Hash, Inc. Forums

Exercise 10: FW-190 Fighter

• Admin
I made this model much better and faster then when I did it the first

time in 1999

When I read your post for an instant I thought that you were referring to the plane instead of your modeling talent. I was looking at it with an eye for how it was a faster plane. LOL

So.. this probably means you built the Fokker back in 1999.

Perhaps the FW-190 is just a faster plane. :P

Good job!

Rodney

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Very nice Kurt. I do wish you had posted an image that has the plane shown without the border cropping.

In comic book terms I think it violates a rule of composition. Namely that the aircraft isn't seen as a separate object freely floating (or in this case flying) in 2D space (in this case air). It's almost as if the viewer could assume that something is supporting the airplane via its propellor.

The ground also I wish was just a bit lower... perhaps if the camera's POV was just a little lower.

You could probably get away with making the cropping of the propeller work if the plan appeared to have just left the ground. A sliver of blue sky perhaps indicating the plane was airbourne.

A stretch I know but that is what I thought when I saw it. Take the commentary for what its worth.

The composition appears intentional on your part and I assume this may just be a frame from an animation you created. The modeling and decalling though... the point of this exercise... is spot on.

Great job.

Rodney

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Jody Krivohlavek

Exercise Completed: Exercise 10

Date Completed: January 1, 2006 (HAPPY NEW YEAR!)

Instructor: AM Handbook, Video Tutorial and everyone that's ever posted to these forums.

(Been around since the Playmation days )

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement:

Got another one done, added control surfaces and more detail to the landing gear on mine. I also made copies of the rotoscopes and cleaned them up for better decals. :D

Happy New Year everyone! Blessings to your families from mine. :wub:

FW190FIghterPlane.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Name: Ross Klettke

Exercise completed: #10

Date completed: Quite awhile ago

remarks: I did this exercise a long time ago and didn't particularly feel like redoing it... for practice however, I did go back and model a few of the parts over, but the picture is of a render of my old model.

post-5080-1137829674_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Name: Claudio Ravenstein (fybs)

Exercise completed: 10 FW-190 Fighter

Date completed: 5. February 2006

Instructor: The book

The propeller turns a bit to slow, so I have added 40 or 50% motion blur, can’t remember exactly but the blur does not fix the problem, so I took it of again. I will have to go back and set the key frames again but I am itching to much to get on to the next exercise.

It was grate fun getting to know the so straight forward system of A:M and I have never learned a program with such depth that is set up as easy and logically as this one.

Grate thanks to the magicians that created it and thanks to those that have kindly helped me on the forum so far.

Fybs.

post-8441-1139566192_thumb.jpg

04FokeWulf.mov

Hey I have a question about animating the propeller. I followed the excercise in "simple walk and wheel cycling actions". I made my propeller turn 4 times per frame, but I would like to add blurr to the propeller only, can i do that or does the blurr has to affect everything in the picture?

Hi Dhar,

I am glad that it is my turn that I can answer you something for a change. Though I think it might be a little late and you have already found out by now. The motion blur picks up anything that moves. Tell me if I am wrong. You can adjust your blur to pick up just fast or slow movement. My propeller moves far to slow so I put some 50% motion blur onto the render. The propeller had plenty of blur but the slow in frame moving aircraft none. It looked stupid on a slow moving propeller so I took it off. I also noticed that on some frames the blur missed out. Maybe so the eye can still make out the propeller I guess. I had hoped that a slow moving propeller with plenty of blur would look like its turning so fast that you can only notice a shadow of the propeller, and as we seen it in many war films it looks like a shadow of the propeller moving very slow. It’s hard to explain the effect I am on about but I am sure you know what I mean. We can see it in fast moving wheels in cars too. B)

Hi Dhar,

I am glad that it is my turn that I can answer you something for a change.

Whoq Claudio, I forgot all about that blog. That's almost 1 year ago :lol:

You're right though, I did figure it out, but thanks for replying, it just might help someone else :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your encouragement Leo.

I'm still trying to render the talking cat so that the final mov is less than 1MB ;)

This is proving to be more difficult than doing the exercises :(

I think I am up to render number 7, having tried all sorts of different settings.

If this doesn't work then I am just going to lop off the end and post 1MB of the final product.

Regards, Ken.

I am having the same problems, and it is like you said: More work then the exercise itself. The same problems I have also on some of the other exercises that I have completed but not being able to upload for its size. I have tried Sorenson and I have tried re-rendering them in Adobe Premiere but I still find it hard getting them into a size small enough to send but big enough to see.

Exercise 10 completed

Name: Bob Koonce

Exercise Completed: FW-190 Fighter

Date Completed: 3-17-06

Instructor: Individuals on forum, TAoA:M, Video tutorials, and other material.

Remarks/Suggestions for improvement: None at this time

Any comments or constructive criticism will be appreciated.

Thankx,

Bob Koonce B)

Bob:

One immediate comment: Use a more natural pose, one that shows the model in a normal aspect. We can't tell how you modeled the top of the plane. Also, the landing gear doesn't look quite right, but again, it's hard to tell. Overall, it looks like you did a fine job and accomplished what the excercise tried to convey.

Bob:

One immediate comment: Use a more natural pose, one that shows the model in a normal aspect. We can't tell how you modeled the top of the plane. Also, the landing gear doesn't look quite right, but again, it's hard to tell. Overall, it looks like you did a fine job and accomplished what the excercise tried to convey.

Eric, here's is a top view:

Exercise 10

Thanks for your comments,

Bob Koonce B)

• 2 weeks later...

Stephen,

Great job on the plane. Really the only crit that I have is on the dark one. With an image that dark, I would think that the highlights on the plane would be less pronounced.

