Hash, Inc. Forums

Moving bones in the PWS

So lately in V18p, I've been crashing over and over when moving bones to different locations in the PWS bone tree.

I click on a bone and drag it to the new location and A:M crashes. It doesn't happen everytime, so I haven't been able to

solidly replicate it. But when I'm moving bones in the PWS it crashes. I have noticed that if I'm moving with the CTRL button to

duplicate a bone it sometimes happens as well.

Anyone else dealing with such an issue.

If you have time to try the same sequence in the video (on the AM Report) I'd be curious to hear your result. I tried it in the v19 alpha and got a crash also.

I started by moving bones around for quite a while without an issue. Then, I decided to start over and count how many times I moved a bone...here are the numbers before crashing: 57, 39, 16, 2. rebooted, 37, 37, 34. Then, I decided to move Groups instead, here are the numbers before crashing: 2, 2, 2, rebooted, updated video drivers, 2.

So, I don't think it is isolated to just moving bones.

Hope that helps.

• *A:M User*

I joined in because this has been an issue for me for awhile. On the first move, crash. Then after restarting it took ten times before a crash after that it seemed to be not an issue. On a grouping it crashed after two times.

• Hash Fellow

Then, I decided to move Groups instead, here are the numbers before crashing: 2, 2, 2, rebooted, updated video drivers, 2.

So, I don't think it is isolated to just moving bones.

And now that is Issue #6694. Thanks for catching that. I probably haven't moved a Group in a long time.

• Hash Fellow

I'll just note again that any of you can make AM Reports! It's a hundred times more likely to get found and fixed if you can provide a PRJ and steps to make a bug happen, however.

I see that I reported a Group dragging crash back in March and it did get fixed then but it came back apparently. Steffen is on it!

One of my theories (and this is extremely non-technical) has to do with constant saving of a project, as I earlier mentioned. It's as if there's a cache or something that gets really full and is emptied upon saving? My problem seems to be that the moving of bones in the PWS causes too many items to become updated indicated by a '*'. The astrix indicat that these items are unsaved. I'm guessing the computer has a cache for unsaved data that is emptied upon saving? It is this bogged down cache that SEEMS to overwhelm my system and crash it when bones and bone groups are moved around. This is how it feels to me. I mentioned mac earlier because A:M seems to be slightly at odds with Mac files and graphics. It has gotten to the point that I just bought a new PC and will be getting a new license for PC. My friend whom uses A:M on PC enjoys so many advantages that I don't. He can see his emitters moving in a simplified mode, his rotoscopes work and are consistent. His layers are visible in a choreography as he moves around a POV. This information is extremely helpful when animating. I just assume the bones crashing issue has to do with a dischord that exists between A:M and Mac but if y'all are experiencing it too then it's a problem. Also, I noticed that when building a model from scratch, A:M keeps creating these 'rotoscope' files that are essentially non-files. THe actual rotoscope files still exist but these empty ones keep getting automatically created for some unknown reason. Anyhow, by the time I get to creating hands or the face, the system will barely move. Somehow the creating of CPs and their manipulation seems again to create a cache of some sort that becomes full. What I do consistently with each model is copy the entire geometry into a new model at some point mid-geometry creation. This seems to reset it. Sorry to rant as again I am highly caffeinated and have the whole day off to work on this stuff. It is possible that this may be of help.

Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 10.01.04 AM.png

Also, I noticed that when building a model from scratch, A:M keeps creating these 'rotoscope' files that are essentially non-files. THe actual rotoscope files still exist but these empty ones keep getting automatically created for some unknown reason.

Hmmm...that phantom rotoscope problem was a bug in A:M long ago that got fixed. It also happened on PC side. Those roto items actually showed up in materials, models, chors, etc and you had to delete them manually (text editor).

What version of A:M are you using?

If you are using recent version of A:M then submit a bug report, with simple case.

I have found in newer versions of A:M that if you delete all those phantom rotoscope items (in materials, models, etc probably created in older versions) from the PWS and then save your materials, models, chors, etc in newer version then the problem goes away, not to be seen again.

It use to be that if you save anything while the rotoscope ickies are showing in the PWS, then the contamination of all files just keeps getting worse (ie more and more dum dum roto references).