Hash, Inc. - Animation:Master

We have movement!

Hey guys. I've been working on that experimental head I did a while back and I'm up to a minute of animation. It's really just a test but it's a little short in itself. I hope you like it. I would value any crits on it as I want to put this on my portfolio, so don't hold back. :)

PS I'll be putting in a puff of dust to make him sneeze when I get my video editor.

Gerry.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woops didnt mean to post twice but I just thought of something..I'm "trying" to rig my characters mouth and its the only thing holding me behind. I tried Victor Navones technique, how did you rig that face..because that animation is really good, thanks..

*cough* The lungs are built into the stand *cough* :D

Brandon: Thanks and sorry to disappoint you, the mouth uses Victors method. I chose it because it give you "on the spot" freedom to alter an expression, plus you don't have to fiddle around with cps to make them in the first place. You should give it a try as it's not as complex as it looks.

haha :D I actually still have it rigged that way...anyways, how can you use it when his head isnt round? Did you smart skin it so that the lip would slid over the jaw correctly? Sorry to ask questions on your own thread but I love the animation and facial expressions!

I had to weight the cps around the mouth so they moved properly. Each mouth bone controls a line of cps. So mouth bones start a chain reaction and move the skin all the way up to the cheek and eye area (which are connected to other bones).

Thats exactly how my setup looks and I just read about cp weighting and I love it..the only thing is whenever I move anyof the bones on the bottom they move the cps on the top lip too and the teeth. Is there any way to make the weighting ignore some select cps? Thanks

I take it you're using the "fall-off capsule". That's too limiting. You have to weight the cps by hand especially in the mouth area as there's so much crossover with the capsules. It's slow at first, but once it's done, it's done. :) See the online reference about weighting manually.

Thanks for the complements! :) I actually modeled him on Geri so I'm chuffed you recognised him(I guess you didn't see the previous modeling thread). Unfortunately no body to go with him. I'm working on another project which will make use of all Geri taught me though. :D

... chuffed...

Okay, I'll admit it, I had to look that one up. :lol:

http://english2american.com/dictionary/c.html

I'm using Geri as the reference for an elderly chap of my own, I'll probably try a cross between Victor Navone's and Jason Osipa's set ups, but with so many projects screaming for attention, it'll be awhile before I dive into that one.

This clip also inspired a museum piece that I plan on working up for the 9 Months 30 Seconds group. Thanks.

http://www.fiercefire.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

Steve P.