• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Stumped!

I am at a holding point on page 124 of this exercise, I don't seem to under stand what is being asked here,

is the directions asking me to connect the control points that I am showing in the screen capture I added?

[attachmentid=15295]

Bob Koonce B)

post-2243-1142797255_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Disregard my last post, figured it out :D

Completed exercise 11

Name: Bob Koonce

Exercise Completed: 11 Giraffe

[attachmentid=15472]

Date Completed:3-26-06

Instructor: Individuals on forum, TAoA:M, Video tutorials, and other material.

Remarks/Suggestions for improvement: None at this time

Any comments or constructive criticism will be appreciated.

Thankx,

Bob Koonce B)

post-2243-1143513042_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I DID IT I FINALLY DID IT ITS OVER ITS FINALLY OVER.... ehhem sorry about that :D

Name: Sam Wiley

Exercise completed: 11 giraffe

comments/suggestion: i don't care what you guys say i don't want to go back to this one i had to have 2 cups of coffey to calm my nerves

[attachmentid=15980]

sweet i only have 3 more to complete and then i'm done with it

post-8557-1145002103_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'm normally fine without a video tutorial (I've actually only used one video tutorial for flower power)! Anyways, I just have a quick question with this one...

on pg 122 (Yeti book) it says in the Neck section to "click a control point on the back ring of the head. Pick [Edit][Complement Spline] to group just the back spline ring."

Anyways, as you can see from my screen capture I can't seem to find the "Complement Spline" button. Am I looking in the wrong place? :huh:

[attachmentid=18122]

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :D

post-8492-1152565873_thumb.jpg

First of all. Make sure you grab the cp by clocking on the back spline next to it. Then, according to your picture, pick "Select Spline" or use the hot key "," to do the same thing. I hope this helps :).

on pg 122 (Yeti book) it says in the Neck section to "click a control point on the back ring of the head. Pick [Edit][Complement Spline] to group just the back spline ring."

Complement spline is the same as invert selection or "." (EDIT: I think)

first hit , to select spline or use the lasso to select spline - then hit . to get the invert or complement

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin
Done...

...and well done too.

Another fine example of great single image storytelling from James Glover.

For some reason that image makes me think of the 'Far Side' comic panel.

All it needs is a witty tagline.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Admin

Mr. John Bailey!!!

I think you are the first EVER to animate that giraffe.** (and a fine looking giraffe he is too)

You sir deserve some kind of award.

**Disclaimer: I'm sure someone else has too but I can't remember and their's couldn't have been animated as well as yours.

• Admin

(A little cross pollenization with www.drawspace.com here)

If you really want to understand objects in 3D its a good idea to study them in pencil, pen, crayola, marker... any tool will do.

Once you understand what it is you want to build it becomes much easier for you.

Here then is a lesson from www.drawspace.com:

Lesson in Drawing a Giraffe

Disclaimer: This lesson is off site and not affiliated with Hash Inc.

For problems accessing the lessons visit www.drawspace.com.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Name: Al Dinelt

Exercise Completed: Exercise 11: Giraffe

Date Completed: October 7, 2006

Instructor: TAoA:M

Had something wonky happen when I was doing the copy/flip/attach portion of this exercise. After the process was done, I had lost most of my patches from the back end of the giraffe. The interconnecting splines between control points were gone. It didn't take too much to add the splines again and everything was okay afterwards.

Eleven down and nine to go... :D

[attachmentid=21186]

exercise00.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Name: Caroline Begbie

Exercise: Exercise 11 - Giraffe

Date Completed: 1st Nov 2006

[attachmentid=21891]

Mine's the one with knobbly knees and fat ankles. That was fun doing an alpha channel render and fitting it into a photo.

You are really getting quick!

Quick? I've spent all day trying to fit a round horn into a square patch. My family are making appointments to see me.... I guess I can make it up to them by taking their photo with a giraffe.

post-9673-1162379782_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Nice composition Caroline.

As Exercise 11 already has a .5 exercise (the Cooper modeling tutorial) there isn't room another there.

Maybe we should make a Ex 11.25 on compositing this guy into various backgrounds?

I love that you all are going the extra mile to give these 'characters' a home.

I have no doubt that the effort will pay off for you all later.

Keep up the great work everyone! :)

• Hash Fellow

Hey, those are some good looking giraffes in this thread!

[attachmentid=21891]

I looked at this pic and thought "the giraffe on the left has some sort of spline problem that's pinching his neck. And what a bad pose on his neck! oh wait... that's the real giraffe..."

I looked at this pic and thought "the giraffe on the left has some sort of spline problem that's pinching his neck. And what a bad pose on his neck! oh wait... that's the real giraffe..."

LOL, Robert, are you critiquing God's work now? LOL

• Admin

heheh

Caroline,

Looks like you can consider that a successful submission for Exercise 11. ;)

Okay... from now on giraffes need to be purple and pink or paisly textured to keep them distiguishable from the real thing. :P

(I want to echo Roberts praise... there are indeed some nice giraffes in this thread! Kudos to all.)

• 2 weeks later...

[attachmentid=22175]

Name: Joe Gamblin (Achilles Desire)

Exercise Completed: Exercise 11

Date Completed: Nov. 11, 2006

Instructor: None / Manual and Online Video tutorial

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: Sorry it's been so long but on October 17 my second son , Simon Lucas, was born and I've been busy changing diapers. Anyhoo, about the project, I had some real problems getting the decal to apply correctly (the five point patches around the legs would have holes and there were holes around the ears and head details) and finally had to flatten the model to get everything to attach correctly. Then there were problems with trying to get the color temp and saturation to match the photo, but that's really not part of the project. Plus the giraffe on the far right has some sort of spline problem that's pinching his neck. :P

post-7177-1163297292_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Everytime I do this tutorial it says that you should switch to the front view. There is no front view of the giraffe. Am I doing something wrong because I can't finish this tutorial if there is no front view. All I have is the side and top view of the giraffe.

