6 replies to this topic

#1 RS3D

RS3D

Apprentice

• *A:M User*
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:31 AM

This is my second attempt at doing one of these types of animations.  The first one got so corrupted I gave up.

In this one, there will be 4 scenes:

1) Eddie rides horse in a open elevated / mountain area.

see horse5a for a very rough preliminary animation.

Attached File  horse5a.mov   396.95KB   20 downloads

2) Eddie rides horse descending into a narrow rocky trail where he should slow down.

3) Of course, he will not slow down and shoots off the trail which triggers a cartoon-type response by

the horse to get back on the trail and avoid disaster.

see horse6 for a very rough preliminary animation.

4) A final humorous scene, where the angry horse bucks Eddie off his back and kicks sand in his face, etc

I hope I can get some feedback for the following:

Is the horse gallop in horse5 animation believable?

Does the scene in horse6 animation convey the dangerous situation and allow for playing with the horse gallop

action to become a 'road runner' or other cartoon character's type actions to get back on the trail? Would a

different angle be better?

Attached Files

#2 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6687 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:26 PM

I hope I can get some feedback for the following:

Is the horse gallop in horse5 animation believable?

Yes, most definitely!

I think I'd add just a little secondary action on the part of the boy riding the horse to sell the effect of the horse's movement.

It wouldn't have to be much.  Just enough to convey that the boy is reacting to the movement of the horse.

Note that this is basically the principle of squash and stretch but it's enough for the bones of the boy to simply react.

I like!

Does the scene in horse6 animation convey the dangerous situation and allow for playing with the horse gallop

action to become a 'road runner' or other cartoon character's type actions to get back on the trail? Would a

different angle be better?

Yes, looks dangerous!

At first I was thinking that a lower angle looking upward might be better but in thinking more... no... I don't think so.

It has been said before that humorous scene setups often work best  if squared off (or horizontal) with the camera so you've found a good angle for that.

Perhaps best of all you've left plenty of space for the horse to pause and react to the situation.

I"m tempted to suggest a little camera movement (similar to your other video "horse5") so that the delay will be further emphasized.

The camera could be pulled in closer at the beginning and zoom out even as the horse is galloping off the cliff.

The camera then begins to track/follow the horse again after the horse has changed direction and motivates back toward the path.

Fun stuff.

More please!  :)

A good idea is a seed, not a solution
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#3 steve392

steve392

Animation:Master

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3195 posts
  • steve
  • East Anglia UK
  • Windows

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:42 AM

I agree the guy on the horse needs to move a little but looking good

I say what I like and like what I say

sometimes

#4 RS3D

RS3D

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 01:28 PM

Thanks to Rodney and steve392 for your input.

Attached is an update for the the 3rd scene on the cliff.  I hope this gives a little better idea of what I want to

accomplish.  There will be a lot of work to go through all the alignments of Eddie, the horse's reins and

the horse, and secondary animations for Eddie's hat and body positions.  If anyone sees opportunities for

improvement, please let me know.

Attached Files

#5 RS3D

RS3D

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 November 2017 - 12:55 PM

Attached is another update to the project.  This one is a roughed in animation of scene #4 where the angry horse throws Eddie off his back

after the close call in scene #3.  The white puffy spots are markers for action objects showing where dirt will be kicked up by the horse's

hooves in the final animation.

Attached Files

#6 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23527 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • other
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:08 PM

Attached is another update to the project.  This one is a roughed in animation of scene #4 where the angry horse throws Eddie off his back

after the close call in scene #3.  The white puffy spots are markers for action objects showing where dirt will be kicked up by the horse's

hooves in the final animation.

Here are some of my thoughts..

The general gallop loop looks promising but there's a hiccup in it.

Any dust kicked up by the horse would be left behind, not continue forward.

The cowboy looks like he's floating over the horse rather than riding on it.  That is a tough thing to make work. :o

A horse skidding to a halt would crouch lower and have the feet farther forward in front of his weight. Think of a "stubborn" mule resisting getting led somewhere.

the cowboy flung off the horse will pretty much follow a smooth arc until he lands. He will not halt in mid air and then fall vertically.

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CST

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#7 RS3D

RS3D

Apprentice

• PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

To Robcat2075, thanks for the excellent suggestions.  As usual, you have identified the things that need to be done to raise this scene to the next level.  Hopefully I can complete them all in my lifetime.

I have been most concerned about scene #3 because the extreme action poses are what will make this into a cartoon action sequence.  Attached is an update to scene 3 with some changes to  smooth out

the actions.  I also added some sound effects to ramp up the actions.  I am going to have to look into a sound editing program in order to make these effects work correctly.  Can anyone recommend a 

sound editing program?  Once again, like in scene 4, the white puffs are just action object place holders, in this case they will probably be rocks falling off the side of the cliff as I get closer to the final rendering stage.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users