Hash, Inc. Forums

Shotcut - Video Editor and more...

Rodney

• Admin

I saw this software mentioned recently and haven't investigated it very deeply but sense that it may be well worth considering...

Edit: For a number of reasons, Shotcut is getting my recommendation. So, go get it!
And yes, it can convert to .MOV format (as well as just about any other format including animated GIF)

Shotcut is a free, open source, cross-platform video editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. Major features include support for a wide range of formats; no import required meaning native timeline editing; Blackmagic Design support for input and preview monitoring; and resolution support to 4k.

Basic Features

• Support for the latest audio and video formats thanks to FFMPEG
  • Supports popular image formats such as BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, SVG, TGA, TIFF as well as image sequences
  • No import required - native timeline editing
  • Frame-accurate seeking for many formats
  • Multi-format timeline: mix and match resolutions and frame rates within a project
  • Screen capture including background capture to capture a Shotcut session
  • Webcam capture
  • Audio capture
  • Support for 4K resolutions
  • Network stream playback (HTTP, HLS, RTMP, RTSP, MMS, UDP)
  • Frei0r video generator plugins (e.g. color bars and plasma)

Audio Features

• Audio scopes: loudness, peak meter, waveform, spectrum analyzer
  • Volume control
  • Audio filters:
    Balance, Bass & Treble, Band Pass, Compressor, Copy Channel, Delay, Downmix, Expander, Gain, High Pass, Limiter, Low Pass, Normlize: One Pass, Normalize: Two Pass, Notch, Pan, Reverb, Swap Channels
  • Audio mixing across all tracks
  • Fade in and out audio and fade video from and to black with easy-to-use fader controls on timeline
  • Cross-fade audio and video dissolve transitions easily by overlapping shots on the same track of the timeline
  • JACK transport sync

Cross Platform & Codec Independent

• Cross platform support: available on Windows, Linux and MacOS
  • Codec independent so does not rely on system codecs
  • Can run as a portable app from external drive
  • UI translations: Catalan, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Polish, Portugese, Russian, Slovak, Spanish
  • Batch encoding with job control
  • Encode/transcode to a variety of formats and codecs thanks to FFmpeg (or libav as-built)
  • Stream (encode to IP) files and any capture source
  • Video quality measurement (PSNR and SSIM)

Display and Monitoring

• External monitoring via Blackmagic Decklink card on NTSC monitor
  • External monitoring on an extra system display/monitor
  • UI themes/skins: native-OS look and custom dark and light
  • Control video zoom in the player: fit viewable area (default), 50%, original (100%), and 200%
  • Flexible UI through dock-able panels
  • Detailed media properties panel
  • Recent files panel with search
  • Thumbnail and waveform caching between sessions

Hardware Support

• Blackmagic Design SDI and HDMI for input and preview monitoring
  • Leap Motion for jog/shuttle control
  • Webcam capture
  • Audio capture to system audio card
  • Capture (record) SDI, HDMI, webcam (V4L2), JACK audio, PulseAudio, IP stream, X11 screen, and Windows DirectShow devices
  • Multi-core parallel image processing (when not using GPU and frame-dropping is disabled)
  • DeckLink SDI keyer output
  • OpenGL GPU-based image processing with 16-bit floating point linear per color component

The Link: https://shotcut.org/

Disclaimer: Some of the interface is not intially intuitive. For example it took me a little while to figure out how to import an image sequence.
This option can be found in the Properties panel. Also, Shotcut is yet another application (like A:M) where Right Clicking is your friend.

Thanks Rodney for the heads up on this editing software, it has the basics one would need. Alpha channel and green screen tools work pretty well.

Still messing with it, have not tried an image sequence yet but will be next on the to do list.

No Mel ware or adds were loaded so that's a good thing, no catch yet.Free but with a limited set of plug in's enough to do most thing's the catch I guess is if you want more plug in's you will have to donate $5 to join the forum's which will give access to more stuff I'm guessing

Like Rodney said right clicking is your friend :)

Worth checking out... can it convert to SWF or FLV? Lately, I have had a LOT of requests for that... die Flash...DIE! Online video ads you might see on HULU, Pandora, Words with Friends or Facebook use services like Captha or Solve Media who use obscure Flash video formats and even require you submit to them your CS6 FLA file... which is preposterous nowadays.

To convert to FLV I found a little utility called movavi that does a swift job.

• Admin
can it convert to SWF or FLV?

It has those formats listed but I haven't attempted an export yet in those formats.

One issue with those formats might be that some data would very likely be lost (i.e. if there are any interactive elements in the file).

I think that'd be a long shot but on the other hand some of those elements might be preserved because Shotcut can export out to HTML5 animation.

Much will depend on the format targeted for export.

Edit: When I export to .flv it completes the conversion but when I export to .swf it errors out.

Not sure what the deal might be with .swf not working.