Hash, Inc. Forums

removing geometry from a hair emitter

TheToadStool

Hi this is probably a dumb question, but how do I make the geometry of a hair emitter render as invisible while the hair still shows through? I thought maybe the transparency of the geometry could be set to 100% and that wouldn't affect the hair emitter. Upon a multi-pass rendering, the hair disappears. I feel like there is a simple answer to this... This model was made before I discovered the treez plug-in, by the way...

Adam

Screen Shot 2015-08-17 at 7.34.56 PM.png

• Hash Fellow

I just tried a quick test and was able to do it.

My first guess is that you have more than one Group that your emitter patches are assigned to and one of them is making the emitter not transparent.

Sample PRJ: TransparentEmitterTest.prj

transparentemitter.JPG

Thank you all so much, by the way. I've been having different problems with this, but it may be by my own doing. I was just rendering a model in multi-pass and progressively the hair would disappear. I think it's fixed now.

thanks again,

Adam

I thought maybe the transparency of the geometry could be set to 100% and that wouldn't affect the hair emitter.

Ah yes. In some versions of A:M that works (as it should), in others it doesn't. In some versions there is a magic combo of settings for the emitter, and in others there isn't. I've stopped trying to figure out what/how hair works in each version. It changes sometimes from version to version (in my experience).

However, what I have done to make the geometry transparent, and leaving just the hair - is to apply a tga image (included in zip file), with an empty (all black) alpha channel to the group of patches that has hair. That is, rt click, on group/add image/choose invisible cookiecut image and change the type to cookie cut. Seems to works in all versions (with and without Multipass rendering)

invisiblescalphairpatches.jpg

invisiblecookiecutdecal.zip