Hash, Inc. Forums

Bullet Rigid Body

I'm experimenting with the bullet rigid body constraint. Nothing fancy, just a simple puzzle piece falling from the top of the chor to the ground plane, a bounce or three then stop. I intend on using this as part of a power point presentation I am putting together for work (the slide is "Pieces of the Puzzle").

What I am stymied on is keeping the puzzle pieces from penetrating the ground plane. I want the pieces to hit, bounce then wind up laying flat, but short of adjusting individual channels after the fact I don't see the magic setting to get that to happen.

test.avi

Project1.prj

It looks like some are working- some not. I haven't played with Bullet- but usually you need to make sure your axis point is pretty centered on each puzzle piece. Also- are you working with a floor that has an increased mesh density?

• Admin

Yes, Matt's suggestion to create a denser ground plane should work.

I took your project, added a 100x100 grid to the ground model (rotating it so that I could see it better), removed simulation data and then launched Bullet.

Everything appears to work as required.

Attached image is of final resting of puzzle pieces using your Project just with an additional grid added to the Ground model.

denser.png

• Admin

Here's a run with the ground plane having a big hole pushed out of it (and using a hull).

Lest you think I simulated with the characters present... I cheated.

I simulated with cubes like the purple one in the shot and then swapped out their shortcuts for the characters.

There were a few pass throughs of arms and such so I just rotated the models slightly to alleviate that.

I added a tile image to the ground/grid to show the density I used... I don't think we need that dense a mesh but... that's what I used.

Bullet.png

bullet.gif

I did the same as Rodney with a denser grid and it simulated as I wanted. The pieces did a little mexican jumping bean routine at the end, but that was a simple enough fix of whacking the trailing keyframes.