Photo

2_18_04 wip

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#51 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23982 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

Looks really good, Robert! Are you attending Animation Mentor?

Five years ago I did!

Robert Holmén
------

Got an A:M question? Come to Live Answer Time.   Saturdays, Noon CDT (1700 GMT)

Watch the 2017 "Summer Memories" Image Contest Awards

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

this is only a ... my gallery of A:M tests

87,848 pushed!: the #1 heavy push on Youtube

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#52 KenH

KenH

Blind Lord of all he sees.

• Film
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13769 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

In the chor, I thought the bucket was moving from side to side across the screen. Looked good. But this looks good too.
Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models
Get your AM problems fixed at AM:Reports

#53 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23982 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:26 PM

I thought the bucket was moving from side to side across the screen.

I'm not sure what you mean.

Robert Holmén
------

My tutorials All my most beloved tutorials in one convenient location. Except for the ones I've forgotten about.

Big thanks to... Roger (again!), Shelton (it's huge!), NancyGormezano, Roger, cribbidaj, thefreshestever, Tom, Dalemation, Simon Edmondson, thejobe, Rob_T (2 more x), agep (again!), itsjustme, jason1025(+1), dblhelix (+1),markw, Roger (3x!), mouseman (x 2!), Xtaz, agep, Gerry, thefreshestever, dblhelix (twice!), jason1025, Luuk Steitner, PDM, Rob_T and Dhar!

#54 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 03:58 PM

Yeah, in this chor, he's moving all over the screen trying to lift the bucket. And when he lets it go, he does a backward somersault.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

Vista Home Premium 64 bit/AM v15/ATI Radeon HD3870/8Gb 800mhz DDR2 RAM/e8400 Processor
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#55 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, in this chor, he's moving all over the screen trying to lift the bucket. And when he lets it go, he does a backward somersault.

That one isn't Robert's. The one you refer to is the alternate animation so we would have something to use in the edits until Robert finished his piece and it gets rendered.

#56 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23982 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:18 PM

This isn't everything it could be, but will it do for the purposes of SO? Attached File  2_18_04PolishingE_mp4b.mov   5.7MB   79 downloads edit: I dont' have the wings flapping yet. The wing action that came with the chor was making passthrus thru the body. Was that just temp? Should I make another one? Is there another one made?

Robert Holmén
------

#57 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:47 PM

That looks great Robert. :) "Grasshopper Wing Flap.act" is the only action where just his wings are flapping. If you can't use that one, you'll have to make another.

#58 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23982 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

Will this wing flap work or does it need to be bigger? This is a faster motion blur action. Attached File  2_18_04FlapTest.mov   687.79KB   59 downloads

Robert Holmén
------

#59 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:14 PM

First impression is that the flapping is a little anemic, but it's too short a clip for me to really tell.

#60 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23982 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:12 PM

How about this: Attached File  2_18_04FlapTest3.mov   702.45KB   60 downloads

Robert Holmén
------

#61 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

A little too hummingbird for me. Perhaps raising them a little higher will eliminate that.
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#62 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:56 PM

We will only be rendering with 9 passes. Ken's suggestion might help.

#63 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23982 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:43 PM

Here's what the original flapping action looks like Attached File  2_18_04FlapTest4.mov   674.67KB   70 downloads

Robert Holmén
------

#64 KenH

KenH

• Film
  • 13769 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:13 AM

You could use that if you save the action as a copy and just rotate the wings up with the Animate key off. Perhaps it's not the most realistic of grasshopper flapping, but it's what all the other scenes use.
My AM Goodies Store
My T.W.O models

#65 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23982 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

Why does the arm not follow the IK controller when IK is on? This screencap starts in FK, then IK is on when the IK controller appears. But the arm does not follow the IK controller. You can see the arm twitching on both sides of the controller. It's not a case of the arm being stretched too far from the IK controller. Attached File  2010_07_15_10_56_20_612x460.zip   516.32KB   40 downloads

Robert Holmén
------

#66 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

Robert, this is the one scene in the movie everyone can point to and say "Robert did that one". So use whichever flapping action you feel good about. More than anything, I would like you to be happy with your scene. I'll just add the rest of the scene elements and lights and render it. If some of your work does happen to get changed somehow, it will not have been me, personally, that changed it - unless it was because of some technical issue with getting the scene to render.

#67 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:44 AM

Why does the arm not follow the IK controller when IK is on?

In that movie, it looks like you are rotating the forearm bone while the leg is in IK mode. The leg bones are supposed to follow the IK controller, not the other way around. However, the IK on the two front sets of legs are problematic. The biggest problems happen when the upper arm bone decides it wants to flip its roll handle, and it flips the roll handle in circumstances that don't make a lot of sense to me. Euler constraints on the upper arm bone don't fix it. Changing the Roll Method doesn't fix it. If you figure out why it does that, please let me know!

#68 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23982 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:03 AM

Here it is with original flap fixed to not point backwards. It had something to do with the "wing out" pose being a problem.

(To me it looks like a sparrow, but if that's the way the grasshopper flies, that's the way the grasshopper flies. B) )

This is what's uploaded as 2_18_04_RCH22f original flap2.cho

If that will do for you, great. Test out your ability to load it successfully sooner rather than later. There is a new action called BucketHandle.act in the Sc04 folder you will need to be sure to have. That managed the slight stretching of the bucket handle while he was lugging it upward. Normally I'd do that with a pose but that would have meant saving a new version of the bucket.

The hands do not stay perfectly on the bucket handle because I couldn't get the IK to work predictably and so the whole thing is approximated with FK poses. Right now I don't see a way to solve that problem. I'm figuring it's a brief enough scene that it won't get noticed on first viewing by the audience.

