Hash, Inc. Forums

Exam Room

itsjustme

• 2 weeks later...

I modeled a stool and trash can, changed the floor out with one that is geometry instead of a map, re-modeled the cabinet to be separate boards and tweaked the materials. I still have a couple of things to model and some lighting to deal with...and maybe a little more tweaking.

exam_room_03_27_2015a.png

exam_room_03_27_2015b.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

NIce detail! And (as always) very impressive modeling!

I note that even the electric outlet is in the (proper) upside down smiley face orientation.

(I've always wondered if designers didn't do that more to dissuade children from being too friendly with those guys)

• 3 weeks later...

I added an ophthalmoscope and otoscope. The room is still sparse, but I think it will be enough for what I'm doing.

-------------------------

EDIT

-------------------------

I resized the ophthalmoscope and otoscope after seeing what they looked like with Bertram in the scene for reference.

exam_room_tools_04_29_2015a.png

exam_room_tools_04_29_2015b.png

exam_room_tools_04_29_2015c.png

exam_room_tols_04_29_2015d.png

Bertram looks a bit kid-sized there. Tiny even.

Perhaps it's mostly due to the angle of him in the image.

I'm mainly judging this by the door/doorknob but also the examination bench/seat.

Good catch, Rodney! I'll resize and re-render.

For what it's worth I think if you decal a couple of medical looking posters and charts onto the walls it'll make the scene look more complete. I think that's why the room might feel a bit sparse.

I've thought about that, but, most of the stock images I've looked at don't have much on the walls...maybe a diploma or something. Here are some reference images: http://www.gettyimages.com/creative/examination-room-stock-photos

I'm thinking of the exam room as one of many at a clinic, so multiple doctors could use this room...which would mean no individual diplomas. Also, the lack of things on the walls will reduce the chance of bad tangents.

Here is the room again with Bertram at about six feet tall. I got so concerned with other things, I didn't notice an obvious problem. Thanks again, Rodney!

I'm still dinking with the lighting...now I'm going to finish and rig Bertram, then I have to model the doctor.

exam_room_04_30_2015.png

Fair point, I s'pose sparse could also be interpreted as 'clean' from a medical stand point.

Also this picture in with the regular stock medical room images. Out of place much...

149790968.jpg?v=1&g=fs1%7C0%7CCSC%7C90%7

LOL! I don't know what they do at THAT clinic, but I'll bet it's expensive.

• 5 months later...

Here are a couple of test renders of the exam room. The first render is a standard workflow and the second is using a linear workflow. The lighting, render settings, etc are exactly the same, but the texture colors, material colors and light colors were adjusted for a gamma of 1.0 in the linear workflow image (which was rendered as an OpenEXR and then saved as a PNG). The next experiment will be to do some tone mapping to try to tweak it a little better, but using a linear workflow is already a big improvement.

exam_room_09_30_2015.png

exam_room_linear_09_30_2015.png

I put together a chart to convert colors for a linear workflow to make the process quicker. I'll post it here in case it might help someone else. The equation used is (sRGB/255)^2.2*255, I rounded the number down if it was below 0.5 and rounded up if it was above 0.5.

What I'm doing is changing all material colors (not colors for bump and displacement) and all light colors to a color for linear (the chart lists the conversions), converting all color maps (not bump or displacement maps) using Krita (https://krita.org/download/krita-desktop/) to a 16bit float EXR with an "AllColorsRGB-elle-V4-g10.icc" profile and rendering as usual with gamma set to "none" as an OpenEXR with Zip compression. Then, any Tone Mapping can be done with a program like "Luminance HDR" (http://sourceforge.net/projects/qtpfsgui/) which is free or "Photomatix" (http://www.hdrsoft.com/download.html) which is not free and convert the image using Krita to an 8bit format like PNG.

Hope that helps someone.

-------------------------------------

EDIT

After some reading and experimenting, I'm thinking about bypassing the Tone Mapping software and just making adjustments in Krita.

EDIT

Now I'm leaning toward using some Tone Mapping software...I'll do some experimenting.

linearization.pdf

Enjoying where this is going. Would love to see what my Chromium.mat would look like on props like your chair and metal objects like the doorhandle... I just uploaded it and it's maps in the Contributors Cue with my Skull model. I am reading your PDF on linearization... hmmm!

You could adjust the 'additive' brightness for brighter brights in the Chromium mat.

I've been working on the lighting and desaturating the material colors...still a lot of experimentation to do there. I'll mess with the Chromium material once I get the light nailed down.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a test I did a few days ago, but the light isn't inside the light fixture at this point...I'm still working on that. The lighting will end up looking slightly different if all goes well. I'm posting this just to show some of the current material tweaks...still a lot to do, but I think it's getting better. I've been learning quite a bit, hopefully it will show in the final version...we'll see.

exam_room_10_17_2015.png

• clap 1

A lot more tweaking of materials, lighting and such. I changed the door frame and baseboard color, adjusted the door and cabinet wood materials, put the light inside of the light fixture, tweaked the lighting and added a wall material. Here are some quick renders of where it stands at the moment. The AA and shadows will get better when I increase the passes, these are 9 pass renders (3x3), and I'm thinking the final image size will be at least 1920x1080 (we'll see what my patience will allow). Once I get further along, I'll work out what post processing will help. For now, I've got some work to do on the Squetch Rig, then some work on Bertram.

exam_room_10_22_2015.png

exam_room_opposite_10_22_2015.png

exam_room_door_10_22_2015.png

exam_room_sink_10_22_2015.png

• Like 1

• 8 years later...