Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Broken motion blur?

Tore

• Hash Fellow

Cautions about non-multipass motion blur...

1) It's basically a post effect filter that approximates motion blur. It works well in situations where an object is moving linearly against a static background. Rotational motion and moving the entire camera around a pivot point are more complex than it can do well.

Supersampling (AKA Multipass) is there for those complex occassions and will give an accurate result. You do have to decide how many passes you need do to get a satisfactory blur.

2) Neither non-multipass motion blur nor non-multipass DOF work well against the default camera background color. They need a background that is solid patches.

Here is the non-multipass Motion Blur effect in v19e. It does not have the strange result that you got, but still is less than ideal. Render time about two minutes

testMB no MultiP BKG_000.mov

Here is multipass motion blur with 16 passes. This seems more appropriate. Render time about 11 minutes

testMB MultiP BKG_000.mov

I tried non-multipass DOF with an old test PRJ and it does not work in v19e. That would be a bug.

Are you using After Effects in your project? Or some other compositing app?

• ____ 1

• Hash Fellow

I'm still on AE from the year 2000 but there are good DOF plugins for modern AE that can take the depth map in an OpenEXR render and create convincing DOF effects in post.

Perhaps there is something like that for your compositing program.

However, good motion blur is still pretty much about multi-pass, even in studio settings.

I'll note that in a shot like this...

post-13038-0-32837500-1515551731.png

...DOF could be simulated by rendering the characters and background separately and selectively blurring some and not others.

• ____ 1

If you have access to a program like After Effects, I would consider creating that effect in Post Production. You

can render the frame slightly larger and use an After Effects plug in to move it like a shake/ Quake.

Do a search on google "How to get a shake effect in AE" and you should get a bunch of tutorials. I think the

Video Copilot site has a plugin for this. www.videocopilot.net

• ____ 1

• Hash Fellow

Just to try it, I rendered Tore's test project with no blur and added blur in post with After Effects "Directional Blur"

I manually keyframed the size and direction of the blur for each frame. This took longer than either of the rendered blurs. :rolleyes:

testMB AEDirectBlur_.mov

• ____ 1