Photo
- - - - -

Content of A:M Extras CD is Online

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4632 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:19 PM

I didn't know you could see the content of the Extras CD online. This should be linked to in the online store if it isn't already.
http://www.hash.com/.../X_Vol001/Menu/

#2 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:58 PM

Yes, but for a while the zip files weren't there to download so the location wasn't well known. I just checked some random links and it appears the links work for downloading. (Exception: The tutorial resources files aren't there) It should be noted that this is NOT the content of the Extra DVD available via the Hash Inc store. While much of the content here should be on the DVD this Extra CD was released several years before. Note: The Extra DVD doesn't have this spiffy menu. (But it could if there was enough interest) Glad to see it's back online! :)
A good idea is a seed, not a solution or
"You can lead horses to water but they still will not animate feature films."
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#3 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 05:15 PM

I'd be curious to know if anyone has thoughts or suggestions regarding the Extra CD menu.
You know... for when we do eventually get around to compiling the next Extra DVD.

See the link above for an example from the inaugural A:M Extra CD.
The Extra DVD almost had a customizable/searchable/annotatable menu (via Tiddlywiki).
I'm sure there are other options as well.

#4 UNGLAUBLICHUSA

UNGLAUBLICHUSA

Jacob Marley was right, Mankind is our business!

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

My Robot I gave away isn't included there. How can I get it added?

Posted Image

I will give the whole scene (Project), Streetlamps, parking Meter, Guns, Crowbar, Hammer, Etc...
MAJOR 2D ARTISTIC INSPIRATIONS: (Not in order) - Josh Middleton, Richard Corben, Juan Gimenez, Travis Charest, John Byrne, Mike Mignola, Alex Ross, Alphonse Mucha, Maxfield Parrish, Paul Calle, John William Waterhouse, Adam Hughes, James Gurney, Steve Hanks, Masamuni Shirow, Frank Miller, Brom, Mark Harrison (2000AD), Hajimi Sorayama,Paul Catling.

#5 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 04:08 AM

My Robot I gave away isn't included there. How can I get it added?

You just did! :)

I've no idea when the next Extra DVD might be formatted and released but every day we move a little bit closer to that day.
If there are enough resources (and I now there are) who knows... perhaps several DVDs could be headed our way.

I do want to take what we've learned from the past efforts and plus them up for the next release.
I'd love to use Tiddlywiki but alas... it doesn't play nice with every browser. It'll display but I'd love it if everyone was able to edit and annotate their resources listings and run searches for what they want throughout the database.

Perhaps an Extra USB (as Jason once suggested) or something along those lines would be ideal for that kind of read/write access.
In such a case, the user could back up the data first (highly recommended!) but then use the resources as a starting place to produce the next great American/International film.
I have a few theories on what will work best but what I want is irrelevant.

What will be the best possible experience for A:M users?
Think big. Stop. Then think way bigger. Reinvent the way we do business.
Then bring all that back down to earth so we have at least a little chance at success. ;)

Keep looking for word on progress here.
In the meantime A:M assets can be uploaded and ran through their paces here.

I will give the whole scene (Project), Streetlamps, parking Meter, Guns, Crowbar, Hammer, Etc...

Thanks for the first official contribution to the next Extra!
(and thanks of course to everyone else who has contributed their time and resources over the years)

#6 DJBREIT

DJBREIT

Craftsman

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 05:41 PM

It would be really usefully if there was a way to set up the viewer for the contribution forum. Just a suggestion. :)

#7 jakerupert

jakerupert

Mentor

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1503 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:07 AM

I think it would be great to have a central place, where all this great contributions like the technocrane and the lightsaber for instance could be found...

#8 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

It would be really usefully if there was a way to set up the viewer for the contribution forum.
Just a suggestion.

To which viewer do you refer?

#9 DJBREIT

DJBREIT

Craftsman

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:30 PM

http://www.hash.com/.../X_Vol001/Menu/

Or something like it.
It would be helpful to have something you can browse since the amount of models have made a forum setup a little tedious to use. :)

#10 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

Returning to this topic for a moment and also to bump up this resource for those that aren't familiar with it...

Important Note: This is not the content of the Extras DVD available via the Hash Inc store. This is the predecessor to that.

It would be helpful to have something you can browse since the amount of models have made a forum setup a little tedious to use

In considering the next Extras release this is something under consideration.
It should be noted that while some of the process was automated, Vernon Zehr built the framework and manually added all of these resources and descriptions into the menu you see in the Extras CD content. He even coordinated the use of the Pure DOM structure with it's author who thought it was a great idea. All of this was no small task and he did it gratis.

