Hash, Inc. Forums

A character I started working on yesterday

Thanks Rob

It does look like he is yawning. I was working on his mouth and teeth so I used an action window to make sure everything was placed right. In the original model sheet I used his eyes were closed. I usually upload whatever model I am woeking on but this one has too many issues right now. I actually made this one after seeing the last character you did. I was trying to keep the patch count low but still have a nice looking model.

This is the static pposed model.

jbkn0.jpg

du0.jpg

lol I had to look into the surface properties to see what you were talking about. I usually model a characters skin using blue and turning up specularity. It makes it easier to see what I need to smooth out. I just forgot to change it

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That is a great model, Jirard! Trying to figure-out what porcelain does- here I thought if you used the new 'normal weight' feature at 100% it would do the same thing... but I get odd results. When I open the hood of porcelain tho... all it is- is a material that sets the normal weight at 100% What is the difference?

It was a later feature... V17...18? I thought there was some discussion on the forum about it be a sort of replacement for porcelain... but even tho I think it does the same thing... the porcelain looks much better on your model.

aaa_2.jpg

• ____ 1

I see, I will have to use it from now on. Porcelain has always given me the soft look I want. It even works great in face poses. What are your SSS settings? Oh I also replaced the model last night after looking at the pic. I realized her head was too wide so I used distortion mode to shape it.

More tinkering...eye mascara via material gradient... added creases above and below eyes by pinching Jirard's bias handles on those CPs... think I might start adding hair next- dickering between A:M hair or geometry hair...

ALSO- I used this model to explore the capabiliites of the new(ish) SSAO feature, and I am really pushing it here. The trick I have discovered is I realized that the GAMMA setting is reverse to my way of thinking. I thought by cranking it up to it's max (2) that the AO effect would become DARKER.... wrong-ola! Try lowering the gamma and your SSAO will become darker- more pronounced! I also spread-out the effect by increasing the distance and radius settings.

AManda2.mp4

I like the modelling on the lips- I even added more splineage! I added another ring of splines around the skin/lip perimeter to puff the lips off the cheeks a little bit... here is an image of where she stands now... I added a decal of a radial gradient (black to transparent) inside of the nostrils that adds better definition to the bottom of the nose... I am also working with some muscle-mode poses (smile, pucker, blink poses) and I added some bones using the falloff feature to calculate smooth CP weight amounts, around the lower jaw and the eyebrows- great feature! Still below 30 seconds per frame to render...

New render coming shortly!

HNY_000.png

HNY_008.png

• ____ 1

• Admin
What is the trick to getting a gif to play in the forum?

Size does matter.

I'm not sure of the exact size but... whatever that size is... we have to post a size equal to or smaller than that. ;)

Then the gif will animate directly in the post rather that be represented by a still image.

(All that conversion stuff happens automatically in the background by forum code)

I confess that I've gotten lazy with this as the primary program I use to turn sequences into gif animation just lets me specify a shrink value and I know that "4" works and provides a reasonable size.

Since the original size in that program defaults to 1920x1080 it would seem that a gif animation of 480x270 should animate in the post rather than be replaced by the still image.

Start a new topic and post a few random sizes in that 480x270 range and that will tell the tale!

• Admin

You should be able to hot link from other sites but the size may make a difference there as well.

BUT you don't want to link from another site... because that link is more likely to break or just go away (resulting in sad faces when the topic is read in the far flung future)

Uploading as an attachment is the best bet all the way around.

• 4 weeks later...