Hash, Inc. Forums

Baking transforms reliably

nemyax

What's a good (and hassle-free) way to hard-bake an animation? I mean that the result should be the following:

• All visible transforms from the original animation are recorded to bone channels.
  • All relationships such as IK and constraints are stripped from bones so that only the direct transform animation kicks in.

I tried Bake All Actions, but it didn't give me the results I needed. It appears that this command doesn't really bake all relationship-driven motions: if you delete the model's relationships, the "before" and "after" animations are different.

I need this "barebones" motion for my action importer. When I import simple FK-only animations, the import results look adequate. When I try to import the output of Bake All Actions, the results are unsatisfactory, but still consistent with what you get in A:M with the relationships nuked.

So, is there a way to really really really bake things?

John Bigboote

I want this for a Blender importer that applies animation curves (transformed from A:M animation splines) to bones. Mesh deformations are a different story.

With the baking feature being in the state it's in, I might be better off coding a .bvh exporter for A:M.

John Bigboote

I want this for a Blender importer that applies animation curves (transformed from A:M animation splines) to bones. Mesh deformations are a different story.

With the baking feature being in the state it's in, I might be better off coding a .bvh exporter for A:M.

Have you tried the existing BVH exporter?

It's a plugin in the shortcut menu for an action. It seems to work well, but unfortunately it doesn't have bone orientation adjustment options. And it silently replaces spaces by underscores in names. Both of these things need to be accounted for on the receiving end.