Hash, Inc. Forums

Question : Modeling and action window.

Malo

Hello,
Able to model using the window "action" is interesting.
However, to my knowledge, we need to export the action in a new *.mdl, and open the new model in a new window, to take advantage of the changes.
Is there a faster way, without having to export to a new *.mdl, but applied directly the action to the origin *.mdl?

Hey Malo.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're asking, it sounds like what you could do to reach that goal would be to create a pose slider for the character.

Or an "On/Off" pose.

The pose will remain with the original character and it can be changed. A pose is very much like an action.

Hope that helps.

Hi Detbear,

Thank for the answer.

Pose can't help me for the use I want. The idea is to use bones constraints (translate, rotate, scale...) to place part of members (weigted and rigged on the axis) . The idea is modeling and rigging simultaneously. Able to model moving models (more natural, and more pleasure for me) and not models in T only, without complicating the rigging.

• Hash Fellow

Generally if you want an MDL that has all the alterations you made in an Action (or the Chor) you need to export a new MDL.

The idea is modeling and rigging simultaneously.

Can you explain that more? I don't understand.

Hi Robert,
http://treser.net/AnimationMaster/2016/export.wmv (27,3Mo)

Here a simple video to explain how to build a model with parts (that are rigged) of body.
You create your librairies (of bodies,fingers, hands, foot, heads, arms...etc. (rigged)), drop and place (scale,modify,rotate...etc.)them.

Is it easier to understand? (I am sorry for my poor english)
My problem, is to find a way to optimised the step between the come back from the action window to the modeling window, without to have to save, open new model and close old action and model.

Hi Malo

I totally understand why this would be a good thing. And I too have always wanted a one-time instant "translate to" , and "orient like" command in modeling/bones mode.

I do not like creating and modifying models via export from an action because in the past, many things did not get exported correctly - like hair, decals, etc (not sure this is still problem).

However, what I currently do, when I am modifying an existing model to create a new model, or wanting to add geometry (and bones and relationships) from an existing model, is to

1) Import the part model (eg arm) into base model (eg body)

2) go into bones mode and select a bone, and then use the "translate", or "rotate" or scale modifiers with the control key pressed, until the part is in the correct place.

Doing it in bones mode will translate, rotate and scale the bone along with the geometry .

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for your reply.

Indeed, it is possible to modify the geometry in the "bone" window via bones, but then the "weigts", smartskins and constraints are not accessible.

I experimented with the hair and decals... it seem that there are no problems now. :)

• ____ 1

Ah yes constraints, (smartskins too?) are a different story - but the weights should be available ?

The relationships should also come in when importing the "part" model, and yes constraints might have to be reset after.

But I agree, doing it in an action that could directly change the model would be nice.

But I'm guessing that's a whole other type of "mode" that would have to be indicated (eg like bones, modeling, action, relationship, new mode, etc)

I gave it a try but CP weighting isn't in effect when you move a bone in the model window.

I imported a weighted/boned arm into a body model and the arm weights came in - I could also manipulate the arm hierarchy without disturbing weights - so I am not understanding this comment.

I want to say, % of weighted don't work. A CP whish as 50% BoneA and 50% BoneB, if you move it with Crtl key, it will be 100% BoneA and 0% with boneB.

I am not finding that - I have cps weighted 50-50 tube/bone2 and I rotate bone2 in bones mode and the weighting doesn't change (16b/32 - did not try in 18)

It also doesn't change if I rotate tube bone

EDIT: just tested in 18p/64 and the weighting still holds

rotatebonegeomcpweights.jpg

Edited by NancyGormezano

In your picture the % of the weight don't work too.
See this picture to see the difference :

in Bone window the % of the influence of the bones don't work. (as your picture)
In action window, that work.

rotate.jpg