Hash, Inc. Forums

Creating a UV layout (decal stamp in Blender)

Hi there folks,

since Neymax script established a pipeline between A:M and Blender, you can now do your UVing much more comfortable

in Blender and bring the model then with the UV layout as decal stamp back in A:M. The attached picture, which is taken in

A:M, shows the kind of UVing you can do in Blender.

At the first glance the process is quite complicated, but it is in fact not as difficult as it seems.

This is a short tutorial which shows the very basics of the process. If you have questions, just ask.

xhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oRehwuOSqI&feature=youtu.be

Okay, got it working. Nice stuff :).

I exported Edi to Blender using the OBJ-Exporter (polyperpatch: 4).

Then I used Blender with the help of the tutorial (and reseting the interface to be able to follow Heiners tutorial).

Then I selected a few edges and maked them as seams for the UV-map (I am sure it can be done better than what I came up with) and used the automatic UV-mapping-method in Blender to UV-map the model for me.

Then I exported it using the MDL-Exporter (which works very well... be sure to import it into an already existing MDL-file and you may need to rotate the model afterwards and flip the normals once,,, seams like blender is using a different coordinate system). One more thing to note: Blender recognized the groups from Edi and brought it in the blender-interface from the OBJ nicely, but the plugin does not export them back as A:M groups currently, as it seems. Not a big deal, since you are likely using a full body texture, but it would be cool if that could be added somewhere in the future.

After that I exported the model as OBJ again and brought it to 3dCoat to paint on it. (I recently got a Wacom Cintiq and with it, it really is fun to paint quite freely on the model).

And after saving the textures out of 3dcoat, I had my own little painted eddy-model in A:M.

This is just an workflow test! Please do not expect something fancy, but it really is doable and did not cost me too much of my nerves (okay, okay, blender was hard for me as always ;) but it did a good job UVmapping the model).

See you

*Fuchur*

PS: This is a screenshot of my 2 monitors (blender and A:M) and the Cintiq ("3. Monitor" > 3dcoat). The order of the steps would be a little different (first A:M, then Blender, then A:M again, then 3dCoat, then A:M again), but you get what I want to show you.

PPSS: For anyone who did not notice till now: This is a VERY BIG THING! Being able to export from A:M to Blender and then back to A:M is a very long awaited thing! It opens up quite many possibilities... I used 3d Coat with it, but you can practically use anything you want with it...!

screenshot_am_blender_3dcoat_am_workflow2.jpg