Hash, Inc. Forums

idea for contest

ludo_si

hello, I find it interesting to work on contests. it enables progress, discover software functions. Also, I suggest (even if there is no price) to work on competition. I propose as super heroes characters. could be the first Tor. It can work on hair and fabrics for the cape. which would be very interesting would be to make timelapse or tutorials for anyone who wants to share his technique. what do you think.

• Admin

I assume you mean 'Tar' as in Will Sutton's 'Tar of Zandoria'?

I'm guessing we may have a character contest (usually referred to as a Mascot contest) coming up soon as we are overdue for one of those.

That topic isn't generally limited to heroes though.

oh yes, I forgot the H Thor. I am ashamed lol.

I thought this superhero. First because it's a character. Second, the hair can be used for simcloth cape. And many other techniques. Why a contest, just because it is exciting to work together on the same project.

the spelling checker on my tablet. and it's more a problem than a benefit. that's why there was a mistake in the name. i speak french. I use google translate to communicate.

• Admin

For what it's worth... I like the idea of a superhero contest.

One focusing on the interpretation of a specific character would be nice as well.

Is there a particular reason it needs to be a contest though?

I'm not suggesting it can't be a contest but it could also just be a challenge you start in a WIP topic.

Like... "I challenge thee to create the ultimate Thor... and document the journey along the way."

Folks will either play or they will watch from the sidelines.

It'd be interesting to see the various approaches folks would take to the character.

And since Thor isn't exactly a Marvel character exclusively... folks could be pretty broad in their interpretation.

• Hash Fellow

I was previously thinking of an image contest with a summer theme like "flower" or something similarly narrowly focused so that people can vote for a \favorite without feeling they are choosing between apples and oranges.

If we do an image contest i will donate some prize for the top ten entries.

The idea is to mistrust between people who want it. Working around the same subject would be Thor. In fact, it's just for fun;

to put some time in competition or challenge in time, it is stimulating. and then it makes you want to use the tools and sometimes discover others. I love that. and if the players explain some technical or do timelapses, they can show their technique to everyone with Master Animation.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Admin

I like the idea of modeling insects. (Ludo could even model one as Thor)

Here's the real underlying question though... how do we get from talking about having these contests and actually having them. ;)

We need a system that launches these things quickly so people can get busy and join in.

So a related question might be, 'does it have to be a contest?'

Can someone just post a topic and say, "Have at thee foul foe.. I will now model an insect and I know for a fact you shall not model one better than me!"

(Say that in a Marcos (Xtaz) Rezende winner take all voice!)

Contests do have some things attached to them that typical challenges do not... prizes for instance. Bragging rights. Fame. Immortality.

Perhaps winners of topic challenges could be eligible for later/formal voting?

Perhaps the winners of the challenges could be determined by a simple forum poll?

How can we make this work? :)

• Hash Fellow

How can we make this work? :)

Rodney, how about if I just go ahead declare a contest, provide some prizes and set the rules. Then we'll have a contest. Would that be do?

• Admin
Rodney, how about if I just go ahead declare a contest, provide some prizes and set the rules. Then we'll have a contest. Would that be do?

I was thinking more long term and in perpetuity... establishing a framework for continuing contests rather than a one off contest where we'll end up going through the same process later... but sure, if you want to start a contest... have at it. :)

My concern is that where there is no framework for contests... um... er... there is no framework for contests.

Are you looking to be 'the contest guy' or just planning to run this one contest?

I ask because a confirmation of the former would allow everyone to point at you and say... talk to that guy.