Photo

Dorothy of Oz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 zandoriastudios

zandoriastudios

AM:Expert

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3942 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:18 AM

http://www.collider....kelsey-grammer/
Posted Image

Thought this was interesting...

Will Sutton

Zandoria Studios

#2 KenH

KenH

Blind Lord of all he sees.

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

Wow! Hey this is our territory. ;) Pretty good cast.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models
Get your AM problems fixed at AM:Reports

#3 fae_alba

fae_alba

Pappa Bear

• Papa Bear Studios
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

Man, they've got some serious talent on that project!

Paul V Harris
visit my new blog!
http://wandererswood.com/

#4 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

And there's going to be a live action prequel called Oz: The Great and Powerful starring Robert Downey Jr. Oz will be everywhere is a couple of years!
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#5 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:14 AM

Looks beautiful to me with the little that is revealed (fantastic, appealing vibrant colors in the landscape!). Character sketches look interesting and familiar, not to the original book illustrations but to warm fuzzy old time disneyesque type drawings. Sounds like it will have plenty of humor, with accomplished well known, beloved comedic voice actors, as well as a great sound track. And in stereoscopic 3D. Looks like these guys did their research, and have oodles of MONEY. Probably will attract the nostalgic old generation (fastest growing population), as well as a new, young (under 10-12) generation. Not sure how it will play to those in-between generations, except for the appeal of 3D. It might (but I doubt) also have some edginess, snarkyiness - but I don't see much evidence of that so far (other than the actors - Short and Akroyd). It looks sweet in a syrupy but yummy, fun way.

#6 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

Oz will be everywhere is a couple of years!

And has the potential for attracting the kiddies to TWO, SO, MLO who just can't get enough vitamin O in their diet.

#7 MJL

MJL

Prolific

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:19 AM

And has the potential for attracting the kiddies to TWO, SO, MLO who just can't get enough vitamin O in their diet.

MLO?
some people see only with their eyes.

#8 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

MLO = Marvelous Land of Oz

#9 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

Good luck with that. I'm all Ozzed out.
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#10 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

Good luck with that. I'm all Ozzed out.

Perhaps I'm misinformed & have misinformed ... wouldn't be the first time, ya know. uh yup.

I am not surprised to hear that people would be feeling Ozzifried.

Rumors are there is something less Ooozey on the horizon.

#11 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

Rumors are there is something less Ooozey on the horizon.

I've always wanted to see a 3D horror. Something like that would be the perfect Oz antidote ;). Though time is getting tighter these days.
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#12 robcat2075

robcat2075

persistent smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24049 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

I'm of the opinion that the 1939 "Wizard of Oz" is so firmly established in people's minds that you can't make a successful Oz film with a Dorothy in it without Judy Garland. And I hear she is pretty much retired.

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#13 Rodney

Rodney

A:M Bot 14309

• Admin
  • 6975 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

Looks like folks are realizing there is still a lot of potential in the Oz stories. The continued success in the theater of 'Wicked' and other Oz franchizes confirms it's staying power. I agree that whomever takes it on needs to sufficiently break away from the MGM paradym. As far as the 'Marvelous Land of Oz' or whatever project materializes, I hope we can spend some extra time in preproduction to get the design and story elements syncronized. In preproduction there is a lot of gold to mine.
"Animation is 90 percent hard work.  The other half is entirely mental!"
See my effort to think about the art of animation at: My Blog
Want to learn A:M? Start TaoA:M

#14 mtpeak2

mtpeak2

Not a Master

• Film
  • 5767 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:48 PM

That is definitely an interesting picture to try a duplicate (to a point using the assets used in TWO and SO) in A:M. The only thing needed would be the gate, for the most part, which Myron should be able to handle. But, like Ken, Ozzed out.
2008 Rig updated 04/20/2011

#15 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

I'm of the opinion that the 1939 "Wizard of Oz" is so firmly established in people's minds that you can't make a successful Oz film with a Dorothy in it without Judy Garland.

And I hear she is pretty much retired.

Wouldn't be hard to resurrect La Judy with CG. Although I don't think that would fly either.

Unless, of course one were making Ken's 3D horror flick: Zombies of Oz

#16 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

Unless, of course one were making Ken's 3D horror flick: Zombies of Oz

Hmmmm...
Night of the Living Oz?
Oz Chainsaw Massacre?
The Ozzercist?
Curse of Oz?
The Oz that Wouldn't Die?

but my personal favorite would be ... Chainsaw Bimbos from Oz :D

#17 Darkwing

Darkwing

"In danger of getting things done"

• A:M User
  • 2627 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

could always make the sci-fi epic known as Earth-Link Zero.....no.....ok, I'll go back to my box :P Actually, that reminds me, gotta post some ELZ news

#18 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:06 AM

Ooo! Zombie munchkins! How cool! Dorothy needs some ruby red brains to get home. :D Or Dorothy thinks a zombie is a scarecrow and she's all sweetness and light....."Come on Scarecrow, keep up!". He's looming in the background all the time and inevitably changes the course of the story. But no one knows when. Hey Darkwing....Have you got a script? I'd be interested in browsing through it. No promises though. May be interested in your shorter project.
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#19 largento

largento

Animated Puppet Parodist

• Hash Fellow
  • 3717 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:22 AM

And a 2-second Google search already comes up with some pre-production art for you. :-)

Posted Image

#20 Darkwing

Darkwing

• 2627 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:44 AM

Ooo! Zombie munchkins! How cool! Dorothy needs some ruby red brains to get home. :D Or Dorothy thinks a zombie is a scarecrow and she's all sweetness and light....."Come on Scarecrow, keep up!". He's looming in the background all the time and inevitably changes the course of the story. But no one knows when.