Moving forward to the next 'Extras' release I'd love to discuss alternatives.
The format and means of distribution (more than the content) will ultimately dictate the timeframe of the release. A tentative target is mid to late 2012 we'll say Jan 2013 to be safe. Sustained interest can accelerate this schedule.

All methodologies have their pros and cons and when in doubt we'll probably revert back toward the classic Zehr menu. While the goal would be to maintain a free distribution, in order to keep it always available one option might be to charge a nominal subscription fee that grants access by way of SVN? Cloud computing? Not sure here, so we're entering the realm of 2012 pre-Extras R&D. Obviously, access directly from inside of A:M would be the ideal. I've seen several thoughts on that aspect.

#11 Vertexspline

Vertexspline

Apprentice Extraordinaire

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

One of the best asset sharing schemes is done over at luxology with modo. basically any registered owner is allowed to upload and or download to Luxology shared asset site any shared assets contributed. That includes images, meshes, textures, rigs ---they get rated as well. I always thought it was an awesome way to give something to the registered owners something the pirates cannot get. Smiles. Anyhow it works good for them.
------ Rich

"Just trying to get better each day"

#12 jakerupert

jakerupert

Mentor

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1503 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

unity also has an interesting online asset store system, that can be reached directly from within unity, and where users are also able to sell assets and asset-packages from plug-ins to modelpacks etc. While its undoubtfull a great thing, that almost everything in the AM comunity, is free, it could also probably give some boost to the comunity, if creators would be motivated by the possibilty of creating some -if minor- incomes. Just think of the - excuse me to use that word - poser comunity, that is almost entirely driven by that model. I guess, if you keep the prices low like in the range from 5,- to 10,- $ and leave all the old stuff for free, this could be a model worth thinking about. Have a look at the unity store. You can register there for free with unity base version.

#13 Fuchur

Fuchur

PatchWorker

• Hash Fellow
  • 4981 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 10:24 PM

unity also has an interesting online asset store system, that can be reached directly from within unity,
and where users are also able to sell assets and asset-packages from plug-ins to modelpacks etc.

While its undoubtfull a great thing, that almost everything in the AM comunity, is free, it could also probably give
some boost to the comunity, if creators would be motivated by the possibilty of creating some -if minor- incomes.

Just think of the - excuse me to use that word - poser comunity, that is almost entirely driven by that model.

I guess, if you keep the prices low like in the range from 5,- to 10,- $ and leave all the old stuff for free,
this could be a model worth thinking about.

Have a look at the unity store. You can register there for free with unity base version.

I always liked that idea of a store / sharing-platform.
I'll have a look at that and see what can be done there.

See you
*Fuchur*
"I know, that I don't know."
See my projects, tutorials, reviews and join the German Animation:Master-Community at
www.PatchWork3d.de

Name: Gerald Zum Gahr, alias Fuchur
What stands "Fuchur" for?

Do want to see my favorite A:M-images?
Best of A:M collected by Gerald Zum Gahr

Searching for a *.X-Exporter(DirectX) or a *.dts-Exporter(Torque) for A:M?
Exporter Page

And how can I export to *.FBX-files or other 3d- / game-engines?
FBX-Pipeline to Unity3d / DirectX-Pipeline to Quest3d

Need more converters? *.obj OBJ), *.lwo , *.act or *.dxf ?
Arthur Walaseks' Exporters

Searching for great and free plugins?
www.sgross.com by Steffen Gross

You are searching for tutorials? More video- and text-tutorials can be found here:
Tutorial section of PW3d

You want to make your own video tutorial?
Recommended Tools and Step By Step Instructions

"R M B" stands for "Right Mouse Button"!

#14 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:27 PM

Several in the community have approached the store/sharing platform before and it hasn't worked for a number of reasons. Hopefully, we can learn from those experiences and try again.

There was an article in the latest 3D World that described an effort to rate models so that purchasers knew what they were buying was of a high quality created with ideal methods. The skeptic in me thinks this may also be something of an effort to keep prices higher as the market gets more saturated thus forcing the lowering of prices. All of that was interesting but the big takeaway for me was that the average price for a model was $349.

Now I don't know about you but I'd say the average A:M User isn't likely to want to pay that price.
My own thought in the matter is that subscription access could be a good way to provide access because once you pay your subscription you have access to all models.

Another question (longer term):
How does one compensate someone for a resource of higher quality?
The concept you are fighting against is a simple one. You don't want someone to download your high quality model for free, convert it and sell it elsewhere for $349. Would someone actually do that? People will do a lot of things for money.

So, the driving model in the A:M Community has been free resources to the community. If a price is paid it's mostly as a handshake or a tip of the hat thank you that goes toward maintenance of (not the product) but the platform the resources rely on. Folks that have thought they'd be paid handsomely for their products might then gravitate to programs that (by design) don't let the user model.

