DJBREIT

Craftsman

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Daniel J Breitweiser
  • Windows

Posted 01 December 2010 - 08:07 PM

I have a little bit more work on it and see if I can lower the patch cont. :) GG1.jpg

#2 robcat2075

robcat2075

persistent smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24045 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • current
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

53000 patches. ouch!

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#3 TheSpleen

TheSpleen

Animation:Master

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3849 posts
  • GENE
  • Houston, Texas
  • Windows

Posted 01 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

Nice work!
"To be honest....I animate and design to make myself laugh. And if I accomplish that then I have succeeded!
And in turn others as well will laugh too."

#4 rodger_r

rodger_r

Non-character modeling since 1993

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Rodger Reynolds
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • Windows

Posted 03 December 2010 - 03:08 PM

I'm curious if it's all one model or you've assembled it in an action. If it is all one model, how long does it take to find patches and align normals?

#5 DJBREIT

DJBREIT

Craftsman

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Daniel J Breitweiser
  • Windows

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:01 AM

53000 patches. ouch!

You and me both!

I'm curious if it's all one model or you've assembled it in an action. If it is all one model, how long does it take to find patches and align normals?

You had to remind me about the normals. :o

For the last few days I have been getting rid of splines and fixing normals. I am hoping to cut down the patch cont to a point where I can keep it as a model. With out losing the detail. But I may have to go to an action and break it up into three parts.

Here is some detail shots of the trucks.

gg1_frame_1.jpg
gg1_frame_2.jpg
gg1_frame_3.jpg
gg1_frame_4.jpg

#6 rodger_r

rodger_r

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Rodger Reynolds
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • Windows

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

Fantastic model! But I really would like to know what your "finding patches, aligning normals" times are. I'm planning on upgrading my computer and I'd like to calibrate my expectations for wait times. Currently 49,392 patches takes somewhere between 45 and 60 minutes on my 10 yr. old, 1.5Ghz Athlon.

#7 DJBREIT

DJBREIT

Craftsman

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Daniel J Breitweiser
  • Windows

Posted 04 December 2010 - 05:29 PM

"finding patches, aligning normals" ? Not sure exactly how to test this. Can you walk me throw it? :huh: Also do you happen to have a detail diagram or know where I mite find one of the GG1 since most of the diagrams and photos I have found on the net lack in detail. And some of the details I have done, I am guessing at.

#8 rodger_r

rodger_r

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Rodger Reynolds
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • Windows

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

"finding patches, aligning normals" ? Not sure exactly how to test this.

When you add or subtract a patch in a model, A:M pauses to do this before it can save the model file or screen render it in shaded mode. During this pause, the messages "Finding Patches [file name]" and "Aligning Normals [file name]" appear in succession on the left side of the status bar (see attached screen grab). When you remove some patches from the GG1 and hit save, how long is this pause?

Also do you happen to have a detail diagram or know where I might find one of the GG1...

Sorry no. The only reference images I have for electric locomotives come from a book published in 1922, 12 years before they started building the GG1. All I can offer are low res dimensioned drawings of what looks like a precursor loco, a quill motor assembly and a pantagraph (see attached). It's unlikely that these last two changed much in 12 years.

And some of the details I have done, I am guessing at

And as far as I'm concerned, there's nothing wrong with that as long as your not working for a customer who demands museum quality. If your satisfied with the look of your design guesses, that's all that matters. 99.9% of the potential audience for movies starring your GG1 wouldn't recognize an accurate quill motor if all 16,700 lbs. (7590 kg.) of it was dropped on their foot.

I'm not sure of your plans for the GG1 but if you want some passenger cars for it to pull, I can offer a combination car which, with a bit of cut and pasting, can be converted to a full Pullman car.

Attached Thumbnails

• fpan.jpg
  • pantagraph.jpg
  • quill_motor.jpg
  • electric_loco.jpg

#9 DJBREIT

DJBREIT

Craftsman

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Daniel J Breitweiser
  • Windows

Posted 05 December 2010 - 08:44 PM

Fantastic model! But I really would like to know what your "finding patches, aligning normals" times are. I'm planning on upgrading my computer and I'd like to calibrate my expectations for wait times. Currently 49,392 patches takes somewhere between 45 and 60 minutes on my 10 yr. old, 1.5Ghz Athlon.

That’s slow
Mine is a Pentium 4 two threads 3.60Hz and at patch cont a 49,624 it takes 17 min. But you may want to go to a fare better processor. I plan on going to something like a “I7" with 4 cores.

I managed to get it down to 49,624 so when I am ready with it I will post two sets of the model. One with a complete model and one that uses an action.

The design of the pentagram is a lot better then the one I found. I is interesting to see the designs of the prototype/test article that became the GG1.:)

#10 photoman

photoman

Renderographer

• A:M User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Josh Harmon
  • Concord, California
  • Mac/Win

Posted 05 December 2010 - 09:04 PM

Last year I made a super high patch terrain model, which had over 100,000, patches. To render it, my computer would take approx. 35 seconds to "think" before it started to try rendering it. Also it ran at 6fps in wireframe and something like 25 spf in shaded. I am on a 15" MacBook Pro with 2.4ghz Intel Core Duo.
My Website
My DevianArt Page
Level: Advanced
Specialty's: Radiosity, Shading, and Outdoor Lighting

#11 thejobe

thejobe

Master Prop maker

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1072 posts
  • Jason Hess
  • New jersey
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 06 December 2010 - 02:43 AM

Last year I made a super high patch terrain model, which had over 100,000, patches. To render it, my computer would take approx. 35 seconds to "think" before it started to try rendering it. Also it ran at 6fps in wireframe and something like 25 spf in shaded. I am on a 15" MacBook Pro with 2.4ghz Intel Core Duo.

really? 100,000 patches? well try this one... only 625 patches and it runs alot smoother in wireframe but watch out in shaded mode... will definitily bog down your machine

Attached Files

my YouTube channel if your bored
need help with something? maybe i can help! Ask thejobe!
or you can ask for help on the forums here
I am also on Skype as thejobe100 if you want to do a chat session.

#12 rodger_r

rodger_r

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Rodger Reynolds
  • Windsor, ON, Canada
  • Windows

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:16 PM

That’s slow

Only if your not expecting it. I just structure my time so I can hit save and do something else in the real world.

...it takes 17 min...

Thanks. It's nice to be able to look forward to at least a 3X improvement.

#13 photoman

photoman

Renderographer

• A:M User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • Josh Harmon
  • Concord, California
  • Mac/Win

Posted 06 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

really? 100,000 patches? well try this one... only 625 patches and it runs alot smoother in wireframe but watch out in shaded mode... will definitily bog down your machine

The thread I posted about it is here: http://www.hash.com/...l=terrain patch

Photoman

PS Nice model DJBREIT btw
My Website
My DevianArt Page
Level: Advanced
Specialty's: Radiosity, Shading, and Outdoor Lighting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users