Hash, Inc. Forums

Can anyone here author a 24p DVD?

robcat2075

• Hash Fellow

A 24p DVD is one that stores the 24fps movie ( or 23.976, really) without converting it to 30fps. Almost all Hollywood movies on DVD are that way.

I have cheap DVD software that can do NTSC 30 and 29.97 DVDs but not 24p DVDs.

I ask this because I'm thinking of distributing the finished "Bus Stop" movie as a DVD image that people could download and burn at home and it would have things like chapters for each segment, commentary track, a caption track that identifies each animator, and maybe other extras?

Since the movie would be rather short the DVD image would be manageably small.

But right now I'm just wondering if anyone has 24p authoring capability.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, is there any particular reason it has to be 24fps? I mean the difference between 24 and 30 is barely if not noticeable at all and I'm not sure, but did most people render it in 30fps or 24fps? I've been doing a bit of reading though on authoring 24fps and some suggestions include using Quicktime as a compressor of sorts and to have it all bundled up in a QT file at 24fps and burn the file directly instead of going through a third party app such as iDvd or whatever. But I'm not sure how one would do menus and the like. Like I said before, I've made some fairly advanced menu systems with Pinnacle, but Pinnacle seems to only do 30 fps and not 24. However, hmmm, I did just have an idea which I will explore after watching an MST3K :)

• Hash Fellow
Well, is there any particular reason it has to be 24fps?

All the animation is 24fps. That's the major reason.

TWO was done in 24fps but the DVD is 30 and created the 30p footage by crossfading frames. It's watchable but 30p footage takes more space on a DVD than true 24p footage and is less clear frame for frame than a true 24p DVD.

The software i have converts 24p footage to 30p by repeating every 4th frame which is a poor method.

Almost all the movies you see on DVD are 24p DVDs. DVD players convert 24p to 30i at playtime.

Yeah I know about films being 24 fps, y'know, theatre projectionist and all :P Like I sort of alluded to, I have an idea about something, but I have to go onto the other PC and try some things out cause I *may* have a way of burning 24fps in Pinnacle.

Wow, just doing more reading, editing and stuff in 24fps obviously isn't much of a problem, but man, apparently even Adobe Encore doesn't encode 24fps DVDs, but I'm still digging around seeing if I can find something that does. Part of the problem is that most DVD apps that say they encode 24fps don't, they're actually being converted to 29.97fps in the encoding phase via methods you described earlier. But, not giving up, least not yet ;)

Well, see it seems that the problem resides in the fact that not all DVD players are progressive scan. From what I can tell, Progressive scan is generally the 24fps format, however, most TVs receive the signal at 30fps (aside from Plasma TVs and a few others out there). Now to do this, the 24fps DVD needs to do something known as 3:2 pulldown explained here which apparently is the best way of doing this conversion of 24fps to 30fps as like I said, pretty much all TVs play in the 30fps format. The main reason then for encoding in 24fps is simply to maximize disk space. Now our problem of burning a 30fps disk, is the conversion process happens before it's burned and depending on the method, quality is lost or frames jitter, also, we then lose the benefit of those playing the DVD on a 24fps television (in which there is a minor quality improvement if encoded in 24fps).

Now for us, our ideal situation probably would've been to render in 30fps in the first place, joys of digital animation is we can control our raw footage ;) However, getting everyone to re-render is absurd, especially if some of them were intensive renders.

Now from what I can tell, I can encode the final video in 24fps, however, I would then have no method of creating a DVD menu. See if I encode the footage in 24fps, I can simply drag and drop onto the disk as if it were a simple data disk and so we'd skip the DVD encoding stage in which it would convert the footage to 30fps. Downside is no menu and less compatibility with players because then we'd have to choose a format such as MPEG2 and there's still a bunch of players in circulation that don't read that kind of file format. On top of that, the DVD player wouldn't do the 3:2 pulldown so the player would most likely skip or have some form of archiving occur.

I haven't tried my idea with Pinnacle yet, because I'm pretty sure it has a Progressive scan option which might do the trick for us, so I'll keep you updated on my findings.

Oh and an interesting tidbit, apparently authoring to BD-R is somewhat easier as BD-R is more native to 24fps than DVD. It seems that most BD-R encoding software offers the option of 24fps (among others) however I have neither the software or the hardware to do BD authoring

by George I think I got it! So Pinnacle didn't have an option for the project to be in 24FPS, however, it does have a "set from first clip added. So I added one that I just rendered at 24FPS (shoulda exported to 23.978 or whatever for better results) and low and behold, when I checked the project settings, they were at 25FPS (thus why I should have exported to 23.978) and then I just burn the DVD at 100% quality (according to the program says the disk will have 70 minutes, but it's been known to miscalculate) so it looks like in theory I can do it!

• Hash Fellow
Now to do this, the 24fps DVD needs to do something known as 3:2 pulldown explained here which apparently is the best way of doing this conversion of 24fps to 30fps as like I said, pretty much all TVs play in the 30fps format.

The the 24p to 30 conversion is done by the DVD player and has never needed to be stored on the DVD. That's part of the DVD spec. Some old DVDs have movies stored as 30 fps video but they didn't need to do that.

There is a whole universe of 24 fps DVDs that we've all been buying and renting *for years* and playing on our NTSC TVs without a problem. That's because the DVD players have been doing the conversion. The movie doesn't need to be stored as NTSC to be played on NTSC sets.