Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Mongoose Man

Hey folks, I've been working on a superhero character called the Mongoose. I'm working on the eyes and would love to have your opinion on which eyes would work the best. The character is supposed to be a dark character, but a good guy - kind of like Batman. The one thing that I'm trying to avoid is the "Spiderman look" (like the image number 2). Anyway, I would love to here which one is your favorite. All the best, Nima Anvar

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would keep the inner part of the eyepiece black and make the outline yellow. No reflection or highlights on the black inner part. Set the ambiance of the yellow part kinda high, so that when his face is in shadow, the yellow outline will stand out. I think that'll make him a bit more menancing. As far as the shapes go, Spidey's the classic -- gives lots of peripheal (spelling?) vision and is graphically distinctive. From what I can interoplate from the portion of the costume's chest (#4) the "M" is pretty straight. So, having straight lines for the eyepieces would 'match' the costume design. Maybe make the eyepieces shape like the negative space inbetween the "legs" of the "M" and the center, kinda like: |\ for the right side and /| for the left. As far as the head shape, DarkLimit was very spot-on when he said the head shape itself is like spidey. What kind of character is Mongoose? Arial acrobat, street brawler... ? For instance, if he's a street brawler, then make the head shaped like there's a helmet there. "Gloss" over the ears, after all why give opponets the chance to grab them, etc... Maybe a stylized Roman warrior helmet would work? If he's an acrobat, then the mask/cowl should be very loose (helps with movement and is harder for an advesary to grab and hold on to), except for the eyepieces. One of the things that Gill Kane (whom I still miss seeing stuff from) would do when designing costumes is to look at the contours and muscles of the body and let a costume evolve from that. His Hal Jordan/Green Lantern costume is the perfect example of that. hth mike r.

I think I agree with CRToonMike on this one. I would also make the dark area a little reflective with maybe a slight glow and no, or little specularity, just to get more away from the Spidey look.

• 1 month later...

Here is the update on the Mongoose Man. I've posted some pictures for your review. I also posted a test animation at: [url="http://www.spiceisle.com/anvar/"]http://www.spiceisle.com/anvar/[/url] A big thanks to Mike Fitz, who took the time to go over everything and refine those areas where the model needed help. Thanks again Mike. All comments and constructive criticisms are welcome. All the best, Nima Anvar

Hey NIma, I just responded to your post in the general forum with the video clip. I think your model has come out great, if I do say so myself!!! the mesh is so clean and easy to see.... I don't know, I just love that stuff! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with mr.mongoose! Nice work Mike Fitz www.3dartz.com