Hash, Inc. Forums

Mixamo free rigging service

http://youtu.be/3xklaT-gJNM

Joe McPeek demos the ease of use and wonderful end-product of Mixamo.com's free rigging service. The end result, as demo'ed is an incredibly flexible ready-to-animate character.

But I don't think the bones and weights and constraints would transfer over into A:M's unique language. Also- I don't think the end result provides any traditional animators 'handles' for hand key-frame animating. Instead, this setup is ideal for BVH motion captured actions, which gamers are ga-ga for, apparently. Anyways, it is a quick video... a good insight to see what the world of rigging has been evolving into, and what I consider a 'dream' rigging utility.

CORRESPONDENCE:

Hi Mixamo support! Thanks for the follow-up.

NO. I was not able to get my rigged character from Mixamo into my 3D application, which is Animation:Master by Hash Inc. If you were to offer an export to the Hash .mdl file format, you would become GOLDEN in the Animation:Master community! The SDK for the software is available via jason@hash.com

-Matt Campbell

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 5:55 PM, wrote:

Hi matt,

How are you?

I saw that you uploaded and successfully mapped your BUNNY7 character on your Mixamo account, congratulations!

Were you able to download the animation and bring it back into your 3d software?

Please let me know if you need any help, our support extends to almost every software package/game engine.

Thanks!

Have a great day!

Mixamo Character Support

Mixamo Character Support

support@mixamo.com

www.mixamo.com

• Hash Fellow

Ideally, you want to somehow get from Mixamo...

-a list of bones it created. This is probably findable in in some text format they export.

-the start position, end position and z rotation of each bone. This is probably findable in in some text format they export.

-a hierachy of the bones. This is probably findable in in some text format they export.

With the above you could create a program like TSM2 that recreates bones in an A:M model based on a list and some known start and end points.

However we still need to attach the CPS to these new bones, so we also need...

-for every Mixamo model vertice (CPs we call them), some explanation of how much it is weighted to what bone(s)

The last one must be findable too, but... There is no likelihood that their export format names or lists its vertices in the same manner or order as A:M does for its CPs making it difficult to assign the weights that Mixamo creates back to the original A:M model, which is what you want to do to preserve the original A:M model's decaling and spline continuity.

The Transfer_AW plugin is able to transfer weights from one mesh to another by comparing the proximity of points in XYZ space. If you could import at least a point cloud from Mixamo that had all of the points weighted to bones, then some thing LIKE Transfer_AW could weight the A:M model CPS based on that.

Of course this is just the geometry bones. You would still need to add your constraints, but once you knew the convention of what Mixamo creates you could make an Action that does that.

It is doable, but someone who knows a lot about the Export formats Mixamo supports would need to be engaged.