Hash, Inc. Forums

Papa Bears Face Rig

fae_alba

I am working on Papa Bear's face rig. Today's task is to work on the eyelids. Up till now I've always controlled eyelids with a pose slider and manipulating cp's in muscle mode, but that created a lot of keyframes and made it nearly impossible to have the right and left eyelid work the same. So this time I wanted to try using bones. To facilitate this I added more eye rings as well as changed the sape of the eyeball from an oblong to a normal sphere.

So far I have three bones for the eyelid, one controlling the center of the eyelid, and one on the inner side and outer side of the eyelid. The inner and outer bones of an orient like constraint to the center bone. So far the only cp assignments are to a single cp on the leading edge of the eyelid. This set up works great until you get half way through the blink, then the eyelid begins to penetrate the eyeball. The rig needs to control the next spline ring and possibly the one outside of the second ring as well. My thought is to add a second set of bones (and possibly a third) arranged the same as the first, and constrained to follow the first with some sort of lag. I just can't figure out how to build a constraint so that the second (and maybe third, don't forget that third one!) so that it only follows when it needs to to prevent the eyelid from penetrating the eyeball).

Capture.PNG

• Hash Fellow

I also use second and third bones in my eyelid rigs. I do them as regular fans. The second bone is 66% orient-like to the first and the third is 33% orient-like to the first. I don't try to lag them. They are always in fan mode and they always keep the eyelid from sinking into the eye.

• Hash Fellow
I also use second and third bones in my eyelid rigs. I do them as regular fans. The second bone is 66% orient-like to the first and the third is 33% orient-like to the first. I don't try to lag them. They are always in fan mode and they always keep the eyelid from sinking into the eye.

I'll note that the percentages of the fanebones can vary. Sometimes more or less can work better in a spot but i start with an even distribution.