I think it'd be great to see a iTunes-like application that had hundreds of models for .99 cents and profits were generated in volume. But while not impossible it isn't quite practical at this time. Any methodology that shares A:M resources would have to be right-sized and for that to happen one must consider the unique environment we are in where people tend to balk at paying $79.

Thusly, we have a forum area for sharing resources (A:M Exchange) that is not easy to navigate but for the moment at least seems right-sized.

Added: I should have also said that resources of a higher quality/higher price do get exchanged but that is often one-to-one behind the scenes (i.e. work that is contracted)

#15 jakerupert

jakerupert

Mentor

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1503 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:53 PM

Hi Rodney, I see things slightly different: >Several in the community have approached the store/sharing platform before and it hasn't worked for a number of reasons. <If you think hard, the store principal already works, it`s just not supported by Hash right now. Just think of fake AO, Stians Hdri files, X-taz models, Luuk Steitners plugin, you could add AM paint(has Hash support now), Tutorials, the squetchrigg and TSM2 would be worthy , just to name a few. This all could be centralised and organized by Hash , just make the prices low (like 5 - 20 $) and let Hash have a share and the creators have a fair share. I am certain, that it would push development. Most developments stopped or move very slow because of lack of motivation (by money). And we all could benefit from it. Another big step would be to make AM compatible to the polygon world, though I recall Martin stating once, that would be impossibnle resourcewise. Well, I am not a programmer and I don`t know, if this might have changed over the years. This might be a wortwhile endeavour for men like yoda or ludosi to open up AM to a whole new market, that`s really huge. (The fraud of stealing your work you described can never be really prevented, be it polygo or patchworld, so simply don`t care for it.)

#16 itsjustme

itsjustme

David Simmons......me.

• Hash Fellow
  • 5461 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:17 AM

<If you think hard, the store principal already works, it`s just not supported by Hash right now.

Just think of fake AO, Stians Hdri files, X-taz models, Luuk Steitners plugin, you could add AM paint(has Hash support now), Tutorials, the squetchrigg and TSM2 would be worthy , just to name a few.

TSM2 was a retail product that was generously donated to the community by Raf Anzovin, so the only one that has any right to profit from it would be Raf. The Squetch Rig is a community rig that many people donated their time for free to build, so I don't think it would be right to charge for it either.

#17 jakerupert

jakerupert

Mentor

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 1503 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:32 AM

To make things clear: I don`t want anybody to charge for these things, they were just meant as examples, for stuff I think people would be willing to pay a certain amount , lets say 10$ (don`t nail me for that amount), worthwhile store content....

#18 Kombowz

Kombowz

Apprentice

• A:M User
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

Anyone know where to get the iso image or the zip file of this old but classic content?

I remember downloading it once upon a time but for the life of me can't find it anywhere (more than likely got killed when my 320GB HDD went kaput...)

Would be great to have it back again. If you know where I can get it or perhaps someone that has it can re-share it, that would be great

Rodney had a posting on renderosity with a link here announcing the free content:
ftp://hash.com/amtutes/X_Vol001/index.html
but it's asking for me to login?

Also, does anyone know what is on the $30 extras DVD? I'm kind of tempted to pick that up to...

#19 markw

markw

• *A:M User*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

Also, does anyone know what is on the $30 extras DVD? I'm kind of tempted to pick that up to...

That, Kombowz, is a very good question and I'm not sure any one person dose or indeed could know!
I'm fairly sure though that most if not all that was on the Extras CD has found its way onto the DVD.

Although it's size at shipment is 3.89GB much of its content is in the form of zip files and my copy of it now stands at 4.41GB of data on my HD and I would not be surprised if it finally reach 5GB all told.
As with anything committed to a physical form, some information soon becomes outdated, some external links in articles no longer work but still the majority of it is all good stuff. And yes there are many models in there too!
Some attempt has been made at organising the content but you will still need to do a lot of digging and exploring yourself to get the most from it (but take a large ball of string with you least you get lost in its labyrinthine passageways!)

So is it worth the $30?
Well this is a completely subjective question at best and I can only say, that for me, yes! Worth every one of those $ and 4 years later I'm still finding new gems in it!
On a Mac? Not used Netrender before?
Then have a read of this...