Keep up the good work

Leo

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to do exercise 10. The issues I am having is the scaling between the different views isn't lining up. For example, I will place the rotoscope of the front image in the front view, scale it so the wingspan is 34 feet. When I switch to the left view and add the side image and scale that so that the length is 29 feet, and switch back to front view to add my splines, go back to left to place it, it no longer lines up on the front view. Is this normal? I am doing pretty much doing the same as in the video tutorial.

thanks

Name: Tyson Oswald

Exercise: 10

Date Completed: April 25, 2006

Insructor: Mnaual and Web Video Tutorial

Comments/Suggestions: This was a fun exercise, I had some trouble at first but worked my way throught it. I had to re decal my sides but that was no big deal. Tried adding bones, got a few, had issues with the canopy so left it alone. The ground in my chor didn't turn out quite like I wanted but hey, it's still green I added an extra propeller blade because three was just not enough.

EX10.jpg

• Admin
I got bored doing the airplane so I just rotoscoped some chess pieces instead. What do you think? Does it need changes?

Show off! (very nice!)*

ahem... needs more flying planes shooting back and forth. Explosions... mayhem... you know the drill!

:P

*P.S. Can we get a closer view please (maybe post that in the WIP section for all to see)

• 2 months later...
  • Admin

Nice Dhar... that's got it fixed.

Thats definitely a keeper!

If I didn't know any better I'd say you are becoming something of a perfectionist.

I say this in a complementary way.

Thanks for the sound file too. That'll be really useful.

Now if I could just find a way to download those putfiles... I could collect these animations. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

James/Bruce,

Fine job! If you get a little extra time make sure you try an animation of the plane on a path to really make the creation of that plane worthwhile. Nothing like seeing your plane fly for this exercise. :)

Dhar,

Don't know how I missed your post.

You said:

Well, the file size is 1.9MB, the forum let me upload 1.2MB only. I could e-mail it to you, would you be able to do something with it?

You can send it to me and I'll either get it linked/posted or find another way to incorporate it.

Thanks!

Rodney

James/Bruce,

Fine job! If you get a little extra time make sure you try an animation of the plane on a path to really make the creation of that plane worthwhile. Nothing like seeing your plane fly for this exercise. :)

How's this...?

[attachmentid=18820]

just under the 1 meg limit...

Fly_I.mov

James/Bruce,

Fine job! If you get a little extra time make sure you try an animation of the plane on a path to really make the creation of that plane worthwhile. Nothing like seeing your plane fly for this exercise.

Will do, Rodney. As soon as I figure out how to make the prop spin.

Bruce

James,

How do you spell... O U T S T A N D I N G? :)

Nive... very nice.

Here is one I had to do without sound to get it under a meg

[attachmentid=18846]

Too bad the color grainy without sound is 4 meg...

Will do, Rodney. As soon as I figure out how to make the prop spin.

Bruce

I just assigned a bone to the whole prop, then rotated it once in an action

In the chor, I applied that and adjusted its speed and # repeats to fit the

the loop...

Fly_III.mov

I just assigned a bone to the whole prop, then rotated it once in an action

In the chor, I applied that and adjusted its speed and # repeats to fit the

the loop...

Thanks James,

I'll try that. I also just watched the tutorial on walk cycles and wheels. It looks like I might also be able to animate the propeller as a wheel (Euler limits). I'll try both, but your way sounds easier. Thanks.

Bruce

• Admin

James,

Thats a pretty good take on old film.

You might turn on some Film Grain from the Render Panel and if you could add a few larger splotches of white (not too large!) it would really sell the effect.*

I'm impressed with you guys' dedication and imagination.

*Looking again it seems you've already got some of both in there... maybe turn up both effects just a bit?

John Bailey

Exercise 10: FW-190 Fighter

8/5/2006

American B-29 bombers have been sighted crossing the English Channel for a surprise dawn raid. Your squadron has been scrambled to intercept and stop them from reaching Berlin and Dresden. You race across the wet air strip to your fighter that waits armed and poised for the fight. Your heart races as the big BMW engine roars to life; a quick check of the controls, a punch on the throttle and you’re off to meet your destiny in the early morning skies over Germany.

http://media.putfile.com/Focke-Wulf-FW-190A-8

JohnnyB

• Admin

Johnny,

Nice work... you are getting the cinematic storytelling thing down too I see. :)

For some reason 'Putfile' movies have been locking up on me lately... I'll have to look into that.

It might just be that I need to clean out my cache or something.

If you are still refining this one I'll suggest the plane roll out on all three wheels... gaining speed... until finally it lifts off. As it reads right now the plane rather defies gravity... hovers here and there and takes off more like a Harrier jump jet.

Compositionally I'd move the tree somewhere else at the beginning (maybe towards the left corner?) or adjust your camera angle. As it appears right now the tree looks like it could almost be a part of the plane... or the pilot! Hey... don't laugh. In cartoons anything can happen.

Admittedly all I've seen thus far is through choppy Putfile viewing so not sure what is all yours and what is Putfiles.

You might consider adding your narrative intro to the movie itself too... that be sweet.

A little practice with the Font Wizard too. :)

All you'd need is the front of the fonts. They wouldn't have to be 3D.

Rodney

How's this? :)

http://media.putfile.com/Focke-Wulf-FW-190A-8

I'm told that the tail wheel does lift, on acceleration up to air speed, but I think I've kept the craft looking more balanced and the pilot does roll it down the airstrip instead of just trying to lift off like a chopper. (He's probably an ex-helicopter pilot.)

I wet down the airfield so you could see the wheel contact better. I'm starting to get the hang of that tricky path constraint without sinking into the ground - for a stretch there, this luftwaffe pilot thought he was a U-Boat skipper. ;)

Now, onto that giraffe.

JohnnyB