Hash, Inc. Forums

folds in clothing test

3DArtZ

Hey guys,

been a while since I've been tinkering around with anything....

this afternoon I wanted to test binding a displacemnt map to a bone to see

about adding some folds to clothing... just to get an idea on things...

anyways, preliminary resutls...

about 800kb sorenson

http://www.3dartz.com/vids/MapShirtq2A.mov

Interesting. Are you using smartskin to drive the displacement percentage when the bone rotates on the X, Y or Z axis?

Hey Mark,

long time no speak!

I'm not using smartskin here. I'm using a displacement map that has it's value set to the Y rotation of the back bone via

relationship.

When the back is straight, the value is Zero. when the value is Y -90, the value of the displacement map is set to 85%(could have

been 100%, but that was waaay too much.)

The map isn't all that great, it was just to serve as a quick run through.

Mike Fitz

www.3dartz.com

So, you set it up in a pose then. You could have used smartskin too.

Now, set it up in percentage slider so you can set the max displacement percentage that is used at -90 degrees.

Is this a question or are you thinking out loud? :)

I added the percentage value of the displacement map to the relationship pipeline in A:M, then I created a new

relationship for the y rotation value of the bone I was using.

Mike

Hey Mike...cool test...it's good to have something going on other than watching that 'other' thread...

A thing to remember when using the new displacement feature... convert (or make) your art in Photoshop in 32 bit depth color range and save as a PNG. To convert what you already made... do the conversion than add a slight blur to respread the pixels in 32 bits...

Thanks!

That is really cool stuff, Mike! :)

So, do you use an expression to convert the Y rotation of a bone into a displacement percentage?

thanks paul! You certainly could do that, but what I did was basically synch up the Y rotation and the

Value of the disp. map so that when the bone would move on the Y rot, the value of the map would change at the same time.

Ok, you are starting to confuse me. :)

Ok, can you adjust the amount of displacement at -90 degrees on the fly? Without having to edit the relationship?

Hey Mark, I'm good at that! One could not change the user set value of the map on the fly. You would have to pop back into

the relationship and, in my case, change it from 85% to whatever you wanted. Its not really hard or time consuming to that though unless one had a boat load of maps.... which I could see happening.

Hey Mike...cool test...it's good to have something going on other than watching that 'other' thread...

A thing to remember when using the new displacement feature... convert (or make) your art in Photoshop in 32 bit depth color range and save as a PNG. To convert what you already made... do the conversion than add a slight blur to respread the pixels in 32 bits...

Thanks!

Im sick over that "other" thread:0

Thanks for the info on the maps, will follow that for the next ones.