Hash, Inc. Forums

Selection draws grey boxes instead of transparent

wildcard

Hi Folks,

I've an issues with AM and I'm not quite sure where to start looking for a fix.
It's has been 4~5 possible more years that I had to set AM aside for other projects, hobbies and other time consuming things like family...
A lot has changed, AM has it's share of updates as well as my own system OS & hardware.

I'll be using my training wheels again to familiarize myself with AM again, but got an annoying selection issue to deal with first.

Running on Win10, 64Bits OS, GTX 980ti
Both AM32 and AM64 version 17g are installed and both have the issue.

Only with the 32bit version there is an render option for Direct3D v8, that fixes the issue, but bind me to AM32

I've an 64bit OS and I would assume AM64 would be able to take advantage of some of the advantages a 64bit OS has to offer.

Did some searching, got some hits like the suggestion to use Direct3D rendering instead of openGL, but I'm keen to know if there is a fix/workaround to make it work for AM64

32Bit_DirectX V8.png

AM32V17_OpenGL.png

• Hash Fellow

Welcome back to A:M!

The primary advantage of the 64 bit version is access to larger RAM, RAM over 3GB or so but it's rare for A:M projects to need even that much in the modeling or animating stages.

Rendering to very high resolutions with very complicated scenes may push at that limit.

The overall speed of the program will be only slightly faster in the 64-bit version.

Does your 64 bit version have a Real-time Driver choice of OpenGLOpenGL3? Try switching that and restarting.

And, old stand by advice... are your graphics card drivers up to date?

Is there a reason to still be using v17?

Thx Robcat for the swift response...

Don't have a subscription based copy, got the full package way back and it allowed me to use updates up to v17, seeing I'm just started again, I'm not keen on jumping straight on a new subscription just yet.
And was hoping to make due with what I got at the moment.

If this issue has been solved in the newer released version 18?19 or what ever is current and the 64bit version is compatible with Windows 10 and doesn't have any of the selection issues I am currently experiencing, I might consider it.

But if possible, I'm attempting to avoid spending money this early, not even sure if I can back in to AM and be able to enjoy it as I used to do.

As for OpenGL3, did some searching, this has been added to V18 and it's not listed for V17 assuming the wiki hold correct information.
I doubt it can be used in V17.

Getting a gut feeling I'll be stuck using AM32, but keen to learn if AM works well on Windows 10 with a GTX card instead of a Quadro and with out selection issues or other annoying visual corruptions :)

• Hash Fellow

One more thing...

If you make your selection, gray box and all, then use the period key to invert and revert your selection, is the selection still a gray box?

If you make your selection, gray box and all, then use the number pad to switch to another view and back again, is the selection still a gray box?

The 32-bit version should work as intended in Windows 10, none-the-less.

Any kind of screen update, adding CP's zooming, panning, changing viewing angle results the screen returns back to normal.
So it's workable, it's just highly annoying that when attempting to select items, everything within the selection turns grey completely masking what's in the selection from view. On top of this, reducing the selection, doesn't reveal, undo the masking. It's stay's masked, until selection is released/confirmed and an object is selected or a change to the screen is made.

A well, stuck with AM32, Direct3D for now I fear...

• Admin

Definitely reads as a graphics driver issue.

I'd research that with respect to your specific graphics care and see if you can install an updated driver (or revert to an earlier driver) that will address the issue.

As for using only 32bit... don't limit yourself unnecessarily... install both 32 and 64bit as you can use them as necessary as the issue at hand seems to be limited to that limited case.

• Hash Fellow

As for using only 32bit... don't limit yourself unnecessarily... install both 32 and 64bit as you can use them as necessary as the issue at hand seems to be limited to that limited case.

Yup, you can do your modeling and animating in 32-bit and then if somehow you end up with a huge project, 64-bit is there to render it.

• Hash Fellow

Another idea to try...

SPACE forces a redraw of the screen

ENTER forces a deselect

What happens if you hold down one of those and release it just before you finish your selection box?

Also... you don't have to use the bounding box to do selections. The Lasso and Polygonal Lasso are almost as quick.

:yay: Oh nice! :yay:

Holding down the space bar, kind of gives me a flickering shutter effect, but at least an option to see through the grayish barrier blocking my view otherwise, this makes things very workable, not ideal, but better than what it was.

I'm using a GTX game orientated card for I still very frequently kill some time playing a video games, downgrading drivers isn't really a valid option as new game release often require the opposite and the latest driver updates.

As it frequently gets updated, I might get lucky and the issues gets resolved over time, but I'm not counting on it.

As for other video cards, besides the onboard integrated GPU in my i7, my previous generations cards either died, passed on to others or sold. But I'll dig through my old GPU collection, might even have an Quadro card laying, if it's PCIe I might try it.

Anyway's attached a quick video of what I'm seeing, for describing what I'm seeing and getting others to actually understand what I'm seeing isn't one of my strong points ;)

https://filenurse.com/download/f7e80262b2f5a4e683c113f69ececa77.html

Uploaded on: 2017/20/06
Accessible until: 2017/27/06

• Hash Fellow

Yeah, that looks about like what I expected.

If the spacebar thing is adequate, good, but I'd still recommend using the 32bit/Direct3D version for your everyday work. The performance difference between that and the 64 bit version will be miniscule.