Hash, Inc. Forums

BUS STOP is here!

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

Here it is, only 2½ months into 2011, the 2010 A:M forum collaboration project... BUS STOP!

Download it to your computer to view with Quicktime.

BUS_STOP_the_2010_AM_Forum_Project.mov

A big "Thanks" to everyone who took part, there's a lot of great ideas in here and I think you'll enjoy showing this to your friends.

And thanks to Mark (mtpeak2) for making the fine set that tied it all together.

If I made mistakes on anyone's name or messed up their clip (or left something out?), let me know and I'll try to fix it before I put this up on Youtube

I apologize for not completing this sooner. 90% of that is just me not getting my segment done on time. But that's the perk i get for organizing it, no one can call time on me. ;)

So... our 2010 project is in the can. Who's going to organize 2011? :o

Get the print quality version of the poster here.

BUS%20STOP%20smallE.jpg

Amazing work Hashers .... I'm proud to be part of this forum.

Robert ... the animation, in your sequence, is really good as well as Pfeifer's sequence.

Who's going to organize 2011? [2]

• Hash Fellow

btw, I still haven't figured out the technological problem of creating a 24p DVD so i haven't made the DVD version of BUS STOP yet which means...

You all still have time to do your commentary tracks!

I want to make a DVD image if only for the learning experience of authoring such thing that includes menus and features so i encourage you all to plug in that mic, hit play and tell us about your segment!

Nice job everyone, it came out great. Great job of putting it all together Robert.

Looking forward to building the next set. ;)

A few ideas for the next one, the city street I was working on, a stage (talent show), Robert's next room or a bar set.

• Admin

Bravo! Very entertaining. Funny too! :)

Community projects like this are a great way to exercise those animation muscles.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about everyones segments and how they put them together.

Well on the Mac I was able to add it to my Dashboard (I guess that means it's saved to my hd but I'm not sure how to find it) and on the pc I only was able to save the "index.php" web link, but not the movie itself. I'm home today but I'll try it again on the pc tomorrow.

• Hash Fellow
I'm looking forward to hearing more about everyones segments and how they put them together.

Long story short... everything about mine was ten times harder than i thought it was going to be. :angry:

btw, I still haven't figured out the technological problem of creating a 24p DVD so i haven't made the DVD version of BUS STOP yet which means...

You all still have time to do your commentary tracks!

I want to make a DVD image if only for the learning experience of authoring such thing that includes menus and features so i encourage you all to plug in that mic, hit play and tell us about your segment!

Like I said before, pretty sure I can do it in Pinnacle. It was an option and though I never burned a disk (how do you determine if a disk is 24fps after it's burned, just to be sure?)

• Hash Fellow
(how do you determine if a disk is 24fps after it's burned, just to be sure?)

- if you rip the DVD you should get 24fps files.

- if you single frame in a DVD player you should get 24 frames for each second on the time counter.

Ah, gotcha, good stinking as my mother would say. When I get a day off (that's assuming I will get one....) I'll play with burning a disk. Big thing is that the raw video file is 24fps cause the program judges it based on what the clip was (and I do assume this was exported at 24fps).

On another note, just watched it, much enjoyment have I :) Well done everyone!

• Hash Fellow
Santas telescope?

When I was little there was a commercial for a terrible Christmas movie that ran so much we got sick of seeing it. I don't recall the name of the movie but it had a long list of things you would SEE like "SEE Santa's magic reindeer!" and "SEE his magic workshop!" and the last one was "SEE Santa's magic telescope!"

So nowadays whenever I make a movie I like to claim you will "SEE Santa's magic telescope!" I've also used that for party invitations and company department meetings.

Very fun to watch!

Very well done guys!

*Fuchur*

Nothing more to say!

Fantastic!

BTW: @ Nancy: you did the one with the clouds, right? Could you please tell us how you created the material of the protagonist's suit?

Hey, I can't figure out how to download this. I'm on a Mac with QuickTime Player v10, and at work on a PC with QTPro v7 and I can't see a download option on either one.

Okay, on the pc if I do "Save as source" it downloads a file called "index.php" but it's the whole movie. Just renamed it "BusStop.mov" and it seems fine!

BTW: @ Nancy: you did the one with the clouds, right? Could you please tell us how you created the material of the protagonist's suit?

Hi Elm - I just realized I don't know who the protagonist is in this story!

