Hash, Inc. Forums

bus stop wip

TheSpleen

"500 Internal Server Error

A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation.

If you see them, show them this:"

well?

Did ya show em?

oh you know how it is: the blind one bit me, the deaf one ate the document while the mute one made rude finger gestures.

*sigh*

seriously though, maybe someone should take a peek at that link?

• Admin
Rodney wrote regarding using fart jokes: "Better to understand how the anticipatory build up of the sequence led to an expected outcome but the presentation of a different result caught the audience off guard" ....

If that doesn't perfectly describe what a fart is then I don't know what else could ...

Ah but you left out quoting the most important part!

Pay attention now!

Better to understand how the anticipatory build up of the sequence led to an expected outcome but the presentation of a different result caught the audience off guard, then reset the scene for a different joke.

The fart joke is a cop out... but in a pinch it'll always get the job done.

Example: Nancy (err.... I mean... Nancy's take on Mrs. Yoop!)

The joke works in the Mrs. Yoop sequence on two levels:

1. When unexpected... fart jokes always work (They usually work when expected too)

2. Physical humor... the physical movement of the character naturally could account for the joke. (i.e. it was a logical moment that Mrs. Yoop could squeezed one out.)

I thought for quite awhile about the whys and wherefores of what did and didn't make Nancy's scene work.

In the end I found that the addition (while side-splittingly funny) didn't work.

Proof 1: A very long time ago I didn't know my youngest daughter was watching as I viewed Mrs. Yoop's dance and her response to seeing the sequence wasn't laughter but rather repulsion. At first she thought the sequence was interesting if not a bit odd. The look on her face after the finale however was worthy of taking note. I was curious to understand why (for her) the joke that never fails didn't work.

Upon posting my response here about toilet humor I started asking asking myself what other options there were.

I'm sure there are other solutions but my thoughts fell upon another ending that would also have an attachment to physical humor; instead of the fart Mrs. Yoop's weight would have her crash through the floor.

Proof 2: This would provoke the same degree of laughter without the toilet humor.

Now, lest anyone think I'm suggesting this solution as a better gag or proper laughter provoking cue it's not. But it is a potential Proof 3 to my point. When a fart joke will work... reset the scene for a different (i.e. better) joke.