#20 Kombowz

Kombowz

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

To my understanding there was an extras DVD that was a compilation of the community files (that is the content on the website mentioned above) which was FREE - the problem is now I can't locate the zip or iso file (can't remember now what package method was used) that was on the FTP previously. The $30 one on the other hand had other things on it that was developed by hash inc themselves? I can't see them charging for a DVD of content that was made by the community. In which I'm interested in what it has on it as there's no information or pictures to indicate what you get for your $30. Right now, I'd like to just get that community DVD back as all the guys and gals on the forum provided great stuff in terms of working with splines. This is most important to me as I'm still to this day trying to work with splines and would like to reference how others have modeled things. I just don't wish to spend a week downloading each individual zip file for each model etc that was available on it as it was quite large. Thank you for any help that you guys and gals can provide.

#21 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:27 PM

To my understanding there was an extras DVD that was a compilation of the community files (that is the content on the website mentioned above) which was FREE

No DVD was ever distributed for free to my knowledge.
The Extras CD, which predated the DVD by a few years was given away for free.

I believe somewhere in the forum I did a directory listing of the Extras DVD (a text file listing of all of the content). I'll give the forum a look and see if I can find it. I've found pretty much all my CDs I've ever owned related to Hash Inc but the Extras DVD I haven't found yet.

Edit: Click here to go to the post that has the breakdown of files on the DVD.

#22 Kombowz

Kombowz

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hi Rodney, The list in the text is not what I remember as free you are correct. The FREE CD or DVD included the cooper character that was modeled after someones son if I remember correctly. that is the CD I was looking for and I know was free and available on the ftp before. I don't see it on the FTP any longer though...

#23 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

The Extras CD Volume I (there never was a volume II... it transformed into the Extras DVD after that) can be found on the Hash Inc FTP site:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/windows/Am...xtrasCDVol1.zip (Right Click on this link as 'Save As' to download.

The original idea was to have a whole series of volumes but somewhere along the line it became just me working on the project.
But I didn't mind too much because I got to look up close and personal at some really great content. :)

I recall that even the guy who set out to champion the volume II CD didn't think we'd have enough content.
I responded with, "Heck, we've got enough content for five CDs!"
And thus began the move toward the DVD format.

#24 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

The FREE CD or DVD included the cooper character that was modeled after someones son if I remember correctly. that is the CD I was looking for and I know was free and available on the ftp before.

Yes, when I put the html and content from the Extra CD online (link in the first post above) it was more of a test to see if we could make distribution of Projects and Models work. As it was just a test it wasn't meant to stay online and the tutorial files (The Cooper Models that you saw) couldn't be found or linked at the time... I cannot recall but I think Colin had temporarily taken them offline.

I can go you one better though...
The Cooper tutorials that are on the Extra CD are only part of the tutorial.
Colin Freeman still has his whole tutorial set online.

Here's the link: http://www.colins-lo.../tutorials.html

I don't recall the Cooper character himself ever being shared.

#25 Kombowz

Kombowz

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

Yes, this is the CD I had in mind - Thank You Wow, 2005 folder... has it been that long? This CD should be moved into a more up to date folder. There are some valuable resources on this CD for learning for all new comers to A:M for sure. One other question - Are the Windows and Mac versions of A:M Identical? Thank you for all your help.

#26 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

Are the Windows and Mac versions of A:M Identical?

The Windows and Mac version of A:M?

Well, they cannot be identical because they are constrained by the different platforms but they are close enough to be as identical as humanly possible to maintain.

#27 Kombowz

Kombowz

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

What I mean is the features of the software itself. All tools, imports, exports etc are the same between each platform.

#28 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

All tools, imports, exports etc are the same between each platform.

Yes, of course. Hash Inc has long prided themselves as delivering the same hybrid compatibility to both Mac and PC platforms.
Where there is the occassional exception is with third party tools that are developed on one platform.
In the past Hash Inc has been very gracious at helping to port those to keep both PC and Mac users happy.

#29 Kombowz

Kombowz

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

That's good to hear. I guess the only question left is what different things are available for the mac? I know there's A:M Paint, A:M Track etc for the PC version. Are there anything special for the mac available?

#30 Rodney

Rodney

• Admin
  • 6873 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

I know there's A:M Paint, A:M Track etc for the PC version. Are there anything special for the mac available?

I don't know of anyone specifically developing for the Mac (I'm probably wrong here but I'm not a Mac user so I'm not in the know about that).
With regard to A:M Paint, A:M Track etc., it is my understanding that these can also be run on a Mac using programs like Bootcamp.

Are you looking to move to the Mac platform?

#31 Kombowz

Kombowz

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Actually, I just made a deal today and got a free early 2010 macbook (not working when I got it) although I did have to pay $20 for the OS and install a HDD as the HDD was trashed and I didn't get the OS discs with it. I figured since A:M was on mac as well, I would check to see if there were any tools or plugins etc. I've been missing out on that is for the mac that I wouldn't have been able to use before. Thank you again for all your help.