Hash, Inc. Forums

Variations on a Paper Toon

NancyGormezano

I've been doodling again with "paper dolls" and experimenting with a variety of ways to render "flat" characters, to sorta get a "scribbly" look.

To document for myself (and hopefully others will find some seed to use), here are some of the variations on my Paper Man character - seen in this first image. I think I still like this render style best for these characters - but it was worth it to experiment for possible variations some other time

10AfricanKlimt3flareorangecloudhairgold.jpg

Here are some variations. All with 1 klieg (sometimes white, or orange), zbuffered shadows 60% dark, 1% soft, and global Ambiance - either color or IBL. Ground is front projected, flatshaded.

01examples.jpg

02examples.jpg

03examples.jpg

04examples.jpg

05examples.jpg

06examples.jpg

07examples.jpg

08examples.jpg

09examples.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

• Admin

Crazy stuff Nancy! Fascinating styles!

Just when I start to think 'that one is my favorite' I see something in another to like even more.

(Right now I'm keen on that last one but that's because it's the last one I looked at) :P

• ____ 1

Thanks Simon, Steve, Stephane, Rodney, John

And especially Stefff285 (welcome Stephane! - hope you stick around and ask many questions) - it was your recent (2 days ago) posting that started me investigating - after looking at your 2D works, and investigating the grease pencil feature in Blender (mentioned by Nemyax in your thread) .

A:M doesn't have something quite like grease pencil - ie drawing 2D with pencil like strokes in real-time, but one might animate 2D flat facial features perhaps by a combo decaling/rendering method

More testing ..All previous above rendering tests were done in 16b/32, not using any post effects.

This time trying out post effects available using opengl3 (Nvidia GPU effects?), in ver 18g/64. Testing inspired by Rodney's thread here

Can't say I'm a fan of using any of these GPU post effects , would prefer to have more control via decals, materials, lighting....But here are my results of post effecting (original image seen here) in case anyone is curious

Have just downloaded 18l to see what else might be new

01Sobel.jpg

02Prewitt.jpg

03Laplacian.jpg

04Eroded.jpg

05Dilate.jpg

06Sharpen.jpg

07sepia.jpg

08Grayscale.jpg