build a secondary master AMAindex.txt file.
This file would then be downloaded and either replace or be appended to the AMAindex file installed in current release folder.
Someone like me would then append all of the files together to create an updated AMAindex file.

In the end this largely gets back to that old bugbear problem of documentation.
Everyone wants documentation but few have the time or inclination to support the effort required in documentation.

Without another workable approach offered I can only suggest using the forum as an option.
If a master AMAindex file is maintained in the forum folks could upload their own files to add to the documentation.

The longer term solution is likely along the lines of a SVN repository maintaining all of the communities common resources (AMA documentation, tutorials, projects, models, etc.).

#5 Simon Edmondson

Simon Edmondson

Filmmaker

• *A:M User*
  • 2482 posts
  • East Anglia UK
  • Macintosh

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:26 AM

Most of the things I do RMB>Display help for current property on just have "Not documented yet" appear.

How do we fix that?

Robert
Although working on a Mac, I use a PC mouse, simply because I prefer the RMB option. I miss the help option, it would be very helpful if it was there ( understatement ). Is there any news do you know on when it might be available for the Mac?
regards
simon
"Making Mistakes is the key to making progress"
Daniel C Dennett philosopher

#6 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23904 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:25 AM

Is there not a "Display help for Property" in the menu when you right-click on a property?

Robert Holmén
------

#7 Simon Edmondson

Simon Edmondson

Filmmaker

• 2482 posts
  • East Anglia UK
  • Macintosh

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:17 AM

Is there not a "Display help for Property" in the menu when you right-click on a property?

Robert
Thank you for your reply.
I tried, may be clicking on the wrong thing (?) but, there doesn't appear to be that option available.
Tried clicking in the model window and in the PWS but to no avail. I remember Help being available in the windows versions ( F13 ? ) but have never managed to find it in the OSX versions, possibly not ask as many questions if I had !
regards
simon

#8 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6928 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:29 AM

Simon, This is not the standard help (F13) but rather a Properties help that when you RMB on a Drop Down Menu's Property there is an option to display (and edit) the documentation (if any) for that Property. A link to another location (local or internet) can also be added to the Help dialog. See attached for an example of what the menu looks like on a PC (when Right Clicking on Render Options under a Camera in the Project Workspace):

Attached Thumbnails

• PropertiesDocumentation.jpg

#9 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6928 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:35 AM

Here's what it should look like after clicking the Edit button to edit the help documentation: (Note: This time I right clicked on the Quality setting under Render Options and the Help Properties (aka AMA documentation) displays what each of the Quality Settings are and provides information related to those options. Each user can personalize this help documentation... but note that Robert is currently interested in how we can share our personalized documentation with each other)

Attached Thumbnails

• AMAnswers_edit.jpg

#10 Simon Edmondson

Simon Edmondson

Filmmaker

• 2482 posts
  • East Anglia UK
  • Macintosh

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

Here's what it should look like after clicking the Edit button to edit the help documentation:
(Note: This time I right clicked on the Quality setting under Render Options and the Help Properties (aka AMA documentation) displays what each of the Quality Settings are and provides information related to those options. Each user can personalize this help documentation... but note that Robert is currently interested in how we can share our personalized documentation with each other)

Rodney
Thank you very much for your replies. I was unaware of that option and will be keen to explore it in the coming work.
Nb
I tried to RMB the properties in the render option on the menu bar ( render to file ) a couple of times and it crashed the program.
I looked more closely at your illustrations and it worked without fault when I tried it in the properties panel.
regards
simon

#11 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6928 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:12 AM

it worked without fault when I tried it in the properties panel.

Outstanding. :)

I tried to the properties in the render option on the menu bar ( render to file ) a couple of times and it crashed the program.

If it's something that happens consistently every time you do it then report it to A:M Reports.
You just never know when you might help squash a bug that is causing everyone on a Mac problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users