Photo

A:M Forum... EU compatibility?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 robcat2075

robcat2075

persistent smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24048 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • current
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:11 AM

I have noticed some user forums needing to update their privacy policy to stay within new EU law (effective May 25?)

AFAIK this forum doesn't collect much information but it does collect some.  Perhaps some basic statement with a permanent link would satisfy the requirements?

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#2 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6975 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

You may need to send a message directly to Jason for something like that.

Any statement purporting to lay claims to meeting the specific requirements of a law must be careful not to make matters worse by establishing a rule that might inadvertently be broken.

If it is up to me I'd likely stick to the current advisement and disclaimers that apply to those who agree to be a member of the forum.

Those that do not want to be a member are under no obligation to join and are encouraged to visit the forum as guests.

Sharing of private information is at the discretion of the forum member and they should not provide any information under duress and any such activity should immediately be reported to forum adminstration.

Members of the A:M forum fall into jurisdiction of US law except where otherwise specifically stated and acknowledged. 

As for any right to be forgotten, if that is a concern, it is a fairly simple process to be removed from the forum.

For the sake of discussion it might be useful to see a few examples of privacy policies recently published and especially those that purport to address the concerns of EU law. 

"Animation is 90 percent hard work.  The other half is entirely mental!"
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#3 robcat2075

robcat2075

persistent smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24048 posts
  • Robert Holmén
  • *Moderator*
  • Dallas, Texas
  • current
  • Windows
  • Programmer:NO

Posted 22 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

Google is an American company with American users but they have had to promote a new privacy policy on sites they operate like blogger.com that has international users, none-the-less.

Here's the email I got today from MuseScore, an open source music program with a user forum...

Changes to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service On May 25, 2018, we're updating our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service. You can get a preview of these updates before they go live. If you keep using MuseScore after May 25, you're letting us know that you're okay with the updates.

What's changing? We're adding more detail about how and why we use the information we collect about you, how we share it, who we share it with, and your rights with that data.

Why are you making these updates? There are some new European privacy rules that will apply across Europe on May 25 We're using this opportunity to make sure we're really clear on how we use your information— regardless of where you live.

Does this affect the way I use MuseScore? Not at all — your MuseScore experience will stay the same. 

What if I'm not okay with the changes? If you're not okay with the changes, you can close your account. But before you do that, please get in touch with us so we can answer any questions you have. Remember, if you keeping using MuseScore after May 25, 2018, you're letting us know that you're okay with these updates.

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#4 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • 6975 posts
  • Rodney Baker
  • *Admin*
  • Illinois (not Japan)
  • subscriber
  • Windows

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

For reference, Here's the current Privacy Policy that is linked on the login page:

Privacy Policy
Your privacy is important to us. To better protect your privacy we provide this notice explaining our online information practices and the choices you can make about the way your information is collected and used. To make this notice easy to find, we make it available in our footer and at every point where personally identifiable information may be requested.

Log files are maintained and analysed of all requests for files on this website's web servers. Log files do not capture personal information but do capture the user's IP address, which is automatically recognised by our web servers.

Our Commitment to Children's Privacy
Protecting the privacy of the very young is especially important. For that reason, we never collect or maintain information at our website from those we actually know are under 13, and no part of our website is structured to attract anyone under 13.

Cookies
This website does not store any information that would, on its own, allow us to identify individual users of this service without their permission. Any cookies that may be used by this website are used either solely on a per session basis or to maintain user preferences. Cookies are not shared with any third parties.

"Animation is 90 percent hard work.  The other half is entirely mental!"
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#5 Fuchur

Fuchur

PatchWorker

• Hash Fellow
  • 5006 posts
  • Gerald Zum Gahr
  • Karlsruhe, Germany
  • current
  • Windows

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:26 PM

In general that is not enough for EU-GDPR (EU-DGSVO). I am quite heavily into that currently to update a lot of customer webpages at work.

If you are really interested in that, please have a look at this:

https://gdpr-info.eu/

This one for instance is a valid one:

https://www.acandis....rotection-39-en

The good thing is: Most data on this forum is not mandatory and as long as that is the case, there is not much to worry about.

If it is mandatory, it is getting tricky... you need to have a justified interest in getting the information. That means: If you are asking for instance for a telephone no. and an email address and both are mandatory you really need a good reason for it and so on...

Best regards

*Fuchur*

"I know, that I don't know."
See my projects, tutorials, reviews and join the German Animation:Master-Community at
www.PatchWork3d.de

Name: Gerald Zum Gahr, alias Fuchur
What stands "Fuchur" for?

Do want to see my favorite A:M-images?
Best of A:M collected by Gerald Zum Gahr

Searching for a *.X-Exporter(DirectX) or a *.dts-Exporter(Torque) for A:M?
Exporter Page

And how can I export to *.FBX-files or other 3d- / game-engines?
FBX-Pipeline to Unity3d / DirectX-Pipeline to Quest3d

Need more converters? *.obj OBJ), *.lwo , *.act or *.dxf ?
Arthur Walaseks' Exporters

Searching for great and free plugins?
www.sgross.com by Steffen Gross

You are searching for tutorials? More video- and text-tutorials can be found here:
Tutorial section of PW3d

You want to make your own video tutorial?
Recommended Tools and Step By Step Instructions

"R M B" stands for "Right Mouse Button"!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users