Attached Files

Robert Holmén
------

#69 apprentice

apprentice

Craftsman

• A:M User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

Wow! That's quality animation, Robert! If I'm allowed to nitpick...the bucket dropping action was not really readable to me in first viewing because Bill was off screen. Fantastic work!

#70 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:15 AM

Robert, please delete everything in the Sc04 folder except the final prj, the final chor and whatever extra actions and whatnot are used. Please name the chor "2_18_04.cho". It may seem like a simple matter for me to choose the correct files, but when I'm dealing with so many things at once, it is very easy to use the wrong versions of things, and if that happens, who knows when, or if, it will get re-rendered with the correct version.

#71 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23982 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

Wow! That's quality animation, Robert! If I'm allowed to nitpick...the bucket dropping action was not really readable to me in first viewing because Bill was off screen. Fantastic work!

Thanks. The offscreen bucket drop was an experiment and not a successful one. I wanted to NOT cut to a new view of him for the bucket drop because... this is hard to explain without showing it, but with the back ground so far away it was hard to make a new camera position not look like a jump cut. Also the performance of him actually losing his grip was going to be more of a challenge than I was in the mood for.

I hoped I could suggest the bucket slipping out of his hands just by its motion but I never got that to be very convincing.

Robert, please delete everything in the Sc04 folder except the final prj, the final chor and whatever extra actions and whatnot are used.

I think I've got my last version renamed to 2_18_04.cho (I never used a PRJ after I got started). I can't tell if I got the other files deleted because when I update my folder I get a red ! on it so I don't know if what I see reflects what is really in the SVN.

I recommend test loading it to see what you get.

Robert Holmén
------

#72 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:15 PM

Here's a shaded render. If that's what you uploaded, then we're good to go!

Attached Files

#73 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23982 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

Here's a shaded render. If that's what you uploaded, then we're good to go!

That looks like it.

He's going to need some backlight for his dark blue color to show against the dark blue background.

Robert Holmén
------

#74 apprentice

apprentice

Craftsman

• A:M User
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:26 PM

Thanks. The offscreen bucket drop was an experiment and not a successful one. I wanted to NOT cut to a new view of him for the bucket drop because... this is hard to explain without showing it, but with the back ground so far away it was hard to make a new camera position not look like a jump cut. Also the performance of him actually losing his grip was going to be more of a challenge than I was in the mood for.

Ah...interesting.

#75 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23982 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

In that movie, it looks like you are rotating the forearm bone while the leg is in IK mode. The leg bones are supposed to follow the IK controller, not the other way around. However, the IK on the two front sets of legs are problematic.

I'm not animating the forearm bone there, it's flipping back and forth on its own. The IK controller is constrained to the bucket handle and the bucket handle is moving and the body is moving slightly, but in between them the arm is not following the IK controller.

Robert Holmén
------

#76 dblhelix

dblhelix

Craftsman

• Craftsman/Mentor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:45 PM

phew gettin' stressed just reading that... sounds like a perfect time for a yay-choir jamboree, see: :) :D :) :P :) :) :lol: :) :D :) :) B) :) :D :) :lol: these guys are not just standing up but applauding. the grasp after the drop is hilarious. job well done!
Vista Home; AMD Athlon dual QL62; 2GHz; Geforce 8200MG 4G; Wacom Intuos3 6x11

#77 robcat2075

robcat2075

occasional smarty-pants

• Hash Fellow
  • 23982 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:28 PM

phew gettin' stressed just reading that... sounds like a perfect time for a yay-choir jamboree, see:

:) :D :) :P :) :)
:lol: :) :D :) :)
B) :) :D :) :lol:

these guys are not just standing up but applauding.
the grasp after the drop is hilarious. job well done!

Thank you and thanks to the yay-choir too!

I find shots like this dauntingly difficult to sort my way through and the only way they make progress is for me to spend 14 hours glued in my chair and it's rather seldom I wake up and say "yes, I want to spend all of the daylight hours today in a dark room by myself".

And that's why it took four months to do a 15 second shot!

Robert Holmén
------

#78 mtpeak2

mtpeak2

Not a Master

• Film
  • 5767 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 05:59 AM

In that movie, it looks like you are rotating the forearm bone while the leg is in IK mode. The leg bones are supposed to follow the IK controller, not the other way around. However, the IK on the two front sets of legs are problematic.

I'm not animating the forearm bone there, it's flipping back and forth on its own. The IK controller is constrained to the bucket handle and the bucket handle is moving and the body is moving slightly, but in between them the arm is not following the IK controller.

I took a look at the IK setup. Both the bicep and the forearm have euler limits on them. Euler limits tend to fight against a kinematic constraint. Controlling the elbow position with the bicep isn't the best solution for an IK setup either. But, with the simplicity of the IK setup, there's not much else you could do. The euler constraint could be removed to solve the issue, but that will cause other issues when animating.
2008 Rig updated 04/20/2011

#79 HomeSlice

HomeSlice

Ancient Chinese Secret

• Film
  • 4632 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for taking a look at that Mark. The grasshopper was my attempt to use modular pieces of rigs to build up the rigging for any kind of character. So you could just drag a rig for, say, an insect arm into your model, make it a child of the appropriate spine bone, and it would just work. But ... it doesn't "just work" obviously :) I have since abandoned my modular rigging system and have gone back to just modifying my LiteRig if I need something other than a normal biped or a frog/lizard.

#80 mtpeak2

mtpeak2

Not a Master

• Film
  • 5767 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

Deleting just the euler limits on the bicep does help, though. I'm unsure why they are need in the first place. There's also duplicate euler limits on the forearms. You have limits on them in the IK pose, plus a separate limits pose for them.
2008 Rig updated 04/20/2011