Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Typical Male/Female Project

OdinsEye2k

Hey everyone,

A while ago, I mentioned that I was working on a pair of base meshes for my own projects, and that I also would be willing to share with the community at large.

I have a full body finished now, but there is still a lot of tweakage to be done. I've been looking at this for a while now, so I was hoping to get some fresh perspective other than the random references I've cobbled together.

Please visit the page and let me know what you think and what features you think would be useful in a basic mesh of this type (in terms of being able to stretch/shrink parts of the body, change levels of musculature, whatever).

-Edit: Still graphics heavy, but the initial load has been reduced by a factor of 2 or 3.

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg724n/common.html

Thanks in advance,

Bjorn

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You weren't kidding about image heavy. If the subject was broken down into parts you could categorize images across multiple pages. Perhaps using a half body image with frames as your menu system would make it easier to manage and download the content.

I wish I knew more about the Flash SWF system. The Camtasia software is a bit expensive for hobby use, but it would handle this project with ease and amazing efficientcy.

Feet: Hmm.. Think about this appendage and approach it as you would a hand model. After all, it's basically the same with the exception of function and scale.

At first, I thought that was kind of crazy, Iham, but thinking on it for a while, I guess there really is nothing mystical about that 90-degree turn.

I also like the Imagemap idea to pop up various parts - I think I'll try and use it for current and future postings. It'll probably be a while before I can get this going though - I'm at lab all day today :P

Hey, you have the rest of your life to do this. Too! It's difficult to change gears while going ninety to nothing. :) There is a lot to think about when building webpages. Html, frames, links, scaling, java bots and all that garbage takes time to learn. Do all of this html thinking in your sleep and stay healthy. :)

Well, it's no java_bot, but I did compress the image load down a bit by offering links from the overall pictures to the close-ups.

And I can't do HTML in my sleep - that space is reserved for the non-constrained optimizer I have to write in Matlab this week ;)

Hey OdinsEye2k, that looks pretty good. I am working on a similar thing at the mo so I know how difficult it can be.

Things that I noticed:

You are missing the little muscle lines that go at the corners of the mouth which are due to the Orbicularis. I think that you could probably get these just by pulling your existing mesh around but it is hard to se from the res of the images.

The butt is a little lacking in definition but again, this could be achieved by tweeking what you have already.

The belly button and the trouser snake are obviously missing. I guess that you just aren't planning on including them.

The spine spline could do with pulling in, or the splines to the side of it pulling out. At the moment his back looks a little flat.

The only other thing that I can find is that the shape of the thumb is a little off. He seems to be missing the meat of that goes between the thumb and the rest of the hand.

That is about as much as I think I can find. There doesn't seem to be much that you real need to add rather than just pull around and I guess that is the main thing.

Nice model though. My favorite bit is the arm - you have done a really neat job of putting the muscles and bones in.

Thanks for the comments so far, everyone. I've tried to incorporate all of what I have heard so far. There are new updates - plus a current revision of the model itself on my site. It is currently undergoing some basic rigging to check out how well it will animate.

I must say, it's looking pretty good - little smartskin will be needed thanks to the rigging setup.

So, please, check this out:

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gtg724n/common.html

And pass me back some feedback. I really would like to finish nailing down this "base mesh" with well-defined muscle structure so that I can start building the deformer poses. More or less shrink/scale the various components and proportions at the bone level, and then another set at the mesh level to deal with flabbiness/skinnier/bulkier limbs.

Oh - almost forgot to mention - the face itself is not a point of this mesh (unless it is lacking in the spline definitions needed for altering) - it is mostly a blank slate from which folks can do their own deformations. I will leave it unposed and undeformed to allow for more unique characters.

Thanks all - I'm hoping the actual model will provoke a little bit more criticism/critique.