Photo

Demon with squid-like wings

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23304 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • v18
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

A quick modeling test for something I've been itching to try: the "demon with squid-like wings", one of the many ghastly creatures in Michelangelo's painting "The Torment of St. Anthony"

squidlikewings.JPG

I tell ya, that guy must have been a saint to put up with all those demons chewing on him.

• Fuchur and Dpendleton77 like this

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

Enter the 2017 Summer Memories Image Contest

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#2 Tom

Tom

Journeyman

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • - - - -

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:56 AM

Excellent model...can't wait to see everything put together!

#3 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23304 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • v18
  • Windows

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:40 AM

I'll warn that it won't happen fast, there's a lot that would have to be invented from that one view.  :unsure:

I've actually seen this painting in person over at the Kimbell Museum in Ft. Worth. It's rather tiny, only about a foot across.

Robert Holmén
------

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#4 John Bigboote

John Bigboote

that one guy

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6220 posts
  • John Bigboote (aka Matt Campbell)
  • Detroit, MI USA
  • v18
  • Windows

Posted 17 August 2015 - 01:46 PM

I tried to hit 'like' on this but was told I had hit my quota for positive notes for the day...(!)  I hadn't used ANY!

#5 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6621 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:29 PM

Nice detail work Robert.

A good idea is a seed, not a solution
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#6 detbear

detbear

Chronic Visualist

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts
  • - - - -

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

Looks cool Robert.

#7 nemyax

nemyax

• *A:M User*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • - - - -

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:17 AM

I tell ya, that guy must have been a saint to put up with all those demons chewing on him.

He's either that or the Doom Guy.

#8 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23304 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • v18
  • Windows

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

I'm going to need more shape information than the painting gives me so...

I've been trying to find some creature that has a head similar to that demon and I'm thinking that, minus the triceratops frills, it's basically a rodent because of the side-mounted eyes on the head rather than front-wise-facing eyes like a cat.

RabbitmouthOpen.jpg

My next step was to look at rabbit skulls to see how they are built and... geez, get a load of this :o ... a rabbit with fangs much like the demon.

Rabbit skull tooth pathology.jpg

Robert Holmén
------

#9 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23304 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • v18
  • Windows

Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:01 AM

Michelangelo's painting was actually an art school project and the earliest of only four known easel paintings by him. He based it on a previous engraving of the same subject by Martin Shongauer.

In terms of the depictions of the creatures, both have strengths. In Shongauer's version the demon with squid-like wings has a head that is much more dog-like than Michelangelo's and more anatomically plausible.

Attached Thumbnails

• SchongauerMichelangeloComp.jpg

Robert Holmén
------

#10 Dpendleton77

Dpendleton77

A:M Padawan

• *A:M User*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts
  • Douglas Pendleton
  • Washington,DC
  • v18
  • Windows

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:00 AM

Those wings are looking good so far.