Hash, Inc. Forums

now you see it...

phatso

Hmm. Thought I posted this last nite, but don't see it.

I've made about 1,000 models in A:M, but only now started to animate. I must be doing something wrong: A:M loses things. About every 5 minutes I get a real time render error message, so I save, and when I re-open the project, patches and decals are missing.

Also, even more of a problem, in the timeline the lines and keyframes show up...and then they don't. Dunno what I'm doing to cause this, they just disappear, and they don't even wait for a save/reopen to do it. I click on a group and see the lines, click on another group, then come back to the first group and the timeline is blank.

Along the same lines: transparency info goes haywire. The workspace and timeline will show 100% transparency, and the object will be transparent, but about the 3rd save, the object goes opaque, even though the workspace and timeline still show transparent.

System: Optiplex i7, Nvidia Quadro K620 card, 2 monitors (4 monitors planned). Saving up for the latest A:M version, in the meantime working with V13 and V15 discs.

Graci graci

• Admin

I will guess that your drivers for the Nvidia Quadro K620 card need to be updated/replaced/regressed or otherwise tweaked.

V13 and V15 discs

That may be a factor as well with current systems but even then I'd focus on the graphics card first.

In those versions some satisfaction could be gained (on a PC) by switching from Direct3D to OpenGL or vice versa in Tools Options panel.

You might try that before anything else.

• Hash Fellow

Yup, sounds like a video card issue.

While you are still on v13 or v15 you should make sure you have that last version of those by getting the installers from the Hash ftp site.

Rodney, switching to direct3d helped...it doesn't hang any more, doesn't lose patches, rarely loses decals. Timeline still not working right, the lines always show for camera and choreography, but not for individual objects or bones. Sometimes I can get them back (for a while) by completely closing and re-opening A:M. Can't really be a video card problem because it was happening before I got the card, when I was just using the computer's native capabilities.

Something else just started happening. I'm getting long lists of "attributes" in the pws. Where did they come from?

Dankey Showin'

• Admin
Something else just started happening. I'm getting long lists of "attributes" in the pws. Where did they come from?

That sounds like a bug that was fixed so... as Robert suggests... make sure you have the latest installer of the version you are using.

With v13 that should be something like v13p++. WIth v15 that would be v15J+.

In both cases the + indicates a minor update (very likely only affecting the Mac) but still the ideal installer to launch.

If you are using the installer from the CD that's very likely not the right one.

I just added a link to the FTP site in the quick links category on the forums front page. I should have added that a long time ago. The older installers are located at:

ftp://ftp.hash.com/pub/updates/

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, lessee...my other computers are XP, and I'm going to keep using them cuz they're never on the web and I never import files, only export, so I ain't much 'fraid of viruses. So yer sayin' if I bite the bullet and license the current version...18?...it'll run just fine on my W7 machine, and be compatible with version 13/15 files I bring in from the other machines? Cuz I can't pay for V18 licenses for all my computers, and I shouldn't have to, I only use one seat at a time. Tho if I keep gaining weight, I'll have a seat and a half. :rolleyes:

Am I right?

• Admin

You shouldn't have any issues with running v18 and v19 on W7 and there shouldn't be any major issues with v13 and v15 files** either.

Installing on multiple computers... that can be an issue.

Send (Jason at hash dot com) and email and see what they can do for you.

**The standard issues can arise when trying to take a new file back to an older version of software. Code written into a Project file, Model, etc. in any version can be expected to move forward fairly well (because the software has been written to accomodate the changes. The reverse generally is not true because the programmers of older releases couldn't see into the future and write code to account for new processes. So, the general rule would be to leave a copy of a file in the format originally written and then save a copy with a different filename to indicate it has been updated to current software. For instance, when working with files way back from v8.5 in v18/v19 I will save a copy (embedded usually) with "v19" at the end of the filename. In this way I don't 'corrupt' the original file and it can still be used as it was when originally created. I will add... A:M is quite good at warning the user when an update will occur that might run afoul of file formatting changes. The user is then given the choice to save (overwrite) or save under a new name.

Ah. Clear now, thankee kindly. Now that I think about it, best if I do not try to talk Jason into a multi-seat deal, because the other computers are XP and who knows what will happen if I try to run V19 on them. As long as V19 runs fairly glitch-free on my W7 machine, and I can import the models & chors I make in V13/15 on the XP machines, I will be happy.

• Hash Fellow

You should be able to take files from v13 to v19. A:M is supposed to be able to import every thing from v5 onward. If you found one that didn't work that would be worthy of a bug report.

You may be able to take files from v19 back to v13, but as A:M has added new features and fixed bug in each successive version, it is possible that something you save in v19 may contain things that v13 doesn't know how to handle. The more plain vanilla your file is, the more likely it can travel back to older versions.

You definitely can't bring v13 or later files back to v12 or earlier. V12 and earlier don't understand the XML file format that was adopted in v13.

Hmm. I seem to have found the problem with disappearing lines in the time line. Whenever I copy and paste a keyframe, from then on the lines don't show up. If I click on the choreography, the lines are there, if I can sort them out...but not when I click on individual objects. Closing A:M and reopening temporarily fixes the problem. If I copy a keyframe by writing down the coordinates, moving the cursor, and typing in the coordinates the problem does not occur. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug? Still using V13, don't want to migrate to V19 til the current project is in the can.

• Hash Fellow
"If I copy a keyframe by writing down the coordinates, moving the cursor, and typing in the coordinates the problem does not occur."

I'm not sure what you mean by "coordinates"

If you can come to Live Answer Time I'd be curious to see this in action.