Hash, Inc. Forums

designing a cello stool with A:M

• Hash Fellow

I'm thinking of making stool out of plywood that I can sit on when i practice on my porch. Regular chairs are too short and typically have a rear-ward slant that is uncomfortable.

It needs to be something cheap I can leave out there and not worry that it might disappear. I also want it to be adjustable.

I'm testing out ideas in A:M with simple shapes. I gave each piece a bone so i can rearrange them in Action 1 to see if I might be able to cut them all from one 2' x 4' piece of plywood.

CelloStoolWIP.JPG

Action 2 is a test of the geometry of a ratchet mechanism for the adjustable seat.

RatchetA000.mov

Much revision remains to be done, however

• *A:M User*

Do you have a way to make square cuts? This will be critical for a functional piece of furniture. If you don't have a circular saw, you may want to rent/borrow one. I don't think I'd want to try cutting plywood with a handsaw or even electric jigsaw, you could cut it quickly enough with an electric jigsaw but it would be difficult to get a perfectly straight edge.