Hash, Inc. Forums

Front Project w/shadows

rekh

Hello,

Will helped/pointed me in the right direction to get shadows on a rotoscope image. Grabbed an image from the net, slapped my giraffe on it ... I did a search on the forum, and found a great pic of the settings that robcat2075 added to the forum....

How do I get strong shadows in my images. I played with various settings, and the shadows actually got worse. Is it a ground thing, or is a light thing?

confused.

post-9708-1347344192_thumb.jpg

• Admin

If by 'strong shadows' you mean a crisper outline if you lower the width setting of the Light the shadow should appear harder.

Klieg lights are often used for softer shadows (especially for raytracing) so you might change the Light type to Bulb or Sun.

A lighting expert will be along shortly to shine the light on us. :)

• Hash Fellow

The way a ray-traced light (Sun lights are always ray-traced) shadow fades out at the top is a special case when "rays cast" is set to 1 and the "width" is set to a non-zero value.

For an absolutely sharp shadow with no fade set width to 0

For fuzzy shadows with no fade set "rays cast" to greater than 1 and "Width" to some suitable large number.

How do I get strong shadows in my images. I played with various settings, and the shadows actually got worse. Is it a ground thing, or is a light thing?

Make your ground plane: Front projected & Flat shaded

Start with 1 light that has shadows, a default width Klieg type with z buffered shadows., use default softness of shadow, or tweak to taste, tweak darkness of shadow. Add other lights, if you must, but you will have to retweak.

For this image: I believe I had chor/global ambiance Type = global Color = white, Ambiance intensity = 50-75-100?%, with 1 white Klieg probably 50-100%, shadow softness = 6.25%? darkness = 80%, color = black. Rotoscope image is all white (could be any image). I also used jenpy's fakeaocpu post effect for more darkening of "creases" on model.

EDIT: If you use ray trace shadows (with any kind of light), then the ground should NOT be Flat shaded, or else the shadows won't show. The shadows won't be as dark either.

3testraggy0.png

Edited by NancyGormezano

beautiful image, rekh!

Thanks, John.

I'm pretty sure the background image is from the Samurai Jack series; or at least from that artist. And naturally the giraffe is my attempt at the tutorial. Used a different model sheet ... but followed the instructions as presented in TAOAM.

Thanks for the encouragement.

• 2 years later...

I am having some trouble trying to get this working. When I make the ground not be flat shaded, it receives shadows fine (from a key light and a sun), but the color of the projection is off. When I make the ground be flat shaded, it does not receive shadows, even though "receive shadows" is enabled in its properties. Any hints? Thanks!

-Vance

sample2.jpgsample1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...