Hey Darkwing....Have you got a script? I'd be interested in browsing through it. No promises though. May be interested in your shorter project.

y'know, I think I'll post the script anyways. I know that risks someone stealing it, but I'd at least like for you guys to see what it would have been like

#21 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:58 AM

And a 2-second Google search already comes up with some pre-production art for you. :-)

RATZ. Already taken.

Looks like we'll have to go with Holmes's flick "Nude Bimbos With Chainsaws Do Oz" - An oozefest coming to a Theatre near you....

(uh...Did I really say that?...and I'm not about to google it to see if it's already taken)

#22 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

That's mad!
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#23 robcat2075

robcat2075

persistent smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24049 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

If i were going to suggest an alternative project for the next A:M Film, I'd suggest adapting some PD sci-fi or adventure novel. Something from Jules Verne or HG Wells or AC Doyle or Burroughs... that sort of vintage. Something with bug-eyed monsters and other strange creatures and a preposterous vision of space travel or other far out retro-future concept. All the better for animation.

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#24 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

Mmmm....and they'd be Public Domain too. And have a ready made fan base. I'd prefer an original story, but a short would be more apt for that.
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#25 Darkwing

Darkwing

• 2627 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

y'know, there was an old concept of mine, actually the reason I bought AM in the first place. It was a sci-fi short series thingy that involved a guy (he was actually non-human, but looked human) who's name was Captain Heroic. It originally was supposed to be sort of an homage to like 60s sci-fi. He flew around in some sort of advanced saucer like fighter and he basically was a super-hero in space, fighting against his arch-nemesis, Lordship Goriath. I was like 14 when I made the originals with Anim8or. I had since then sort of made the concept more advanced and less cheesy, but I never followed through with it. If an original sci-fi that is sort of retro-ish is what you want, I could always pull out my old Captain Heroic stuff and let you guys have a look over it and mold it or something

#26 mouseman

mouseman

pixelstix

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1166 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:35 PM

I think it might be nice to have smaller teams work on shorts. Maybe 1 month planning (script and storyboard), 1 month modeling and voice recording, 2 months animating, 1 month post-production. The movie-length ones are a little overwhelming.

- Chris
Only obsessed people ever accomplish anything. - M. Ashton
My friends dream of retiring to play WoW full time. I dream of retiring to animate with A:M full time.
Design Dynamics and Hit and Run and Eggs, Potatoes, and Bacon

Browse and add information to the Hash Wiki!

#27 zandoriastudios

zandoriastudios

AM:Expert

• Hash Fellow
  • 3942 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:46 AM

More pictures from the animated "Dorothy of Oz". The stuff looks gorgeous, and even though we COULD create this look in A:M, the fact that it is a public domain property means anyone (with more experience, money, and distribution) can too.... It reinforces my opinion that creating ORIGINAL intellectual properties is more worthwhile...

Attached Thumbnails

• oz_gallery_5_2010_a_p.jpg
  • oz_gallery_4_2010_a_l.jpg
  • oz_gallery_2_2010_a_l.jpg
  • oz_gallery_7_2010_a_l.jpg
  • oz_gallery_10_2010_a_p.jpg
  • oz_gallery_11_2010_a_p.jpg
  • oz_gallery_12_2010_a_p.jpg

Will Sutton

Zandoria Studios

#28 NancyGormezano

NancyGormezano

Runs With Scissors

• Film
  • 7686 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 06:10 AM

Gorgeous. Yummy. Absolutely love the character styling. I am fascinated by the "teacups" and most especially the "vase/urn gate". They definitely used RS Prussia (or more likely ES Prussia) - an ornate porcelain manufacturer (circa late 1800's-early 1900's) for their reference for the vase gate. I am familiar with the design because I had inherited some ES Prussia pieces. I held onto them for quite some time until ebay convinced me otherwise. EDIT: The style of the characters is familiar...reminds me of someone who use to frequent this forum?

Edited by NancyGormezano, 06 November 2010 - 05:28 AM.

#29 animas3D

animas3D

Craftsman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

Nice production design. Thanks for posting it.
When you're smilin', the whole world smiles with you - Louis Armstrong

#30 TheSpleen

TheSpleen

Animation:Master

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • 3849 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:24 AM

very good work
"To be honest....I animate and design to make myself laugh. And if I accomplish that then I have succeeded!
And in turn others as well will laugh too."