Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Freelance Project

largento

Working on a freelance job, which means I get to work on something other than Wannabe Pirates. :-)

Storyboards and character design have been approved by the client, so I'm working on the modeling.

Close to finishing his head:

heads.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, everybody! It's not going to make me much money-wise, but hopefully it will let me get a foot in the door.

Here's the full body. I don't normally do much decalling, but decided to give the models for this project some texture. The bump map on the hair is probably too subtle to be noticed in the actual animation, but I like how it looks. The character is only going to be seen folded up in a little car, so his body won't really be seen.

4willy_full0.png

And a shaded wireframe for you, Stian!

wireframe0.png

Thanks, Robert!

And here's a first look at the new 2011 Largento 1-seater, no-door, economic, convertible, electric, sports mini car! Everybody's going to want one! :-)

car12.jpg

[EDIT] Here's a shaded wireframe of it...

wirecar12.png

Thanks, David!

This will probably be the last thing for awhile. I've still got more rigging to do and some other pieces and parts for the animation, but not interesting enough to post.

rigging0.png

Very nice! I like the smoothness and the characterfeeling of it.

Go on!

*Fuchur*

Thanks, guys!

I'm reminded of an interview of comic artist Howie Post I read awhile back. He said doing the humor books was easier. Doing the serious books took twice as long to draw, but you still made the same amount of money, so he stuck with the humor books. He said they called the guys who did the serious books "wrinkle artists."

I am *not* a wrinkle artist. :-)

Mark, good looking on all counts! You've developed a very distinctive, fun style that should get you some attention. Broadcast spots = real exposure!

"Wrinkle artists"! That's good, hadn't heard that one before.

Thanks, Gerry! We shall see.

So, here it is! Probably not going to win any awards, but as always, each one of these projects is a learning experience. The original job was supposed to be a 30 second commercial, but by the time I got the gig it had been transformed into two 15 second commercials. When I came in, they had the scripts, the audio and some very generic idea of what the visuals could look like and they wanted the white screen background. I think my ideas were probably too complicated for the short amount of time I had, but I was able to work them in as best as I could. Because I wanted to incorporate the on screen words with my animation, I went ahead and volunteered to do all of the visuals. The "iPhone" dialing was created in Illustrator as an illustration and then I created the frames in Photoshop. I could then time them to the audio in Premiere. The endscreen with the company's logo, I did in After Effects.

Unfortunately, I didn't push to get the final specs right away and did most of the work under the assumption that it would be widescreen. I only found out a couple of days ago, that it needed to be 4:3 standard def. I didn't have time to figure out how to create slaves for each of my processors, so I used multiple instances of A:M (seven, since I have 8 cores) to render and it went really fast. I did all of it using the v16 Beta and it was fast enough that I could do full quality renders along the process.

The woman I was working for told me the client "loved it." I feel confident that I at least gave them more than their moneys' worth.

My first animated commercial:

30sec_spot.mov

Hey thanks, guys!

The timeline was pretty rushed. I started the storyboards and character design on Saturday, the 16th. So, from then to now is 13 days? Admittedly, there was a lot of time lost to learning. But there's no better way to learn than by making mistakes. :-)

Hey Mark, your client need to insert that on their web site and remove the 2d character that they already have. Your character is much better.

Tony, do you know that's the first time I've seen their new website? The one that was up before was all blue with red type (why do people do that?). That 2D image was the character design I did for this. I think I'm a little bit put out by the fact that they are using it. I told them it wasn't for public consumption.

Excellent job Mark!

Some questions on the professional economic part, if I am allowed?

>I told them it wasn't for public consumption.

Didn`t you make some written contract?

What did you base your pricecalculation on?

timewise, days/ hours or finished seconds of the spot maybe?

Or did you make an all inclusive total price?

Did you split the parts of charcterdesign, storyboard, layout and finishing.

And also important (see above): did you set up an extra amount for the using rights specifically?

for instance for presantation purposes, comercial tv, internet, chara for print, for one year, limitless?

Just want to sharpen the awareness hear in this forum, that for pro work a whole lot of aspects should be watched.

• Admin

Congrats Mark. Very nice work.

I predict they will approach you to do more animation... eventually with some damaged vehicles.

Better get to practicing JohnL3D's Explode plugin workflow and Robcat's distortion map methodology. ;)

Thanks, everyone! That means a lot!

Jake, this was definitely a case of me taking almost no money just to get my foot in the door.

That said, I do normally set a price for the whole project rather than an hourly rate. The reason for that being that I'm usually pretty fast and think it's unfair that I should be paid less for the doing the same amount of work as another person, just because I can do it faster. I should be rewarded for that.

I broke down my schedule into parts for the time estimate. It was originally based on what was supposed to be something simpler, but I allowed:

Storyboard & Character Design: 2 days

Modeling and Rigging: 5 days

Animating and Rendering: 5 days

My expectation was that there would be days in between while I waited for approval, but they were really in a hurry, so it was pretty much continuous.

I think I should really work up some sort of contract to use in the future, that's a good idea. This one was kind of by the seat of my pants.

Actually, Rodney, if you'll look closely, you'll see the car is wrecked in both 15 seconds. It's backed into a pole during the first part, and it's messed up pretty good by the time it gets to "3rd" chance. That one goes by pretty quick.

• Admin
Actually, Rodney, if you'll look closely, you'll see the car is wrecked in both 15 seconds. It's backed into a pole during the first part, and it's messed up pretty good by the time it gets to "3rd" chance. That one goes by pretty quick.

D'oh! Can't believe I missed that.

Very nicely done. :)