Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Exercise 2: Chorus Line

Lesson 2 is complete. 40 seconds per frame for full frame rendered AVI? Is that normal? This four second vid took almost 45 minutes to render. 56 MB for four seconds too. Wow. LOL.

Rendering time depends on a lot of things...like reflective surfaces, transparent surfaces, refraction, ambient occlusion, materials, volumetrics, hair, cloth, etc. So, it depends on what you are rendering how long it will take. As for file size, that depends on the type of file and compression you are using.

You will also notice that the stage and background look slightly different from the examples in the manual and there are no shadows. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

My guess is that you didn't have "Cast Shadows" turned on in the lighting, Rob.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lesson 2 is complete. 40 seconds per frame for full frame rendered AVI? Is that normal? This four second vid took almost 45 minutes to render. 56 MB for four seconds too. Wow. LOL.

Rendering time depends on a lot of things...like reflective surfaces, transparent surfaces, refraction, ambient occlusion, materials, volumetrics, hair, cloth, etc. So, it depends on what you are rendering how long it will take. As for file size, that depends on the type of file and compression you are using.

You will also notice that the stage and background look slightly different from the examples in the manual and there are no shadows. Why? Your guess is as good as mine.

My guess is that you didn't have "Cast Shadows" turned on in the lighting, Rob.

Thanks. I'm a little afraid of the render times. I thought I had a pretty good computer LOL. I haven't gotten to the lesson that tells me how to adjust the lighting or turn the shadows on (I have no idea where the controls for that stuff is). I didn't see that in the PDF part of lesson 2. But I've learned from Robcat's notes on my lesson one that there are some differences between the PDF lessons and the audio/video ones on the site. I'm just about done with lesson 3 so I'm going to post that and then tomorrow I'm going to go back and listen to the audio/video versions of the first three lessons. Then from there on out I'm going to do both at once.

• Admin

Regarding using both the video and text exercises:

Then from there on out I'm going to do both at once.

Good choice.

I commented on using both resources after your Exercise 1 post.

I hope everyone is paying attention. ;)

The PDF (manual) and the videos may be different but that is a good thing in my opinion.

The differences will help a new user of A:M learn the ins and outs of A:M and understand more thoroughly than using one alone. Use all the senses you can to learn.

David mentioned some of the common elements that drive render time up (reflections for instance). Don't be afraid to experiment.

Turn things on.

Turn things off.

Break things. Reset things.

Explore.

40 seconds for one frame isn't a lot relatively but the options that are turned on make a difference. It should be noted that when starting out its probably a good idea to render with most of the options turned OFF. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I did most of this a few months ago when I said I was going back and redo ToA:M.

Finished up the Camera moves and played with the lighting last night.

At this rate I'll probably be eligible for my certificate in a few years. :D

Kan_Kan.mov

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hooray! Exercise 2 is done.

Attempt #1: took 90 minutes. Ended in failure. When the process was rendered it came out in .jpg stills, because I had not reset it to an .avi file after completing exercise 1. D'oh! Also noted that rabbit's feet were encased in the stage like a mafia hit. 20 minutes rendering time out the window.

Attempt #2: took 1 hour. This time I had the tutorial going in a second window while I was working on it. I didn't try to do anything out of the ordinary, I just wanted to get the thing to work, but I ended up with a neat effect anyway that was totally not something I tried to do. After thinking about it I realized it was because I moved and played with resizing the actors after dropping the cancan action on them.

Hope this link works:

Lesson1.avi

oh and I screwed up the nomenclature too apparently. Exercise 1 is now labeled Lesson #0 and this, Exercise 2, is labeled Lesson #1.

• Admin

All of the Can Can purist may find fault with the slippage but I think you discovered a pretty neat effect. ;)

If you open the Timeline (View/Timeline) and look on frame zero I bet you can find the key and delete the key that makes those guys change size.

Rabbit and Shaggy moving forward reminds me somehow of the old Tony Orlando and Dawn show. Rabbit and Shaggy being Dawn.

XD actually I had originally made a comment about them being "backup singers" but I took it out before posting. Glad to see someone else sees it! Except now I've got "Tie A Yellow Ribbon" stuck in my head. :-/

I'm going to play with this version a little and see if I can 1) get them not to move forward, as suggested, and 2) maybe loop them into another kick. I tried to do that by increasing the time to 3 seconds but they just stopped, I realize now that I left the repeat number at 1. If I get a take I like I'll repost it. Otherwise, on to Exercise 3!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Name: Mike Gulley

Exercise Completed: Exercise 2

Date Completed: 11.28.09

Instructor: TAO A:M

Ex_2___Can_Can.mov

Fun fun fun ! I just can't wait to get more into camera movements . Thus far the controls for camera movement leave a little something to be desired , but I'm sure that's just an artifact of my inexperience ... I'm just so used to AE's camera system that A:M's is going to take some getting used to I can tell . No biggie though , I'm in this for the long-haul .

#3 shall have to wait till tomorrow ... oh wait , it already is tomorrow ... time to go home for a little bit ... lata !

• Admin

Looking good Mike! (Rabbit looks like he's a bit stressed though)

Thus far the controls for camera movement leave a little something to be desired , but I'm sure that's just an artifact of my inexperience ...

As you suspect, in time you'll find the camera to be even more flexible and controllable.

You can even create your own camera rigs with controls to meet your specific needs.

The basic camera setup is designed for ease of use and some never feel the need to change it.

I'm not that familiar with AE's camera setup but its quite likely it can be replicated if you need that.

I wouldn't lock into that paradigm too quickly though as you may miss other opportunities that';; serve you better.

LOL ! Yeah , the little rabbit was tired n grumpy ... apparently they'd all been practicing their dance moves for quite some time n the knight and shaggy kept slackin' off ... ok , not really , I was just messin around with the pose sliders to see what all i could do with 'em at this point ...

N thanks for the advice regarding the cameras ! I was suspicious that there would be some way to customize the rig ... judging from the camera moves in TWO I am certain that A:M can accomplish anything that I can envision and more .

And I am absolutely thrilled with my overall experience with the program and the forum community thus far . There is so much information readily available that one is completely set-up for success right from the get-go ; all one has to do is read , ask questions , and experiment ...

Gotta bust out some Cavs animations then it's back to TAO A:M !

Lata lata !

arlnee, did you get the slide fixed?

one of the mistakes I always made at the beginning was to move a bone to a certain position without checking to be sure I was at the beginning of the animation. A:M would then interpolate from the last keyframe, or from the beginning if I hadn't moved the bone up to that point.

• Hash Fellow
I'm just so used to AE's camera system that A:M's is going to take some getting used to I can tell . !

my AE is so old it doesn't even have a "camera".

But in A:M I prefer to use the top and side/front view to look at the camera while I'm moving it.

Hit R to turn on the rotate manipulator and you can turn it on one axis at a time.

What up Rob ?!

No camera in your AE ??? LOL ! Indeed that must be a SLIGHTLY aged version ... but AE's like a fine wine , right ?! :) I think the camera came into play around version 6 ? No matter though , A:M seems more than capable of taking care of one's virtual camera needs .

And thank you for the quick tip concerning the A:M camera ... I was only aware of using the "T" , "M" and "Z" keys ... the Rotate option will be a BIG help as that was what I was trying to accomplish when I was doing this exercise but could never figure out how . And I will definitely try out moving the camera from other viewpoints ... sounds most promising .

This forum rocks . All you guys who help us newbies out are the best . Thx again !

Lata lata !

CAVS 96 ; MAVS 83 - YE-AH !!! (7:55 left in 4th qtr.)

• 1 month later...