Not sure which material you are looking for, so let me know if you need different information:

For Prince: I used BitmapPlus material with an image of a patch of chinese silk brocade that I made seamless, his waistband is a cylindrical decal with another image, his shoes are cylindrical decals, his hat is BitmapPlus with another image (brown gold sky/clouds), the hat poof is BitmapPlus (with rough cut wood image)

Sleeping Booty body suit: cylindrical decal using snakeskin image for legacy bump map - 300%, as well as same image for 100% color, overlayed with blue/turquoise gradient image (75% color)

SleepingBooty0152Materials.jpg

Santas telescope?

When I was little there was a commercial for a terrible Christmas movie that ran so much we got sick of seeing it. I don't recall the name of the movie but it had a long list of things you would SEE like "SEE Santa's magic reindeer!" and "SEE his magic workshop!" and the last one was "SEE Santa's magic telescope!"

So nowadays whenever I make a movie I like to claim you will "SEE Santa's magic telescope!" I've also used that for party invitations and company department meetings.

To be quite honest I think I've seen the movie maybe, well MST3K riffed this movie called Santa Claus in which Santa battles the Devil over Christmas and one of the things was Santas Telescope (looked like a big eye on a 1960s war of the worlds flying machine)

• Hash Fellow
Okay, on the pc if I do "Save as source" it downloads a file called "index.php" but it's the whole movie. Just renamed it "BusStop.mov" and it seems fine!

What browser are you using?

• Hash Fellow

One of the things you can all be proud about is that all the segments are visual stories, there's no dialog needed. Anyone around the world can watch BUS STOP and understand it.

In screenwriting they say "don't say it, show it" and everyone did that!

For Prince: I used BitmapPlus material with an image of a patch of chinese silk brocade that I made seamless...

Thanks so much for explaining, Nancy!

Yes, I was referring to "Prince". And I was talking about his suit. I had the expression, that you also used a reflection map on his suit, as it seems to have some kind of "glitter"...

BTW. "Bitmap Plus"?! - have I missed something? What is it?

Greetz,

Elm.

Yes, I was referring to "Prince". And I was talking about his suit. I had the expression, that you also used a reflection map on his suit, as it seems to have some kind of "glitter"...

BitmapPlus is a plug-in (material), that was written by Marcel Bricman (see original thread here), and I think? it is now included normally with A:M. Wonderfully easy to use straight out of box, but comes with lots of tweakability (most of which I don't understand). I usually just tweak size, scale of pattern, and repeat counts. I believe Marcel originally intended the material to be used for things like tiling flat surfaces with repeats and introducing variation in direction, and color. I don't use it for that. You can overlay decals ontop of surfaces that have BitMapPlus material, the decals will take precedence, so you would make the opacity of the decal less than 100%.

The "glitter" or scintillating effect is an illusion, and is probably due to the smallness of the detail in the fabric pattern, and the small number of pixels that it resolves to on the screen. The brocade image itself also has variation in lighting in it already. I've uploaded the image for you to try. You can substitute any image easily.

bitmapplus1.jpg

bitmapplus2.jpg

chinese0093seamless_copy.tga

Edited by NancyGormezano

For Prince: I used BitmapPlus material with an image of a patch of chinese silk brocade that I made seamless...

Thanks so much for explaining, Nancy!

Greetz,

Elm.

BitMapPlus is a quite cool material-plugin from Marcel Brickman (it is included with A:M nowadays), which can handle tiled textures in a much more advanced way than the other material-/decal-options.

You can create one if you create a new Material, rightclick on the property and change its type to "KCI dnd > BitMap Plus"

See you

*Fuchur*

Nancy, Fuchur -

thanks again for pointing me to that; I've seen that menu option lots of times, but never really tried that material out... I have to though..

THANKS A LOT!

Again - good work, fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Hash Fellow
Santas telescope?

Here's another historical example of the "SEE..." device used in a movie poster:

flinstonepost.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Hash Fellow

300 downloads!

GERAT JOB to everyone, just watched it and must say proud to be associated with all of you.

Thank you! Don't miss out on the next forum project, coming sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Admin

I greatly appreciate this topic being bumped this up to the top of the forum again.

These shorts are great for viewing again from time to time.

Wonderful job everyone and great editing Robert.

Please take another bow.

As Robert suggested, there is another community project in the works so get ready!

This was a great little project indeed--fun watching and inspirational for all I am sure. And nothing better to learn by then trying to complete a project with set parameters that force you to come up with solutions . So look forward to seeing a new community project. Have to get learning fast now.