The side view of the giraffe is the only rotoscope in this exercise. The top view is just for adding a decal at the end of the exercise.

When you switch to the front view, you don't need the rotoscope - you know what a giraffe looks like from the front, so you can make him fatter or thinner depending on how you want him to look. The side rotoscope gives you the difficult proportions. You should also be turning your model to look at it, and the rotoscope will not show then either.

This is a very long exercise that teaches you many things about modelling, so take your time, and you'll get there. :D

Name: Michael Fortunato

Exercises Completed: Eleven-Giraffe

Date Completed: Monday, January 16, 2007

Instructor: Das Book

Remarks/Suggestions for Improvement: I had to step away from this for a day or two and then come back to it. Attaching the legs, at first, was really difficult. But forcing myself to do it, really helped me to see in "3D". So that I could see when and where I needed to connect points. Switching back and forth between wireframe and shaded/wireframe was instrumental to finishing this project.

NOTE: I'm apparently on a sepia tone kick. First the fighter plane and now the giraffe. I didn't "age" this photo, though.

This program really is a joy to work with. I can't wait to finish these exercises and begin working on my own project.

- Michael

post-8824-1168930806_thumb.jpg

Name: Jeremiah M. Faries

Exercise Completed: #11: Giraffe

Date Completed: Jan 22, 2007

Remarks: Modeling is addictive. The book's instructions are very good, especially for the spatially complex task of attaching legs. Leaving us on our own to do the ears and horns was good pedagogy :). It was, more or less, a breeze except for two minor problems. First, copy-flip-attach failed because the spline wasn't perfectly aligned, but dabbling in 11.5 helped because it explained how to line up an entire spline. The other problem I had was applying the decals. I read somewhere about flattening an image so that the decal doesn't stretch as it rounds corners. I now see why. I didn't flatten the Giraffe, but I see that I should figure that out in the future. I had some trouble matching the top decal to the side, but the irregularity of the Giraffe' s spots help hide this.

post-5634-1169558586_thumb.jpg

I also noticed that the 5-point patches appear to have newton rings in the choreography and model window but they render fine. Is this typical?

post-5634-1169559008_thumb.jpg

• Admin

Jeremiah,

Thanks for the feedback on this one.

Going in reverse here:

I also noticed that the 5-point patches appear to have newton rings in the choreography and model window but they render fine. Is this typical?
I'd say this is typical but I don't recall it always being like that.

You have to watch 5 point patches closely and where possible I'd suggest keeping them small and as unobtrusive as possible. Where you can you can even hide them.

One thing to watch out for is inverted normals.

If your normals are inverted you'll see artifacts. (Not unlike the ones you are showing)

The book's instructions are very good, especially for the spatially complex task of attaching legs. Leaving us on our own to do the ears and horns was good pedagogy .

I echo your compliment. Hash Inc has put this exercise together really well. Especially considering all that spline work doesn't give up easily to being presented on paper. I have high hopes that we'll develop a video tutorial on our favorite giraffe fairly soon. Mostly what it will take is capturing screens while we build him.

Once the video is in place Exerise 11.5 would be the defacto challenge in organic modeling to master.

It was, more or less, a breeze except for two minor problems. First, copy-flip-attach failed because the spline wasn't perfectly aligned, but dabbling in 11.5 helped because it explained how to line up an entire spline.
You are right and hopefully we'll get the whole Copy/Flip/Attach nailed down for everybody.

It'll probably yield more than one page PDF but we'll investigate. The basic concept could fit on one page.

The other problem I had was applying the decals. I read somewhere about flattening an image so that the decal doesn't stretch as it rounds corners. I now see why. I didn't flatten the Giraffe, but I see that I should figure that out in the future. I had some trouble matching the top decal to the side, but the irregularity of the Giraffe' s spots help hide this

Sometimes its important to do things wrong (or not optimally) a few times.

That'll make the lessons sink in. That sounds like what is happening in your case.

Decaling is another area we can document as we investigate.

Again, thanks for the feedback on this one.

I hope everyone going through TaoA:M is taking good notes.

You'll see all this later on the test. :P

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael,

I still continue to be a fan of your sepia work.

For those interested in creating the effect in A:M investigate 'Post Effects'.

Great job!

Sometimes its important to do things wrong (or not optimally) a few times.

That'll make the lessons sink in.

Yes, I strongly believe in the value of "messing up"... something I'm actually quite good at.

And I'd also like to express my gratitude to Rodney and the several other folks (Caroline, Leo, Dhar, mfortunato) who routinely take the time to download these attempts and provide feedback and encouragement to those of us plowing through these exercises. You all are doing a good thing!

--jerry

• Admin
Yes, I strongly believe in the value of "messing up"... something I'm actually quite good at.

lol Moderation in all things there Jerry! :lol:

Aren't we fortunate to have an interest where the repercussions of messing up aren't very severe?

I echo the praise for those who take the time to provide feedback, suggestions and support along the way.

Some of the most rewarding times you'll have with A:M are when you are working with others.

When you are having as much fun as we are its hardly a job.

Still, it can be a lot of hard work and I recognize it takes part of everyone's valuable time.

I salute all here whose contributions (big or small) help our collective effort in mastering computer animation.

You more than anything are the reason I'm here.

As for me... I still come with the box.

Rodney

• 2 weeks later...