Hash, Inc. Forums

Freezing in screen render lock mode

R Reynolds

This thread began here ( https://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=48030&hl= ) but I didn't want to hijack Marcos' topic. I was complaining about the a lock mode screen render freezing up with the Win10 busy icon spinning uselessly in front of me with no way to interrupt the process. Gerald suggested;

Press Esc or click again on the render icon. That should do the trick in 9 of 10 times, but sometimes you need to let it render on.

Not in my case, other than waiting for the "non-render" to finish it can only be interrupted by killing A:M in the Task Manager. This behaviour started with v18 and seems to be related to the new feature of storing the screen image of a high patch count model into a memory buffer.

Start with only A:M running on the computer and I want to screen render the street car in a .cho file. I outline the rectangle I want to render and the result after the first pass is this;

screen_render_lock _01.jpg

This works perfectly and can be stopped at any time by hitting Esc.

Now I open up another program (I've tried Edge, Firefox and PSPro) full screen then switch back to the .cho file. Outline the same rectangle and the after a few seconds the result is this;

screen_render_lock _02.jpg

The render freezes and the Win10 busy icon starts spinning and will continue to spin (unless I kill A:M in Task Manager) until enough time has passed for all five passes to be completed. After which the wire frame is displayed. Now if I hit the spacebar the render proceeds and responds to Esc as usual.

One way I've found to kind of sidestep this issue is to start with smaller outlined render rectangles. If I start with smaller ones; they render nicely and can be escaped. At a certain size

screen_render_lock _03.jpg

the render locks up but it takes less time to "finish" the five passes. Once enough memory has been grabbed by A:M I can do a complete screen render with no issues.

I've found that it's also dependent on the patch count of the model. If it's something simple like this seat frame;

screen_render_lock _04.jpg

I can jump back and forth between other programs at will with no problems.

But if I switch to the .cho file and try to do the entire street car, full screen, I get this;

screen_render_lock _05.jpg

Once again I'm locked up.

Personally, if putting the screen image into a memory buffer was a selectable feature, I'd turn it off most of the time. Changing views while modeling and having a previous view show up while I surround it with the mouse window is just too disconcerting for this old dog who hates learning new tricks.

Updated driver?

At your suggestion Matt, I did update the Nvidia driver. No change.

Have you tried different settings within A:M for Open GL?

In the OpenGl menu I have eleven extensions checked but they are all greyed out so I can't uncheck them.

Could this be a limitation of your graphics card?

I doubt it because A:M screen renders worked flawlessly until the switch to Win10, at which point this issue started. And to prove this I opened the same project in v17 & v16 (which never did this under Win7) and they performed the same. So it's a Win10 thing; meaning I better get used to it.