Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Character WIP

Here is one of my characters for an upcoming project. His name is Pana-boon and he is a very hungry, childish bear. Besides only modelling half, and I know he needs paws, feet, eyes, not being done, etc. :)

I'm looking for input about proportions, splinage for animation, rigging, etc. I will be covering him with the new version 11+ hair and rigging him for animation using the standard Hash 2001 rig.

Any thoughts or do you see any problem points that may cause headache later in production? What about the overall character design? He will be a mixture of a children's bear / realistic hair with a styalized look. IF that makes sense? Some where between cartoonish and realistic. I have a plot line and story. He will not talk, but I want to get emotion out of him, so I will need to rig the face, mouth, teeth and tongue. He will be very energetic, running, jumping, moving, etc.

I am dedicating all of my free time to this personal project, so I am not concerned about schedules, etc. I want to have fun with it and want to learn as much as possible out of the process. I will be posting more information within the next few weeks about this project on my web site, (if you are interested in following my project along) Shameless plug. :D

Any input is greatly appreciated! :) I know that HASH forum includes some very talented people, and I would like to tap into their knowledge and experience.

Thanks in advance for your crits.

post-7-1076610105.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would maybe add one more spline ring above the one in the middle of the thigh, because as you shape that joint in animation, it will be easier to do if you have 3 points to work with--the same way that you do at the elbows and knees...

Even though you are not going to lipsync, you may find the idea of concentric rings radiating out from the lips will give you more control for shaping the mouth for other expressions.

These are just my 2cents, you may not need to do them at all...the model looks nice, I look forward to seeing it with the fur.

Hi Joseph,

Your model is really looking great! The only crit I have is, as others have mentioned, that the spline pattern around the face may not deform well when you create expressions. I made a little bear as well, here is a screenshot of the wire frame, maybe it could give you some ideas. Here is also a shot of how it deforms. His mouth can open even wider for more extreme poses. Hope this helps, and keep up the good work.

Javier

wireB.jpg

Surprised.jpg

UPDATE:

After pulling and pushing spline control points, I think I'm getting closer to what I want.

About the eyes: Should I use to half spheres for the eyelids? Or is there a better way?

Nice very good.

I personally like the way you have the eyes now.

Keep'um coming good work.. :)

Personally, I feel it would be time to do the ol' copy-flip-attach thing, so you can really get an understanding of the character's form. I would like to see the belly smoothly blend into the sides more. There's kind of a wavy thing happening right now.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Another UPDATE!

I feel satisfied with the character design (for now...) :D

Time to finish up the groups and start playing with the new hair system.

Here is about 10 minutes of work. I know there needs to be more tweeking, but hey what the heck... I'll post an image.

More to follow soon...

More info about this short film..... www.be3d.org