• 6931 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 26 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

Interesting.

It almost looks like after a time some of those wealthy enough must have seen the triple portraits and said, "I want one of me too!" even though unrelated to sculpture.

Of course some of those triples might also have had other purposes such as trying to test some angles, lighting or such before a final work.

But it does seem that as time went on the practicality and purpose was lost giving way to exercises in artistic invention.

The practical use for sculpting certainly makes more sense to me and I must assume sculptors rarely cared to share their preproduction paintings as the sculpt was the entire priority.

Also with the advent of photography I can see where the references could be much more plentiful and perhaps an final photographic montage presented to the subject of the sculpt would only consist of what was deemed the best of the poses which would take away from their usefulness strictly as reference for the sculpt from front, side and 3/4 views.

A lot of conjecture on my part to be sure but regardless its fun to see that once again the more things change the more they remain the same.

Now I find myself a little surprised that 3D artists haven't borrow more from old world sculpting practice although they certainly operating under many constraints when when decaling first appeared as a viable texturing approach.

"Animation is 90 percent hard work.  The other half is entirely mental!"
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#302 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23920 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 02 June 2018 - 05:42 AM

Live Answer Time returns on June 2, 2018 at Noon CDT

June 2 is the 119th birthday of German silhouette animator Lotte Reiniger

Lotte_Reiniger_1939.jpg

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#303 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23920 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows

Posted 08 June 2018 - 11:42 AM

Live Answer Time again on June 9 2018 at Noon CDT.

June 9 is the 127th birthday of Zachary Brewster-Geisz look-alike, Cole Porter...

Coleporter.jpg

Robert Holmén
------

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#304 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23920 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:21 PM

Live Answer Time reconvenes on Saturday June 16 at Noon CDT

June 16 is the 226th birthday of English landscape painter John Linnell

640px-John_Linnell_-_In_Dovedale_-_Googl

Robert Holmén
------

#305 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23920 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows

Posted 23 June 2018 - 08:22 AM

Live Answer Time will meet again at Noon CDT on Saturday June 23

June 23 is the 106th birthday of British computing pioneer Alan Turing

176px-Alan_Turing_Aged_16.jpg

Robert Holmén
------

#306 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23920 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows

Posted 13 July 2018 - 09:34 PM

Live Answer Time returns from its hiatus at Noon CDT Saturday July 14

Our special guest will be David Simmons to answer our questions about the Squetch rig.

July 14 is the quadruply-notable anniversary of the births of animation pioneers Dave Fleischer, William Hanna,

Austrian gold-leaf painter Gustav Klimt, and... The French Republic (Bastille Day)

480px-Gustav_Klimt_046.jpg

Robert Holmén
------

#307 Shelton

Shelton

Steve Shelton

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2335 posts
  • Steve Shelton
  • Tulsa, OK
  • current
  • Windows

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:53 AM

Thanks David for joining

I kept getting knock off

In Production (somewhat of a production) "Cupid's Sick Day"

#308 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23920 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows

Posted Today, 05:29 AM

Another Live Answer Time on Saturday July 21 at Noon CDT

July 21 is the 49th anniversary of the first walk on the Moon

1418450360_1804761673001_vs-5039df584d07

Robert Holmén
------

#309 largento

largento

Animated Puppet Parodist

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3694 posts
  • Mark R. Largent
  • Dallas, Texas
  • current
  • Macintosh
  • Contests Won:**

Posted Today, 06:22 AM

Im going to have to miss this week, but hopefully Ill see you all next week.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users