Hash, Inc. Forums

Render oddity

Having spent the last few days trying to get some maps applied it seemed like a good idea to test them out in a scene.

When I did I got a strange result.

The two figures in the same scene rendered completely differently, even though the settings are the same

S2 012.png

This was the initial result, with the maps in place. ( also found a problem with the hair around the right ear ).

Notice the difference between Bill and Doris?

I went back into the properties panel to make sure the settings were the same, aside from the colour.

Got the same result

The above was all in V17g

Opened the cho file in V18p and embedded everything needed, saved as 001B before testing again,

New Happy Families 001B.prj

It would not render properly as a .PNG file, when opened in Photoshop it refused and flagged a message that it

"could not parse the file format" ?

Tried again with jpg, Only to be told that it could not be saved ?

Finally got a render using TGA as the file format. This is a jpg conversion of that.

STwoV18.jpg

As you can see. There are no shadows on the Bill figure but they are there on the Doris figure. I checked but flat shaded is not selected. If someone has the time, could they kindly point me to the errors of y ways?

thank you

simon

• Hash Fellow

If I delete Bill from the Chor and then drop another copy of him back in, he shades normally.

Of course that loses all the animation, but it tells me something has been set in the chor (rather than in the model) that is creating the flat shading.

If I look in the Chor>Shortcut to Bill 03>Options I find that "Flat Shaded" is ON. Turn that OFF and he will shade like Doris.

I used to have a cat named "Doris" but we had to change it to "Boris"

If I delete Bill from the Chor and then drop another copy of him back in, he shades normally.

Of course that loses all the animation, but it tells me something has been set in the chor (rather than in the model) that is creating the flat shading.

If I look in the Chor>Shortcut to Bill 03>Options I find that "Flat Shaded" is ON. Turn that OFF and he will shade like Doris.

I used to have a cat named "Doris" but we had to change it to "Boris"

You can save Bill's actions in the choreography as an act, then import it under ACTS. Add a Second Bill to the choreography. Scale and position the model the same as the first Bill (don't move any bones). Now import the Bill act into the second bill. Remove the first Bill and you should be good to go.