Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

Deep One

Hey all!

Well, this guy isn't completely finished, but man is he close. Modeling, rigging and smart-skinning are all done. I just need make some poses for his hands, a bunch for his face, and... oh yeah, um, texturemap him.

I know the showcase is for -finished- stuff, but I really like the color scheme as it is, and decided to try it out. Made something enjoyable, so I brought it into Photoshop and Fireworks and did a bunch of post to it.

Thanks for looking!

the_deep_one.jpg

-- Ross

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lookin' good. Do you plan to make the scaly part of his lower area blend into the abdomen? Kinda looks like he's slipped into some tight spandex.

Aside from that, lookin' good. I do look forward to seeing him move about.

This merman will eventually be duplicated and distorted in some ways to make a school (herd? pod?) of mer -men and -maids. They'll be an important part of a short student movie. Heh... that'll be a while in the making, though.

Thanks, Grubber! :) There'll be more soon, school permitting.

I do plan on blending the scales into skin. That blending has been giving me trouble. It has to happen on a few channels (spec, highlight, etc) to work, since skin and scales should appear differently.

/me is always looking for lighting tips

/me is also a fan of IRC. ;)

There's a very handy thread here that gave me the idea for the lighting. I kept the render camera still while I played with a white key light and a bluish fill light (the defaults), getting some different angles and intensities. Then I layered with screening in Photoshop, played with their various opacities, and there 'tis. I'm more used to layers than 3D lights, so for me, it was a much more natural approach.

I also took a copy of that finished merman, set his layer to screen, lowered the opacity, and did a fat Gaussian blur on it. That's why it looks sorta like the Dreamy Photo plugin.

I need to get that plugin, come to think of it.

• Admin

I'll say I like the layout of this one. Looks like a movie poster...

BUT the real reason I'm posting is OFF TOPIC.

The recent use of links to navigate the forum is You linked to a file using a word search option... ultra cool.

I was just looking at some of the things others have been doing concerning linking other posts... the idea hit me that Hash or someone else might be able to put together a page that linked to interesting subjects, images, etc in the forum... a kind of forum highlight page if you will.

John taught me one himself a few posts ago:

How to drill down into a thread to arrive at the exact post:

Example, to go to John's post that 'clued' me in click the following link:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1079&st=135

and now Ross added the word search with highlight:

http://www.hash.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3676&hl=conch

&hl=conch being the option to highlight the word conch in a thread search

Maybe I should read the forum Help files, eh?

At any rate, whether creating mermen or posting cool forum links you have my attention! :D

• Admin

I should have added:

I like the language/characters in the background.

Any info on that...

Have you designed a language?

...Built your own fonts?

How did you get it in the image? Inside A:M? Post Effect?

I'm curious.

Thanks for that note, Rodney. I was wondering if there was a better way to link within the forum.

That script is a TT-font called Cthulhu Runes. Having plucked this character idea from the canon of H.P. Lovecraft, it seemed fitting. It also looks neat. :) Not my own creation, I must confess. I stumbled on it long ago.

It is a post effect. I'm too fond of tweaking my art to let a one-frame render escape unmolested. In Fireworks, I typed out a bunch of nonsense into a text box, set the font to the runes, shrank it, screened it, and made a copy that was offset and blurred.

(Yep. Meet my best friends, Screen Layer and Gauss Blur.)

• Admin

Thanks for the info!

Good thing you told me it was typed in randomly... I'd hate to think I might have gone in and tried to decipher the thing! :lol:;):huh:

Don't know if I'll do anything with all the info I'm accumulating concerning forum postin but it (like a lot of other things I learn here) may be of use... some day.

Thanks!