Hash, Inc. Forums

Jawin', Another Animated Puppet Parody

largento

Started working on my next puppet parody. I'm going to explore doing this as a shorter form (3-5 minutes.) It doesn't wear me out as much and theoretically, I could do three parodies in the time it took to do one.

The plan right now is to try to do 8 this year, each of them taking on what I consider a classic film.

I chose this one to be first.

13087050_10153538072278016_2887029317357545722_o.jpg

Started working on my next puppet parody. I'm going to explore doing this as a shorter form (3-5 minutes.) It doesn't wear me out as much and theoretically, I could do three parodies in the time it took to do one.

The plan right now is to try to do 8 this year, each of them taking on what I consider a classic film.

I chose this one to be first.

Damn! I need to get on the stick!

I'm looking forward to all of them.

Thanks, Gerald.

I'm using an AfterEffects plug-in that generates the water (and the bobbing camera). Obviously, with puppets I'm not looking for reality, but I wanted to find an easy way to deal with the water that wouldn't cost me lots of time tinkering and rendering. I'm just doing a phony reflection on the water by adding another layer of the animation and inverting it and adding a wave distortion to. Not perfect, but it looks better with it than without it.

For The Wobbling Dead, I'd asked Mark S. to help me rig a puppet arm with connecting rods. I ended up not using it because I was making so much use of props and moving the characters around on set pieces that I was running into tons of intersection problems and I frequently had the puppets full body, which made the rods seem like they were magically controlling themselves. I also wasn't quite knowledgable enough to make good use of them. I'm feeling more confident now and giving them another go. With this only being three minutes long, I can spend more time planning and making use of the space. The arms add a whole lot to animating the puppets, so I'm determined to get over my issues and make good use of them.

Love it!!!

Mark....Great job capturing Brody's likeness in puppet form. The glasses shape and style match it well too.

I was thinking Brody's hair was more black in the movie. But not sure it you were steering away from a direct

match. Either way....looks great!!