Hash, Inc. Forums

Surface Values

I was just about to start celebrating after Robert helped me mix Toon and normal on the same model in a render. It was going to save a lot of time. Then I saved the project and odd things happened.

I had modified one of the models, Delivery Man, that came with AM, giving him a beard and a dress shirt.

This is what it looked like with Normal render.

V17, OSX

Nosey Full 000.png

When I did a Toon render ( before he new modifications ), I noticed some mesh penetration,

Nosey Toon 000.png

I tried Robert's suggestion and was really pleased with the result, except I noticed some more penetration and spent a while fixing it.

Saved it and went out to do some analog 3D while it rendered away.

Came back and checked it, only to find that his beard , and other surface values had reset to the default ones of the original model. The mix of styles was there but the colours had gone.

Nosey 000.png

I then spent about 90 mins trying to get it back to how I wanted it because, very foolishly, I'd trashed the earlier files and couldn't get them back. But, every time I reset the values then tried to save it, it would crash out. Tried it in V18 but with no greater luck.

The original model is far better than I can manage but, I only wanted to use a small proportion of it and change the colours.( not trying to take credit for someone elses work ). Is there any way to reset the surface values to the default settings so I can go back and modify them without the originals showing through ?

Thank you for your timeand help

simon

Neighbour Two A.mdl

• Hash Fellow

I haven't tried the model but my first guess is that this is a Group ordering problem. You probably have some Groups that have some common patches between them. This is not necessarily fatal.

Try dragging a Group whose properties seem to be getting ignored to the bottom of the Groups list.

When two groups have common patches, the lower Group in the list is the one that is obeyed for the common patches.

I had that same problem a long time ago, Robert is right, its just a group order thing.

I did notice the last render you can see the characters hand in the reflection of the binoculars, wondering if its because there is some flipped normal on the binoculars?

Ken

Thank you for your reply.

The hand reflection is perhaps because he's standing in front of a glass window with a reflection value set on it ?

If not, may keep it as is because I quite like that look.

I am having other troubles with high specular values suddenly appearing. Trying to sort that but it may just be because I'm very tired and have miss set something.

regards

simon